Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

How to fire a photog

I went to school since I was 6 with this girl and have never been close friends but have always been friendly since we share a friend in common. When I posted that I was getting married on fb she contacted me saying " Im not a pro but I am sorta getting started... Give me.a budget and ill do.it.for you cheaper than.cheap if.you.let me use it for.my samples. And we.can.do.pre wedding (engagements) included" so I met up with her and she asked me a bunch of questions about the wedding and then asked me what my budget was. I made the mistake of saying "the most I was planning was $1000 including prints and thats why I've had a hard time finding someone." She responded with "I can do it for $1000 and I'll take 300 pic edit 200 of them and give them to you on a disc and I'll make you a coffee table book and do your engagements all for that price." She has never shot a wedding on her own she has worked under someone else but has no proof of her work and nothing to show me and has been asking me non stop questions about every single detail trying to help me. So here's the major problem...
Our close friends just bought a new camera and said if we paid for half of the new better lense ($125) they would do our pics for us. How do I drop the girl I've known when she has been trying to help me, being on a budget $125 is much better than $1000 with no prints?

Re: How to fire a photog

• Hmm...a better lens for $250.00, that is not a lens capable of shooting a wedding. I would forget them both and look elsewhere.
  • Both sound like they have massive potential for disaster. I would find someone that is not a friend to photograph your wedding for sure. Perhaps look at photo students and newbies on Craigslist. You definitely want someone that actually has ant least some experience photographing a wedding on their own... even if they are just starting out. 
  • My FI is an amateur photographer, and yeah, there's not such thing as a "better" lens that's $250 (certainly nothing that would be "professional" quality).  Your photos are, frankly, one of the more important parts of your wedding day - cut back in other areas to afford a true professional if at all possible.  As for how to "fire", keep it simple.  "Hey Friend, I appreciate your willingness to help us out, but we've decided to go in a different direction for the wedding photography."  As long as you haven't signed any contracts with anyone, it shouldn't be a problem.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • I have been searching for a photographer and I came across this blog... You should read this story before you make your decision ...http://www.linandjirsa.com/hiring-uncle-joe/

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_how-to-fire-a-photog?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:30Discussion:db6d4828-02a8-4394-af85-bb821497262cPost:675e77c8-8306-4a09-8450-a5677ceff7b6">Re: How to fire a photog</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI is an amateur photographer, and yeah, there's not such thing as a "better" lens that's $250 (certainly nothing that would be "professional" quality). <strong> Your photos are, frankly, one of the more important parts of your wedding day - cut back in other areas to afford a true professional if at all possible</strong>.  As for how to "fire", keep it simple.  "Hey Friend, I appreciate your willingness to help us out, but we've decided to go in a different direction for the wedding photography."  As long as you haven't signed any contracts with anyone, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this!  I found this out the hard way.
    Anniversary
  • edited April 2012
    Send them both invites to the wedding and say you decided you would rather your friends be guests. 

Run far away from using them as photographers as PPs have said no pro lenses are going to be going for that price and your wedding photos are the most important memory you will have from that day. 

She has no portfolio or photos to show you at all and you're going to pay her $1,000!?  Run! Run! Run NOW before you sign anything.  IF someone is going to charge you a $1,000 they sure as heck better at least of something to show for their skills. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_how-to-fire-a-photog?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:db6d4828-02a8-4394-af85-bb821497262cPost:0e87ffab-e3e9-488e-b28c-a1067cd410a2">Re: How to fire a photog</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am a firm believer in only hiring people who I wouldn't hesitate to sue if the circumstances warrant it.  Don't get me wrong; I'm by no means a litigious person.  But hiring friends and family members for jobs where quality of work is essential, particularly when the friend or relative is admittedly an amateur, is just asking for trouble. What if your photos turned out to be horrible, or she never delivered them to you, or she flaked out and didn't show up?  Would you feel badly about having to sue her because she's a friend? When it comes to business and people close to you, as the song says, "you gotta keep 'em separated".
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

<div>Most photographers/videographers won't allow you to sue them for more than the cost of your package though, as per your contract :/</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_how-to-fire-a-photog?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:db6d4828-02a8-4394-af85-bb821497262cPost:a064967c-674f-4d62-baa2-a6b93e1bb966">Re: How to fire a photog</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How to fire a photog : The photographer or videographer doesn't get to "allow" someone to sue them.  Clients are entitled to sue if they wish.
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes you "can" sue them, but if you signed a contract saying that the videographer will not under any circumstances refund anything more than what you paid for the package, then you're not going to get anything more than that.</div>
  • OritmOritm member
    First Comment
    Get a professional photographer! Even if you have to stretch a little bit for it. I planned my wedding in 2 weeks because I had it overseas and I got a last minute "deal" and I regret it to this day. I don't have one good photo from my wedding. I am in the wedding photography business and I know wedding photography cannot be done by amateurs. Do yourself a favor and get a real photographer.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_how-to-fire-a-photog?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:db6d4828-02a8-4394-af85-bb821497262cPost:0e87ffab-e3e9-488e-b28c-a1067cd410a2">Re: How to fire a photog</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am a firm believer in only hiring people who I wouldn't hesitate to sue if the circumstances warrant it.  Don't get me wrong; I'm by no means a litigious person.  But hiring friends and family members for jobs where quality of work is essential, particularly when the friend or relative is admittedly an amateur, is just asking for trouble. What if your photos turned out to be horrible, or she never delivered them to you, or she flaked out and didn't show up?  Would you feel badly about having to sue her because she's a friend? When it comes to business and people close to you, as the song says, "you gotta keep 'em separated".
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

<div>Ha!  Most professonals have iron-clad contracts that absolutely limit their liability to the total price of the service... i.e., a refund. </div>
  • For the OP: dump the girl, she's a leech.  Forget your friend, they're amateurs.  Pay a professional who will do a good job and be comfortable knowing that your memories are in good hands.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards