Oregon

metro area caterer?

I'm almost convinced not to do the food prep for my 200 person wedding but haven't found a caterer yet. There are alot of good ones, "As good as it gets" looks wonderful and around $13.50 pp for what I'd get seems like a good deal, they also got back to me right away which some other places haven't, so they seem reliable. But I really just want Mexican food -fajaitas, beans, rice, salad, chips and salsa, plain and simple, more authentic than trendy. We'll be at a park so fancy isn't required. We are lucky to have people that can help with pick up, food warming or reheating (4 separate ovens less than a mile from park), set up, restocking and cleaning if needed, they would be paid workers, not guests. Should I try restaurants? Costco?  Stick with the place that looks good but a little too trendy?

Re: metro area caterer?

• Do you have a favorite Mexican Restaurant?  If you do, check with them to see what they would charge for a group that size and what their delivery fee would be.  

Also, see if you can pay for a tasting with As good as it gets; because 13.50 pp is a good price.

• Thank you! We have a couple of favorites but they are small places and enough of a language barrier that I worry about that large of an order, both for the affect that it may have on their business that day and that we may misunderstand the quantities and schedule. I'm definately going to give it a shot though.
    I thought As good as it gets had a good price too, tasting is a good idea as I tend to think "pretty" food doesn't taste as good. It's all about the lard!
  • Baja Fresh caters and it's really good.  It's a "build your own" with tortillas, meat (we've always had chicken and beef), vegetables, rice, beans, cheese, salsa, guac, sour cream...and I think lettuce and tomatoes but I can't remember.  I'm not sure what the per person price is, but they get it for us for all day trainings at a public school, so it can't be that much.
  • bring a  friend who speaks Spanish-it will ease your mind and if that is what the restaurant owners aren't comfortable in English, they will appreciate it, too
  • Good idea. Even native English speaking people have a hard time understanding what I'm talking about sometimes! I should bring someone to translate everywhere...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards