Maryland-Baltimore

The Bridal Boutique in Columbia

I know this shop has some really awful reviews online, but can you share any personal experiences you have with them especially ordering and alterations?  Or recommend a store with great alterations that sells the Allure line.  Thank you!

Here's the backstory: I fell in love with Allure 8862 at this shop and the consultant was awesome.  I'm nervous to order from them because of their reviews.  If I bought the dress I want to remove the applique and add a beaded belt along with typical alterations (bustle, shorten, and sew in cups). 

Re: The Bridal Boutique in Columbia

• I wouldn't get alterations done at ANY bridal shop. You pay through the nose. Contact Sheryl Kelm (kelmdesigner@comcast.net). She does a great job, is very affordable, and is super sweet.
  • Ditto PP
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I have been to the shop and the consultants were very sweet though too.  I did end up ordering elsewhere though mostly due to affordability of the dress I purchased, not because of the shop.
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I purchased a bridesmaid dress from them.  I have a very large chest, but not a large waist or hips.  My dress would have been a 10 or 12 without my chest.  After they took my measurements, they told me I needed a 20!  And it was going to cost me extra $$ to order it in my size, plus, I knew I was going to have to pay for alterations for the lower half of the dress to even remotely fit.  I even went online to other bridal stores that said, my measurements would not be a 20, but closer to a 16.  So just in case the dresses were cut smile (like she said) I decided, against the extreme cautions of our consultant, to order a 16.  I was determined that even if I had to starve myself before the wedding or buy red duct tape, that I would fit my chest into that 16!  I lost 6-8 lbs on a heatlhy diet and when the dress came in it fit almost perfectly.  The top fit, and the bottom was a little loose, but not too bad.  The single strap however needed to be taken in.  I opted to do this myself as they wanted to charge $40.  All the other bridesmaids had their straps altered at the shop and mine was the only one that was sewn straight and didn't pucker in the back.  They also did not have ANY dresses in the store over a size 8 for the bridesmaids to try on.  I honestly feel as though they force you to order a larger size so they can upcharge you on the "extra fabric" as well as for the alterations.  I cringe at the thought of how much the dress would have cost me if I had listened to their professional opinion....
  • I went there during my search for a dress.  My consultant was great, but the selection just wasn't there!  Needless to say I ended up ordering from a different boutique in the area.  However I have nothing bad to say about them, although the reviews did worry me a bit too.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland-baltimore_the-bridal-boutique-in-columbia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:85Discussion:2e8fd7c5-e80b-4a67-a4eb-71fa9f942f87Post:eb8ac322-d076-43b3-939b-cc49ae663cb5">Re: The Bridal Boutique in Columbia</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't get alterations done at ANY bridal shop. You pay through the nose. Contact Sheryl Kelm (kelmdesigner@comcast.net). She does a great job, is very affordable, and is super sweet.
    Posted by LoveKiss[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks for the referral! I bought my dress at The Bridal Boutique, and while I really loved my consultant, I was really nervous about them doing my alterations.</div>
  • Wow ... I reached out to them because they have a particular designer that I wanted ... but I'll just go elsewhere. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards