New York-New York City

Prospect Park Boat House /late start time, please help...

I booked the Prospect Park Boat House (Audubon Society) for my April 16, 2011 wedding.
The venue will not let the wedding start untill 7pm, NO EXCEPTIONS! (I tried everything already)
The problem is my fiance doesn't want to see me before I walk down the aisle (Which I respect) and the sun sets at 7:30pm that day.
Even if we start the ceremony at 7pm sharp, the sun would be down before the ceremony ends.
I am concerned we won't have any good light for photos together, I am a photographer so the photos are the most important thing to me.
We are also concerned with the late start time because our  guest won't sit down to dinner till around 10pm.
Dancing wouldn't start till around 10:30 and will go till 12am.
It just seems like a really late night.

Am I freaking our over nothing?

The one alternative we came up with was to have the cermony somewhere else at 5pm. The only venue we would even consider is the Brooklyn Society of Ethical Culture. After the cermony the guests could walk the half mile thru Prospect Park to the Boathouse for 5 hours of eating and dancing. We would hire a van for those who don't want to walk.

Is the 2 venue option just going to be a ligistical pain? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Re: Prospect Park Boat House /late start time, please help...

• edited December 2011
    - I would see each other before the ceremony - I get that your FI wants to see you for the first time when you walk down the aisle, but even if the start time was different, an hour is entirely not enough time to do pictures, and it's a waste of money.  99% of my clients that do pixx during the cocktail hour have that regret.

- Otherwise, if he won't budge then I would recm'd having the ceremony off-site.  Either a BSEC or what about another park downtown - Camden Plaza, Bklyn Bridge Park, or even the First Unitary Universal Church.
  • becgurbecgur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the advice.
    I don't think my fiance is gonna budge, so I should probably stop bothering him about it.
    I agree with you about the cocktail hour and I dont want to miss a thing!
    Looks like we will book BSEC and use the time after the ceremony for photos.It's so hard to make the final decision!
    I just hope people don't feel annoyed that they have to schlep all over town.

Only annoying thing is BSEC says we have to set up and break down the chairs.

• edited December 2011
    dont worry about it.  i am getting married in a church in brooklyn and my reception is in the bronx.  i have actually only gone to weddings set up like that. ppl who dont want go between places will just go to the reception. it will all work out!
  • BookPenaBookPena member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Having your ceremony at another site sounds amazing.  It's a win/win for you and your fiance, and you get everything you desire, a ceremony without seeing each other before, beautiful lighting for pictures, and you will be there on time to enjoy the whole cocktail hour and reception.  It sounds like it would eliminate rushing and make the whole day flow smoother and eliminate some stress!  Congratulations!
  • becgurbecgur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much for your help and advice!
    We are going to book BSEC for 5:15 and the the Boathouse for 7!
    Now I can breath easy!

have any of you been to weddings at BSEC or the Boathouse? I'd love to hear some reviews.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards