Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Entree Selection Poll

FI and I are trying to pick what we may want on our menu before our tasting in 2 weeks.  We know for sure we will have a filet with red wine demi-glace, a vegetatrian option, and a children's option.   FI and I both will be eating a filet that evening so we are just concerned about the other option being a people pleaser. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Entree Selection Poll

• edited December 2011
    They all sound delish!  I'd steer clear of the pork though, in case some peple don't eat pork; chicken is a safer bet.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • brooks55brooks55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You have to be careful with marsala, lots of people don't care for mushrooms. The potato crusted chicken sounds delish!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_entree-selection-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:da9aa73e-2aa3-4726-bb37-cdc5e2b548daPost:fa2810d2-6348-4fcb-9a6f-ba195327b6ad">Re: Entree Selection Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]They all sound delish!  I'd steer clear of the pork though, in case some peple don't eat pork; chicken is a safer bet.
    Posted by Meggiemuggins[/QUOTE]

Yeah, FI and I were leaning away from it. I LOVE the apple and pork flavor combination but it doesn't matter because I won't be eating it.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_entree-selection-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:da9aa73e-2aa3-4726-bb37-cdc5e2b548daPost:7e1c5818-f728-4e87-9329-2ac19bef9154">Re: Entree Selection Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]You have to be careful with marsala, lots of people don't care for mushrooms. The potato crusted chicken sounds delish!
    Posted by brooks55[/QUOTE]

Each one has something people are picky about, chicken marsala and wellington have mushrooms (I actually hate mushrooms and enjoy chicken marsala because I can just leave the mushrooms on the plate), chicken piccata has capers, some people just don't like cherries, some people don't like pork, and the potato crusted one sounds good but I can't quite figure out what it will taste like. 

I'm too much of a people pleaser to plan an event, I worry too much about making everyone happy and the fact is, that is impossible.
  • peanutty2peanutty2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would pick one of the chicken dishes. Since your other dish is a red meat I'd be worried about people who don't eat red meat/pork but do eat poultry (maybe it's me but I know a lot in this group).  A red meat, a chicken, and a veg option are pretty standard so I think that would be perfect.

As for which chicken - I think marsala is your safest bet for being a "crowd pleaser".  Even people I know who don't like mushrooms like this dish and will just scrape the extra mushrooms off :P  You can't get too caught up in pleasing every single taste.
  • TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto peanutty.  Though I do love chicken picatta!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would choose the potato-crusted chicken with the sauce.  The others have issues with them: mushrooms, capers and lemon, don't eat pork/dry pork, hard to disassemble if someone doesn't want the pastry, etc., cherries, etc.

• edited December 2011
    Yum! Can I come to your wedding?

I'd go with the marsala or the piccata for the best crowd pleasers.  Sure there are people who don't like mushrooms or capers, but those are both dishes in which it's incredibly easy to eat around them. 

• edited December 2011
    I think any of the chicken options would be fine. 

Did you taste the chicken dishes?

I thougth I knew what I wanted for our wedding until I went to the tasting.  Something sound better than taste and something taste better than they sound :)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Marsala!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_entree-selection-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:da9aa73e-2aa3-4726-bb37-cdc5e2b548daPost:9ecf86a1-be26-436a-9697-3820113b5d27">Re: Entree Selection Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think any of the chicken options would be fine.  Did you taste the chicken dishes? I thougth I knew what I wanted for our wedding until I went to the tasting.  Something sound better than taste and something taste better than they sound :)
    Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried any of them yet, we are picking which 3 menu options we want to taste.  So I will probably choose to taste the filet and whichever 2 chicken dishes get the highest number of votes.
  • edited December 2011
    I chose the potato crusted chicken because it doesn't sound like the typical "wedding chicken". Plus, there aren't any "weird" ingredients. If you want to make the meal to be something different and interesting, this is the way to go.

Chicken marsala and picatta are people pleasers, and even if someone doesn't like mushrooms or capers, they can easily pick them out. If you want to really place it safe, I think chicken picatta would be the best choice.

I wouldn't do the cherry chicken because there's no way to get rid of the cherry flavor, and a lot of people don't like the sweet and savory combo.

Avoid pork as many people don't eat it. Plus it has the sweet/savory thing going on.
  • topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mmm I love a good chicken piccata!

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I voted for the potato crusted chicken because I think it sounds interesting. And, I'm all about interesting. The marsala or the piccata come in second and third respectively.
  • edited December 2011
    I voted for chicken Wellington, despite the mushroom issue.  I normally dislike mushrooms - it's a texture thing for me.  That said, they're chopped so finely in beef and chicken Wellington that the texture issue is eliminated.

My second choice is the potato-crusted breast with dijon sauce; it also sounds quite tasty, and - I suspect - would please the widest range of diners.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards