Hawaii

Step-Dad Issue

Hello Girls

Background info: My mother hosted a bridal shower for me 2 weeks ago and the day I was leaving (boarding the plane infact) she mentioned to me that her husband is offended that I didnt ask him to walk me down the aise. My mother married him less than a year ago and I can count on one hand how many times I have crossed paths with him. I dont have a dad and bc he doesnt have any kids of his own he assumed that we could fill in eachothers "missing pieces." The thing is I already asked my best friends dad to walk me down the aisle (has been there for me my whole life) and I wont "unask" him.

When my mother was finished saying that "HUSBAND feels so much of a father to you that he wanted to pay for your whole wedding"...my thoughts were "why didnt he bring that up months ago when we announced our engagement?" I feel it was my moms way of getting in the last word about her husbands feelings towards me though they didnt actually offer any financial support.

The conversation ended and all I said was that i didnt know if she was just venting or if she wanted me to respond...How, and I mean a suble way of doing it, should I incorporate my mom's husband into my wedding?

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Step-Dad Issue

• 55pawsh55pawsh member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awww, sorry to hear about that :( Maybe you could do a father/daughter dance with your mom's husband to make him feel a part of the wedding.

• edited December 2011
    I like the idea of adding a dance for him later.  Or it could be just a little speech at the reception.  But, for the ceremony, he could do a reading (if you're interested in a hand blessing, he could read a poem about it, etc), he could perform the wedding, when your officiant asks "who gives this woman" or whatever--your step-dad could stand up with your friends dad and say 'we do.'
    HTH
  • ETweetETweet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like Brittana's suggestion. Those are great ways to incorporate anyone special into your wedding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you are having to deal with this!  I like the idea of a reading and a dance.  Great ways to incorporate others.
  • edited December 2011
    If you don't want to have him walk you in, don't. Seriously, if he hasn't been in your life that long, it's not a right he gets by default. Get him to MC or something... or do a reading.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards