Registry and Gift Forum

Cash Registry?

A couple we know recently set up a cash deposit for their wedding registry. (They live overseas and did it through a bank over there.) But the guests seemed happy with  the arrangement, and I thought it was a great idea. Do any card companies (Amex? Visa?) or banks do that in the US? I've seen where people register for parts of their honeymoon, new home, but the honeymoon's paid for and we're not buying a home anytime soon, so really cash would be the best thing in the world. Thanks for the advice!

Re: Cash Registry?

• Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Of course you need cash, everyone needs cash. A registry asking for cash is unnecessary. And then YOU (and your new husband) should take it to the bank. It's the least you can do when someone gives you money.
  • please don't do a cash registry. they are rude.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No- it's tacky and RUDE!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Go to any bank and give your guests your account and routing number.  Post it on your wedding website and have it printed on your invitations.

Sarcasm aside, guests know that cash is appreciated and if they choose to give that to you they can write a check as people have done for decades.  There's no need to set up a "cash registry" and make it complicated. 
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Your guests will know that you will like getting cash. I'd just set up a small gift registry, and get the word out that you're fine with cash. 

A registry for cash seems strange, and I'd honestly feel like it could be a scam if I were your guest.
  • Asking for cash is rude. People already know that cash is a great gift and they don't need you to tell them or have you set up some phony registry many people find offensive.

Small traditional registry for people who want to give physical gifts, others will get the hint that cash is appreciated. They will put cash or check in a card in give it to you.  
    It's really easy, which is why people have been doing it this way for years without needing some gimmicky tacky cash registry.
  • The previous posters are correct-registering for "cash" or "gift cards" is not at all correct etiquette-wise.  Your guests are smart--if they want to give cash, they will.
  • If people are inclined to give you cash, they will do so of their own accord.  If they are not inclined to give you cash, no amount of pressure in the form of a "cash registry" is going to compel them to do so.

• I would strongly suggest NOT putting your bank account # and routing # on your website or invitations!  That information is accessible by anyone, not a good idea!  Many cash registry websites allow you to name general categories or items for guests to put the cash towards, however in the end, it's all lumped together for you to use however you want.  I don't think it's rude, it just depends on how you ask.  This type of registry is a more modern concept and like me, I don't want more stuff and I want the gifts to still be beneficial and meaningful to us as a couple.  Because not everyone is used to it, it's best list general categories on the registry so guests still feel they're choosing what it goes towards.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_cash-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:be3df7b1-be56-48bf-ada0-9926b4aee18ePost:99afba18-3136-43f1-814d-6e7074231693">Re: Cash Registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I would strongly suggest NOT putting your bank account # and routing # on your website or invitations!  That information is accessible by anyone, not a good idea!</strong>  Many cash registry websites allow you to name general categories or items for guests to put the cash towards, however in the end, it's all lumped together for you to use however you want.  I don't think it's rude, it just depends on how you ask.  This type of registry is a more modern concept and like me, I don't want more stuff and I want the gifts to still be beneficial and meaningful to us as a couple.  <strong>Because not everyone is used to it, it's best list general categories on the registry so guests still feel they're choosing what it goes towards.
    </strong>Posted by raeganh[/QUOTE]

1) Someone clearly missed the sarcasm font.

2) Please don't encourage LYING to your guests by making them "feel they're choosing what their money go towards". Your guests are not stupid - EVERYONE knows that money is always an acceptable gift... and if they want to give money, they will do so in an envelope at your wedding. If you don't want "stuff", then simply don't register - but understand that most people who prefer to give physical gifts will do so whether there is a registry set up or not.

Many people, myself included, don't like people to know how much was spent on a particular gift - giving money is not an option in my book. So if you don't register, you will either get a physical gift that I think you might like or nothing at all. A "cash registry" (or HM registry) won't change that.
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_cash-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:be3df7b1-be56-48bf-ada0-9926b4aee18ePost:99afba18-3136-43f1-814d-6e7074231693">Re: Cash Registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Many cash registry websites allow you to name general categories or items for guests to put the cash towards, however in the end, it's all lumped together for you to use however you want.  I don't think it's rude, it just depends on how you ask.  This type of registry is a more modern concept and like me, I don't want more stuff and I want the gifts to still be beneficial and meaningful to us as a couple.  Because not everyone is used to it, it's best list general categories on the registry so guests still feel they're choosing what it goes towards.
    Posted by raeganh[/QUOTE]

Oh sweet Moses.

No, cash registires are not "modern."
  • If you do a small registry and have the WP spread the word you are hoping for cash... please have someone tell Great Aunt Rita so she doesn't take it upon herself to get something "special", such as an entire china pattern with little fluffy kittens with Santa hats on it. Trust me... it exists! =]

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    "He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch with me, though...keep up with news...check if I'm happy..."

Harry on Sirus to the Dursleys. HP Prisoner of Azkaban
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_cash-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:be3df7b1-be56-48bf-ada0-9926b4aee18ePost:9541e109-823e-4233-88af-11c8c3a1e34b">Re: Cash Registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you do a small registry and have the WP <strong>spread the word you are hoping for cash</strong>... please have someone tell Great Aunt Rita so she doesn't take it upon herself to get something "special", such as an entire china pattern with little fluffy kittens with Santa hats on it. Trust me... it exists! =]
    Posted by Britoz[/QUOTE]

Don't tell people you are "hoping for cash"... instead, have WP or family fill people in (WHEN THEY ASK) that you are registered at W, but you are saving up for XYZ.

People should get the hint that you want cash from the small registry and "saving for" comment... but be forewarned that there are some people who will still buy you a physical gift.

• Fifty Dollar Bills, 100 wanted, 2 received
    Twenty Dollar Bills, 200 wanted, 5 received

LIKE.
  • edited December 2011
    *freebread - Love it!

Just to put in my two cents: I am living overseas (FI is Swiss) and it's very common here for couples to ask for money. I have seen only a few wedding  websites here, but EACH one had some way for you to give the couple money. I hate this and I think it's tacky, but I suppose it's not considered to be rude in Europe. That being said, having a "tiered" reception is absolutely common here as well - meaning that the couple will have their wedding at 2pm at a church, then have a small "apero" (drinks and small bites) directly afterwards. A formal sit down dinner will follow in the evening. It seems to be perfectly acceptable to invite say 100 guests to the wedding and apero, then only 40 or 60 or whatever to the dinner! I also think this is terrible and forces you to "rank" your friends and family and it will be obvious to everyone whether certain guests "made the cut" or not.

On the other side - a bridal shower is unheard of and I could imagine people here thinking it to be terribly rude to be invited to a party, the point of which is to give gifts to the bride.

Anyway, I only wanted to say that just because something is acceptable in other countries does not make it acceptable in the US or in your hometown and, as PPs have all said, there is no need to ask for money.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards