Florida-West Coast

Engagement ring

Last night my FI and I went for a walk on the beach and it started raining and we ran to the car. We get home and My center diamond on my ring is missing. I guess the weld came loose and the diamond and setting fell off. I just started crying and FI was pissed. We could not understand why this happened, I get it cleaned every week and the inspect it too. This is an 8,0000 dollar ring, and it was a leo diamond, which is supposed to be great quality. Well we went to kay this morning and they helped us out and thank GOD we had insurance or we would have been screwed. But my FI ended up upgrading my ring to a 1 and 1/2 carrot solitaire because it is sturdier than my previous ring. Has this happened to anyone else? 

Re: Engagement ring

• edited December 2011
    thats a weird monetary value you've got there. and no. i imagine getting it cleaned weekly could have something to do with why it fell apart?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ceeceed80ceeceed80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i would agree that cleaning could have something to do with it depending on how it is cleaned. also, if you have a habit on knocking it around (i'm pretty clumsy myself) that it could have loosened it if you gave it a good knock. glad you got it taken care of. 
  • edited December 2011
    I am not sure what you mean. I was not crying because the diamond was lost, I was crying because I lost it, I felt like he would be upset with me, i was in a state of shock. I don't care how much things cost, I only stated the price because I was trying to give the whole background to the story. That's all.
  • edited December 2011
    since you have $15k to spend on the 1.5 carat solitaire leo diamond i'd have just gone with a platinum setting if you are that worried about it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know about your situation, but I have heard of women who choose those channel set tiny diamonds, or tiny diamonds around the center stone, and often those small diamons fall out.  It's too difficult to set the smallest of diamonds securely, so they fall out.  Stay away from tiny diamonds.
  • edited December 2011
    I actually just sent my ring to be serviced at Kay as well this week, one of my emeralds on the side setting was loose, and thankfully, I caught it before it fell out.  But they told me the same thing, as long as I keep getting it checked/serviced/cleaned every 6 months, they will replace any stones for free.  But that is weird that it fell out if you go so often!  Is there a different setting you could get?
  • edited December 2011
    I have never heard of a stone falling out the center..but i sure am paranoid now. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ceeceed80ceeceed80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ps - our jeweler told us not to use the cleaning machines you can buy that vibrate the ring around... he told us that it can loosen the stones and wear down the metal in the middle setting... :)
  • edited December 2011
    I am sorry you lost the diamond, but I am glad Kays was able to take care of it for you. I would cry too if I lost a diamond (big or small)  from my engagement ring.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice, no one ever told me to not use their cleaning machines. But I will try some  other method. To further explain, the diamond was in the platinum setting and both the diamond and setting came off, Like the weld that connected the diamond to the ring broke and the weirdest part was that they never told me anything was wrong with my ring. Thanks again for all your help and support.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards