Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Should I go to the make-up counter at the Mall...?

Hi!

My fiancee and I are paying for our wedding ourselves so I am trying to cut down costs anywhere I can. I have looked up pricing for all of the wedding make-up artist's in my area and they are all to expensive. My thought was to go to the make-up counter at Macy's (Probably MAC) and see if they would be able to show me what products would work for the look I want. Has anyone done this before and been happy with the results?

Re: Should I go to the make-up counter at the Mall...?

• I went to the MAC store.  I went there before my cousin's wedding, which was 6 months before mine, so I was also using that as a trial run for my wedding.  They were ok.  They require a $50 purchace, which is'nt bad compared to what most make up artist charge.  However the day after I got my makeup done, I got the grossest eye infection, so after that I decided I was never gonna go back.  
    Married April 27th 2012
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_should-i-go-to-the-make-up-counter-at-the-mall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:d01e1f78-a151-4994-ba8d-082489bcfc50Post:1f3d41a0-676a-443c-89a0-386bbf57c9ec">Re: Should I go to the make-up counter at the Mall...?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to the MAC store.  I went there before my cousin's wedding, which was 6 months before mine, so I was also using that as a trial run for my wedding.  They were ok.  They require a <strong>$50 purchace</strong>, which is'nt bad compared to what most make up artist charge.  However the day after I got my makeup done, I got the grossest eye infection, so after that I decided I was never gonna go back.  
    Posted by Ginabean42712[/QUOTE]

<div>Sephora and MAC both require a $50 gift card purchase. I did this for engagement pics and rehearsal dinner. I spend money at Sephora anyways, so to me, it's like a free makeup application.</div>
  • I went to MAC for a makeup trial.  The girl spent 2 hours with me, and the makeup she did was gorgeous.  The colors were perfect, age appropriate for me, and just right for a daytime wedding.  I decided to buy everything she used.  I am not kidding you when she rang me up for $450 worth of makeup.  It would have been cheaper if I had just hired a MUA.   In the end, I returned a few products that I just didn't feel I needed (eye cream, eyebrow gel, etc) that I felt I could get cheaper elsewhere, or didn't need, but kept the lipsticks, eyeshadows, primers, etc...but it was still VERY pricey.  I did learn a lot about how to apply makeup and have some nice products now, so that's how I'm justifying the price to myself!
  • i went to a make up counter for make up application for my bachlorette party, because i had been tanning for the wedding so i didn't own the right shades etc. the girl did average at best, i didn't look like a hooker or anything. i  was comfortable going out in public.

i got airbrush make up down for the wedding at a spa, cost of 45.00 and it was worth pretty much every penny and then some. I was so happy and impressed, that I am considering eventually buying the supplies to do my own make up airbrush at home.

money is money and we were totaly on a budget too but this is just not somewhere i was comfortable cutting costs. not only did it make me feel beautiful but it will help me love our pictures even more!
  • I went to Sephora for a make up consult, and the lady did a great job choosing colours and showed me the proper ways to apply etc. When it rang up it all came to nearly $300 so I had a little sticker shock. After I calmed down, I decided what the essentials were that are worth keeping and returned the rest like the $20 concealer brush and $30 eye brow pencil! So I spent a little over $100 on good stuff from Sephora. 
    She used a face primer and eye primer, the urban decay eye primer I think is worth the $20 but I returned the $45 smashbox face primer and got a much less expensive one at Ulta that the lady recommended. 
    I realize now that could have gotten my make up done for the same amount, but now I have make up to keep and I honestly don't like other people touching my face so I'm more comfortable doing it myself. Its totally worth going to the makeup counter, just be aware that good quality make up can add up quickly an may not save you that much. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards