New York-New York City

NYC Make up artist?

I'm torn on if I should spend the money on a makeup artist for our wedding.  Does anyone have any suggestions/price range?

We're looking for someone who would travel to Chelsea.

Re: NYC Make up artist?

• edited December 2011
    i am using Christina and Valdez from Kimara Anhert.  it's about $4000 for both, they are going to be doing make up for 11 people (me, bridal party, mom, grandma and FMIL). 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersphoto 307df189-2dc4-4bea-9b76-9ac6ceda8155_zps59ea37ee.jpgphoto c779d75a-0807-4fcc-b206-432ab43bdb6d_zpsf12ebd56.jpg
  • edited December 2011
    Maureen Pedala gets fantastic raves here, and has for years:
    www.nyweddingmakeup.com/
  • lifeislovelifeislove member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to "go out on a limb" by saying this, however this is the way I see it.
    Every event we attend on a day to day basis we all do our own make-up, why should my wedding day be any different.
    I know some might find my comment a little "cheap sounding" but honestly you got to ask yourself this question:
    With all the money we're all going to spend on countless items on our check list, the one's we can do ourself, and can do ourself {we do it everyday} should be done so we can use that saving to off-set all these expenses.

By not indulging in that luxury, I'm going to save couple thousand dollars, which I will direct to extra days for my honeymoon! lol

Anyone agree, or am I coming off cheap?
    Amy Sanchez
  • edited December 2011
    i'm getting sally duvall to do my makeup.  i am super picky about my makeup and she came highly reviewed so i went to her for a trial.  loved her (and how i looked) so i booked her for my wedding.

i've also heard great reviews for sissi chan and sachiko yanase.

for me, spending the money on my makeup was worth it because a well trained makeup artist can do things that i would never be able to do myself.  i think the biggest thing is that they know how to make the makeup look fabulous in pictures and have it last the entire day.   i had my makeup done for a friend's wedding and the contouring and highlighting they do on your face is very flattering.  you will look at your wedding pictures for the rest of your lives so in my humble opinion i think that's an expense well worthwhile.   plus, since i do my makeup every other day of the year, i want to be a bit spoiled on my wedding day :-)

Visit The Knot!
  • edited December 2011
    amy, if that's what you want, i don't think it's cheap.  i would suggest you go heavier on your makeup because if you don't, you will come off paler than normal in the photographs. 
    i can come off ghostly looking in pics because i wear very minimal makeup, so Christina is doing a natural look on me, but heavy enough so i look good in pics... personally, i wouldn't know how to do that. 

we also have 2 hair people and 2 nail people coming... i'm of the mind, we are spending all of this $ on everything else, why wouldn't we spend a little more to make sure everyone looks their best!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersphoto 307df189-2dc4-4bea-9b76-9ac6ceda8155_zps59ea37ee.jpgphoto c779d75a-0807-4fcc-b206-432ab43bdb6d_zpsf12ebd56.jpg
  • MrsKocalMrsKocal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My MUA was one of my favorite vendors of the day - Tricia Catenaro, www.tenhairandmakeup.com. Reasonably priced and totally worth it.  I could never have made myself look like she made me look, and I think I do a reasonably good job on my day to day makeup.  A professional MUA can make you look beautiful and put-together all day, which is what you want.  And it shouldn't cost you thousands of dollars! There is no rule that says you have to pay for your bp's makeup.  Most of my bm's did their own and that was fine by me.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker imageimage
  • alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I normally wear almost no makeup and I would not for the wedding, except I think its necessary for the photos. I want to look and feel my best since we're going to be looking at these photos for a very long time!

I had my makeup done by jackie schneider for my engagement shoot and it was totally natural looking. She's awesome and very reasonable. www.jackieschneiderbeauty.com

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • edited December 2011
    I also hired Sally Duvall.  She is great (works closely with Stacy Pitt).  I left my trial feeling like myself...only enhanced and completely beautiful.  At other trials I felt like I was ready for the stage.

Sally is worth the money.
  • kriserinkriserin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Sally Duvall for my December wedding and she did myself and 9 others.  Everyone was so happy with how their make-up came out.

She was around $1,000 for the group.

She was great to work with the day of the wedding but just a suggestion ask her to come a little earlier than you need her to since she ran late for my trial and on my wedding day.
  • edited December 2011
    I felt  the same way about the expense but I hardly ever wear makeup and I don't feel confident that I'll be able to do a good job the day of, especially with the possible nerves/stress.  But I went for the more modest end of the spectrum price-wise.  

Shoppergirl, someone I didn't go with was Joann Robertson, but she is offering free trials on Feb 26 in midtown so you might want to check her out.  Her website is down but her email is beautejysljo@yahoo.com.  She quoted $350 for just the bride (hair and makeup), $175 for each attendant  or $1k for 6 people.  
    April 2010 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Romantic Pic
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm looking at the team from Prive in SoHo - they travel all over the city and are fabulous. They may give you a deal if you book hair and makeup! I would ask them.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Ladies!
    I am Jess, a hair and makeup artist out of NYC. After receiving a few awesome recommendations through theknot.com I decided to make a profile so I could take a look around and see what all of the buzz was about. My partner and I run a small biz called PRIMP Hair & Makeup. We are two fun loving creative girls that just love getting ladies all gussied up for a special day. Because we are working girls and we know how expensive "wedding" hair and makeup can get, we keep our rates super affordable and offer travel as well . If you would like to see recommendations, info, pics, pricing ect. Please feel free to email me @ primpnyc@gmail.com . Hope I could be of help.
    Cheers,
    Jess
  • edited December 2011

Hi, my name is Lauren Lazaro and I am the owner of Rosina Bella, a Special Occasions Beauty Business,(www.laurenlazaro.com/" target="_blank">www.LaurenLazaro.com), which allows me to cater my professional beauty services to women all over the tri-state area.  I have been featured on “My Fair Wedding with David Tutera” as well as “Platinum Weddings” and  would like the opportunity to work with you.

My experience as a freelance celebrity makeup artist has granted me the pleasure to work with such names as Taylor Swift, Kelly Ripa, Mel B. from the “Spice Girls”, Ivanka Trump, Regis Philbon, Jon Bon Jovi as well as many other celebrities. Currently I'm a freelance makeup artist at ABC “Live with Regis and Kelly” and “Who Wants to be a Millionaire”. 

I would love the opportunity to work with you on your special day so please feel free to contact me at 917-538-3297 or Lauren@RosinaBella.com.

• edited December 2011

Hi, my name is Lauren Lazaro and I am the owner of Rosina Bella, a Special Occasions Beauty Business,(www.laurenlazaro.com/" target="_blank">www.LaurenLazaro.com), which allows me to cater my professional beauty services to women all over the tri-state area.  I have been featured on “My Fair Wedding with David Tutera” as well as “Platinum Weddings” and I would like the opportunity to work with you.

My experience as a freelance celebrity makeup artist has granted me the pleasure to work with such names as Taylor Swift, Kelly Ripa, Mel B. from the “Spice Girls”, Ivanka Trump, Regis Philbon, Jon Bon Jovi as well as many other celebrities. Currently I'm a freelance makeup artist at ABC “Live with Regis and Kelly” and “Who Wants to be a Millionaire”. 

I would love the opportunity to work with you on your special day so please feel free to contact me at 917-538-3297 or e-mail me at Lauren@RosinaBella.com.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards