Getting in Shape

tofu

I don't normally post on this board, but i'd love to get your lovely opinions on tofu!  I've had it several times (in our building cafeteria) and I freakin love it!  Where can I buy it? Is it difficult to prepare?  Health wise, is it that good for you?

Re: tofu

• You can get tofu at most typical grocery stores - but a whole foods or other natural good store certainly would.  I would go to vegweb.com for some awesome recipes. The only negative side affect I've heard is something relating to high level of estrogen type hormones - just make sure you aren't eating it every single day especially on top of other soy products.  And make sure you aren't deep frying it (which unfortunately is delecious) and watch sugary sauces
  • I like it in miso soup!  yum!
  • I love tofu! You can find it at most grocery stores, "healthier" grocery stores (i.e., Trader Joe's and Whole Foods), and Asian markets. There are a few different types of firmness, and they're good for different uses. If you want to use tofu in smoothies, I recommend soft tofu. For use in stirfry's, I recommend firm or extra firm. Before you use it in a recipe, I recommend layering a group of paper towels on top of the tofu (on a plate), and then putting weight on top (i.e., a cookie sheet with cans on top, recipe books, etc.). Soaking out the water for an hour or so will make a big difference in taste.
  • edited August 2010
    I eat a good amount of tofu. You can get it at most grocery stores. Sometimes they have an asian or a vegetarian section.

I recommend pressing it for a few hours before cooking. I usually put it in a colander with paper towels over it, and a pot with a few canned goods stacked on top of it to press out the water. That will help the tofu absorb the flavors of the sauce or the dish you're using it in.

You can also get baked, flavor tofu, which is delicious, but a little higher in sodium and more expensive. Regular tofu is quite cheap - like $2 for a pound.

I use it in stirfries, thinly sliced, marinated and cooked in sandwiches. I've browned cubes to use in salads. Recently I used drained, press, raw crumbled tofu and mixed it with some light coconut milk, onion, cashews, golden raisins and curry powder to make a "curried tofu salad" which I ate on bread for lunches.

Vegetarian cooking sites or some vegetarian cookbooks at the library should give you a lot of information on cooking tofu and some good recipes. Tofu has virtually no fat, but is a good protein source, so it's good for you!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • it's hard to cook. ive been cooking it for years and still have trouble sometimes. don't get frustrated though. if you want it a little crispier broil it for like 5-7 mins. i buy the kind thats already cubed because i find it really obnoxious to cut up. i wouldnt worry too much about how much of it you eat either. it's better for you than meat, which miraculously nobody ever has anything negative to say about.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards