Getting in Shape

Re: Portion sizes

• Great article!  Personally I find it hard to keep track of portion sizes unless I pull out my measuring cups every time I get something to eat (which I'm too lazy to do most of the time).  Thanks for the reminder!
  • I keep measuring cups in the drawer right next to the stove so that I can portion everything out, I will also cook my own stuff separate (ie pasta) so that I can measure it out dry for myself.
  • edited November 2009
    Eating off a smaller plate really helps me with portion control.  Also  I started following recipes with measured porportions instead of just making dinner based on what I "think" is a serving.
  • I actually spent some time one day and measured out things that I often eat into the dishes that I always use so that I know what 1 cup of cereal/pasta and 1 tsp of jelly etc looks like.  I also usually err on the side of caution with portion sizes.
  • I do now. I measure out my cereal every morning.  Once I'm at a weight I'm happy with, I'll stop measuring/counting calories because I have a much better sense of what a "serving" is for my usual foods.

I was astounded to realize that I was eating 2-3 servings of the foods that are so bad for you. 
  • I said always, but it's more almost always.  I try to stick with recipes that are portioned out, and I use my kitchen scale many times each day.

I find it especially handy with cereal.  Just plop the bowl on the scale and pour until you hit 54g, then add another 100g of skim milk and BAM! there's breakfast.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Good topic!  I'm really good about portion sizes; the portions necessary to satisfy me have always been smaller than a lot of peoples' (one restaurant entree usually lasts me an additional 2 meals, if not 3), so I don't always have to measure things out exactly, but I do stay conscious of it just in case.  Like those days when I'm extra hungry, I'll be a lot more careful because I might not realize how much I've eaten.  I've gotten very good at figuring out how big serving sizes should look.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Closed on our house 4-15-11!
  • I always pay attention to portion size.  I have a couple different measuring cups and a food scale that is always out on my counter now. 
  • Haha, I'm the one who voted "I eat what I want, when I want". I just listen to my body... if I'm hungry I eat, if I'm not, I don't! I was raised on fruits and veggies and "weird-health-nut" food from my hippie parents, so that helps too I suppose.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards