Just Engaged and Proposals

A strange question

My fiancee got me a new ring because he didn't like the one he had first gotten me when he proposed because he was quitting his job to go back to school full time and get his degree. He told me that he wanted to get me a ring he liked, and that when he did, it would mean that he felt we were in a stable enough financial possition to begin planning our wedding.

He got me my new ring this past weekend, but now I feel like people may take it against me and think that I pushed my fiancee to get me a new ring when I didn't, this was something he wanted to do. 

Do you guys think that maybe getting a new ring was a bad choice? He's really happy because he got me a ring he's proud of, and I'm happy that I get to finally start planning the wedding (even though he started 2 months ago without me knowing, lol)

help?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: A strange question

• Who gives a crap? 

Your ring isn't about anyone else what the two of you. I get crap for my ring all the time, and I don't care. I just smile and say that my H is so good to me. I'm the luckiest woman in the world. 

Getting a new ring seems like something your Fi needed to do for himself, not just you. It symbolizes to him that now he can be the provider he wants to be. Love yout new ring. Stop second guessing it.. I would absolutely judge a woman that demanded a new ring or a bigger ring, etc... but A woman that upgrades her ring because they as a couple decided to do so? I see no harm in that.
  • I wouldn't worry about what other people think. You know you didn't pressure him into it and that it was something he wanted to do, that was important to him. That's all that matters.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Don't worry about it. People make comments about mine all the time. It's obnoxiously huge, unusual looking shape and setting, and two toned, but it's a family hierloom and I love it. As long as you're both happy with the ring that's all that matters. People make comments, don't let it get to you. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks- YOU are the one who has to wear the ring! I think it's really sweet that your fiance wanted to upgrade you when he was able to.
  • Thanks guys, I appreciate the support :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • All that matters is what you and your FI think.
    Anniversary
  • I got a sapphire, and somebody made the comment that, "Now you'll have something to get her for your 10th anniversary!" Um... I asked for a sapphire because I have ethical issues with diamonds, but thank you for implying that my fiance couldn't afford to buy me what you consider to be a "real" engagement ring.

You just have to ignore people.
  • Ditto pp's...shrug it off if people think it's weird as long as the two of you do not.  If you do feel a need to explain, the truth is very reasonable that it was something he wanted to do for you.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • It makes me a little sad that he didn't feel 'financially responsible' or maybe 'a good enough man provider' with your original ring. That sounds like evil society inflence. 

Otherwise, who cares? Rock whatever makes the two of you feel great. We're delaying buying me a traditional looking engagement ring (it still won't be a diamond; I've fallen for rhodolite garnets!) because we want to spend that money on an incredible, long, honeymoon before we start trying to concieve. Money is finite and how people spend theirs is THEIR business.
  • Who cares what people think! Although, I'm sure you were happy with the first ring he bought you. I think it's sweet! People say crap about mine all the time. Some of the comments I thought were just rude and ignorant.
    TTC #1 since June 2012
  • HisGoToGirlHisGoToGirl member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Do not even worry about what people think! Society is never happy with anything! "It's too big" "It's too small" If you love it and you both are happy...who cares!!! I get "looks" all of the time that silently say, "that's it? That tiny thing?" I'm sorry, I am happy with my 3/4 ct ring! I feel that my husband was so good to me! Nothing matters but you two!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards