Wedding Etiquette Forum

Your best cold remedy

Cause I feel like butt. And I don't want to be sick anymore. Let me hear it!

Re: Your best cold remedy

• A lot of tea and chicken noodle soup and Vicks.  I also tend to take Vit C more when I am sick, even though according to coworkers of mine, vitamins really don't do anything.  

Also, depending on how crummy I feel I usually allow myself 1 day to sit and do nothing then the next I try and get up and take a small walk or something outside... but then again, I am a weirdo.  
  • Lots of oranges and Vicks Vapo-Rub all over my chest, under my nose, and on my feet (yep my feet).
  • Oh also mucinex works really well!
  • This is weird, but eating some Ramen always make me feel better. And not just any soup, but the gross Top Ramen stuff. I think the salt helps somehow. 
  • This is really strange, but I love pickles and pickle juice for a sore throat. Mucinex is also great.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cold-remedy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d6de59b2-4fcc-4b70-a026-943ab48eb9c1Post:1c9b43ba-1c16-494e-bd38-50f81ad1678d">Re: Your best cold remedy</a>:
    [QUOTE]I make hot toddys out of chamomile tea, brandy, LOTS of honey and lemon. I also drink orange juice with whiskey. people always think I'm an alcoholic for it, but i swear that the alcohol is a necessary ingredient!  It really does help! ETA: Both of those are AWESOME for sore throats!  Hope you feel better soon!
    Posted by MyUserName1[/QUOTE]

<div>I do something similar. I get a shot glass and fill it with honey and whiskey. Then I heat it up in the microwave and drink it. It really helps with when I have a sore throat. </div>
  • If your throat is the problem I found manuka honey to be fantastic! I used it a lot when I came down with Bronchitis and it helped a lot with my throat issues. They sell it in throat drops (well, actually I've never seen it in the states - I used it when I was in New Zealand)...they should have something comparable at any pharmacy. Ask a pharmacist and I'm sure they'd know.
  • I like a drink of brandy for a sore throat.  And a second the prescription cough medicine with coedine....best sleep you will ever, ever have!

• Lemsip.  That's the name of the stuff.

Or alcohol mixed with healthy stuff.
  • Constant comment tea with Blackberry Brandyk, chicken soup (ditto on the top ramen - the salt and the noodles help), and lots of OJ punch (mix OJ, ginger ale and something red to flavor it).

Hope you feel better soon!
  • J&K10910J&K10910 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Zicam, etc (as in the ones that say they'll shorten the length of your cold) are a waste of money.  Don't you think if someone found a cure or a legit treatment for the common cold, they'd have been given a Nobel prize by now?

ETA:  This wasn't directed at anyone specifically, but it usually comes up, and it's something I feel strongly about.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Zicam is what my BIL's sister swears by.  I haven't tried but she thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread.  Not sure if you can get that where you are though.
  • Taking a day off.

I realize it's not always practical or feasible, but taking a day off to just stay in bed, watch TV, and sleep on and off always cuts my recovery time in half.  I also drink a lot of cranberry juice and tea, and suck on honey-mint lozenges.

My father swears by echinachea, but that's more of a preventative measure than anything.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• The English version of Theraflu (I can't remember the name right now, sorry) usually had me feeling better within a day.

Hot tea with honey, lemon and a healthy swig of whiskey.

Lots of juice and chicken rice soup.

Sleep.
  • We have Theraflu! I ought it yesterday. 

I think my problem right now is this stupid dry cough I have. I can't get the irritation to lessen in my throat.

Anna, it's definitely the salt.  It's like a tasty salt water gargle. I usually just take a chicken boillon cube, and put it in hot water to drink.

mm... I wish I had some hot and spicy V8. Hate V8 normally, but damn that stuff was killer at getting rid of sore throats.
  • MyUserName1MyUserName1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I make hot toddys out of chamomile tea, brandy, LOTS of honey and lemon.

I also drink orange juice with whiskey.

people always think I'm an alcoholic for it, but i swear that the alcohol is a necessary ingredient!  It really does help!

ETA: Both of those are AWESOME for sore throats!  Hope you feel better soon!
  • Ha! You are an alcoholic!! :D  My coworker says that even if the whisky doesn't help, you don't care by that point anyway since you don't feel it. :D
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cold-remedy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d6de59b2-4fcc-4b70-a026-943ab48eb9c1Post:0cf3527e-aff8-4bc1-84d9-def93fde2fc4">Re: Your best cold remedy</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ha! You are an alcoholic!! :D  My coworker says that even if the whisky doesn't help, you don't care by that point anyway since you don't feel it. :D
    Posted by Snippylynn[/QUOTE]

Might be true (: 

Eitherway, it helps, doesn't it!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cold-remedy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d6de59b2-4fcc-4b70-a026-943ab48eb9c1Post:5759b085-3c48-4809-975f-acd1f8489b8a">Re: Your best cold remedy</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lots of oranges and Vicks Vapo-Rub all over my chest, under my nose, and on my feet (yep my feet).
    Posted by mari0225[/QUOTE]

<div>Ok you got me, I am a Vicks lover but feet?  What's the dealio with that?  I am very curious...</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Also Snippy I use Delsym (sp?)  for a cough.  I find that no matter how much I stay hydrated or how many cough drops I use isn't enough.  At night I use a prescription strength cough syrup with codeine... it's awesome, best sleep I've ever had.</div>
  • Zinc, Vitamin C, no dairy.  (Dairy promotes mucus).  If you have allergies, take your allergy meds- I have really mild allergies, and only use meds maybe 6 weeks per year.  My doctor said that when you get sick, your body becomes more susceptible to your allergies, so you should start taking your allergy meds as soon as you have cold symptoms.    Cuts my colds in half. 
  • Take a day off to sleep, watch bad TV and eat all the chicken soup you can. Then drink lots of clear fluids (milk increases mucous production). I also find a saline spray helps to clear me up and I like to put those breathe right strip on my nose to help me sleep.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cold-remedy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d6de59b2-4fcc-4b70-a026-943ab48eb9c1Post:e0ed3259-4eed-49a9-8c01-722dbc1158c8">Re: Your best cold remedy</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your best cold remedy : <strong>Ok you got me, I am a Vicks lover but feet?  What's the dealio with that?  I am very curious</strong>... Also Snippy I use Delsym (sp?)  for a cough.  I find that no matter how much I stay hydrated or how many cough drops I use isn't enough.  At night I use a prescription strength cough syrup with codeine... it's awesome, best sleep I've ever had.
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]

I don't know, a mom friend told me to do that cause I was just feeling like poo and I was a skeptc as well but figured at this point what would it hurt, so I went put a generous portion on my foot and put on socks and in the morning I felt soooo much better! I'm not sure how it works but it did, I was stunned!

ETA: Edited for spelling
  • Mari- I am going to keep that in mind next time I get sick

... and all the posts about the booze, I have a lot of "remedies" to test!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cold-remedy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d6de59b2-4fcc-4b70-a026-943ab48eb9c1Post:c9e7955f-acf9-4f86-9bdb-5a542d270cb0">Re: Your best cold remedy</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mari- I am going to keep that in mind next time I get sick ... and all the posts about the booze, I have a lot of "remedies" to test!

THEY WORK.

I PROMISE.

I"M NOT AN ALCOHOLIC.

:D
  • When I get a sore throat/dry cough I drink lots and lots of tea. Nothing special, just plain ole black tea with sugar. 
    Anniversary
  • Lots of sleep.  Lots of water and OJ.  Hot showers always make me feel better.
    As far as meds, I do a regimen of DayQuil and NyQuil. 

Hope you feel better!
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cold-remedy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d6de59b2-4fcc-4b70-a026-943ab48eb9c1Post:85560d1d-2b82-4613-ba7f-7e2ece22913c">Re: Your best cold remedy</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your best cold remedy : THEY WORK. I PROMISE. <strong>I"M NOT AN ALCOHOLIC.</strong> :D
    Posted by MyUserName1[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Don't they say denial is the first sign of addiction?  I'm KIDDING.  Next time I'm sick (which will most likely be soon, one of the boss' has a sore, sore throat) I will try it and let you know!</div>
  • Vicodin.

Actually I recommend Vicodin for just about anything that ails you. If you have to be miserable, you might as well enjoy it a little bit.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cold-remedy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d6de59b2-4fcc-4b70-a026-943ab48eb9c1Post:a05552e6-de95-4b20-838a-e4ffe66b2a0e">Re: Your best cold remedy</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your best cold remedy : Don't they say denial is the first sign of addiction?  I'm KIDDING.  Next time I'm sick (which will most likely be soon, one of the boss' has a sore, sore throat) I will try it and let you know!

You'll thank me.

And the next time someone starts a cold remedy thread, you'll be the one swearing that you can quit any time ;)
  • For a sore throat, I know it's gross, but I gargle cayenne pepper in the hottest water I can tolerate. Repeat like every hour. By the third time, my throat always feels a million times better.

For a stuffy nose, I use Vicks nasal spray-the 12 hour formula. It seriously lasts the full 12 hours as promised. I know most people frown on the sprays, but dammit, when I need to breathe, I really don't care how I make it happen.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards