Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

James Avery Jewelry

Does anyone own any JA stuff?

I've never been a huge fan, because everything I've ever had from there tarnishes way too quickly. 

But, DH and I bought me an "extra" sterling silver wedding band for about $50 to wear for occasions when I don't want to wear my real rings, i.e. trips where they could get lost/stolen, or places where I am alone and don't feel comfortable sporting bling in fear of possibly being mugged, etc. (Perfect for walking around campus at night!)

We bought it about 3 months ago and I have only worn it once, and it sat in my jewelry box after that and I pulled it out because I'm going to wear it to Europe and it's already starting to tarnish. I keep it wrapped up in the cloth that it came in, AND it's in an airtight ziplock bag. 

Any suggestions on how to keep it from tarnishing so quickly?! There's got to be a secret, or JA wouldn't be so popular. 

And what I don't get, is that I've had a Tiffany's sterling silver bracelet for ten years, and it's never once tarnished. I'm wondering if there really is a reason Tiffany's is more expensive, and it's not just the name. 

Anyway, TIA ladies! 

Re: James Avery Jewelry

• bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm, I wear TONS of JA and mine never tarnishes...

Sorry, I'm no help, but that's odd that mine doesn't!
  • edited December 2011
    WTF.....

ETA: Thanks for trying to help, sorta ;) 

Makes me wonder if it has to do with the fact that I'm not wearing it very often?
  • BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard that the more often you wear silver jewelry, the less it tarnishes, but I don't know how true that is. Does it come off when you clean it?
  • edited December 2011
    I have a silver ring from there that I got last Christmas.  I wear it pretty much everyday and haven't had that problem.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_james-avery-jewelry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:470f10fd-ffac-45b6-adf1-a2f4988a5390Post:f6944e80-69d4-48d5-a476-b01b15365816">Re: James Avery Jewelry</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've heard that the more often you wear silver jewelry, the less it tarnishes, but I don't know how true that is. Does it come off when you clean it?
    Posted by BanannaP[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha, that's exactly what I was just thinking, maybe it's because I'm not wearing it. </div><div>
    </div><div>It did come off when I cleaned it with the special little cloth they gave me. And I wear that Tiffany's bracelet every single day, and have for the majority of the last 10 years. So, that kind of makes sense...</div><div>
    </div><div>That's odd, though.</div><div>
    </div><div>Maybe I should start wearing it on my right hand a few days a week just to avoid it tarnishing. </div>
  • MLandCJMLandCJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have several things that are James Avery and they have never tarnished.

I rotate it all the time though.

I'm probably not really any help though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Everything JA that I own has tarnished.  But, I don't wear it everyday - so maybe that's the issue. 
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't worn JA stuff in a while, but when I did (rings and necklaces) they didn't tarnish.  I should check them out since they have been sitting in the box since high school
  • edited December 2011
    I've been wearing a ring every single day for the last 3 months and I don't have a tarnish problem.
  • edited December 2011
    Well it looks like the issue is that I don't wear it. I think I'll do an experiment and start wearing it on my right hand every day and see if that helps. Thanks for the input, girls!
  • bethlovesjimbethlovesjim member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a ton of JA silver stuff, and I rotate them out. They do tarnish, but I have a cloth made for cleaning silver jewelry (it sounds like the same cloth you have)  I just shine it up real quick before wearing.

Not that this helps, BUT... I've heard the higher percentage of pure silver in the piece, the less it tarnishes (I have no idea if this is true or not).  I think Sterling is .925.  I think JA and Tiffany's uses .925 for everything.

I don't own any Tiffany's Jewelry, so I cant compare. Sorry.

P.S.  Since the engagement, we have recieved a few silver gifts... I figured out the cloth works on EVERYTHING!  :) LOVE IT!
    first camping trip engagement
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tdqtdq
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Add me to the I've had mine for years and worn it regularly. No tarnish.
    June 2012 April Siggy Challenge

Photobucket
    When we first started dating. Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, I think it's just from not wearing it. I have had a JA ring literally for 10 years and I wore it when I first got it for about four years, then went a few years not wearing it. It was slightly discolored when I started wearing it again.. I just cleaned it and now I've been wearing it for about 4 years with no problems...
    Disclaimer: Please excuse the above comment. I'm probably freaking out because there is less than one month to go. Thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Huge Planning Blog :) * Updated 06/11

July 2011 Bride
  • edited December 2011
    What do y'all mean by rotating them out?
  • juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Aggie necklace tarnished last year after I was in FL last summer and sweated non-stop for a week.

I do take my stuff into them about once a year for a cleaning by them but you can buy one of their rags and have them show you how to use it. 
  • michelle227michelle227 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's a simple solution that you can try...scrubbing it with toothpaste!  I know it sounds crazy, but I've done with with my James Avery charms and it works!
  • btweety04btweety04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to work at JA! The polishing cloth you buy from there works great and you can take any piece into the store and they will ultrasonic clean and buff it for free.

SIlver will naturally oxidize and appear tarnished and it will happen faster if it is just sitting around not in use. I have a huge JA collection and with that much silver, you just have to expect that it will tarnish and have to be cleaned periodically.

HTH
  • edited December 2011
    Sounds like the answers are here, but I agree with everyone! :)  I love my JA ring and I wear it all the time. I just polished it a couple weeks ago with their cloth and it shined it right back up to almost new.  HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards