Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Play/Do not play list

I have to have this list done for the DJ by the end of next week and I don't even know where to begin? haha. Any tips/advice would be great. Where did you start? Was there a website that helped?

TIA ladies!
Siggy Challenge - Favorite Pic of FI - Tan and Fuzzy, Just the way I like him ;-) imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Play/Do not play list

• edited December 2011
    Do you trust/like your DJ?  If so, keep it short to literally the MUST play and DO NOT play songs.  Let them do their job on the rest.

My must play list:
    Percolator, Lets Get Married Remix, Cupid Shuffle, I Wanna Dance WIth Somebody (Whitney... for my mom), I Do, Oochie Wally

My do not play list:
    Cheesy stuff like Cotton Eye Joe, Chicken Dance, It's Raining Men, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    We had friendsand family request things.  We just told the DJ for the do-not-play to stay away from anything that involved a choreographed group dance - Macarena, Cha-Cha Slide, Cupid Shuffle, Chicken Dance, Eletrics Slide, etc.  If everyone will be doing the same dance moves, stay away.
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Hil about not going too crazy with thie list as long as you trust him/her. Off the top of my head...

Our MUST play: Love Shack (for my Dad), Bless the Broken Road (our anniversary dance), It's Raining Men (for my HS girls), Friends in Low Places...

DO NOT play: Electric slide(s), chicken dance, Macarena etc.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_playdo-not-play-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:8ebd79d6-1d3d-409a-bc2d-0fcd6d217427Post:a63e1d1f-0546-4d1a-b337-2e1d25f215df">Re: Play/Do not play list</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had friendsand family request things.  <strong>We just told the DJ for the do-not-play to stay away from anything that involved a choreographed group dance - Macarena, Cha-Cha Slide, Cupid Shuffle, Chicken Dance, Eletrics Slide, etc.  If everyone will be doing the same dance moves, stay away.
    </strong>Posted by LaRositaMonita[/QUOTE]

We kinda did the same.. but my DJ actually asked me on the dance floor if Cupid Shuffle was okay because several people were requesting it. We said yes because it is a personal fave of two of our best friends. And it was fun!
  • Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_playdo-not-play-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:8ebd79d6-1d3d-409a-bc2d-0fcd6d217427Post:28696f36-973e-4a24-b961-6ec7cef26a76">Re: Play/Do not play list</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Do you trust/like your DJ?  If so, keep it short to literally the MUST play and DO NOT play songs.  Let them do their job on the rest.</strong> Posted by miguelhilary2010[/QUOTE]

this exactly. We had a band and totally trusted their judgement after seeing them and meeting with the band leader.

Must Plays: Brown Eyed Girl (my fav- which they announced and dedicated to me haha) and some Frank Sinatra which is my dad's favorite

Do Not Play: "i kissed a girl' or anything offensive to the grandma's....and I think the electric slide, Baby Got Back, and all the typical annoying songs
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto LRM's do not play list

I also have some DO NOT play artists - that way nothing can be played if it's their song. I think I only have 3 or 4 of those

Must play - a lot will be slow romantic country songs, and some must have oldies - I love Etta James and Nat King Cole - I'm keeping my list to prefered artists - that way I still get a few of my fav songs, but it leaves things open

although :"Jesse's Girl" will be a must play - b/c my FBIL loves to sing it at the top of his drunken lungs and it's hilarious
    *~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would highly recommend ending the night with Don't Stop Believing.  ;) Right B2B?

I will also add that our musical taste is not typically the stuff played at weddings.  Our DJ was awesome about this and sneaked all of our favorite stuff in during dinner - Ben Folds, Phish, Death Cab, Ted Leo.  It was different than the typical Frank Sinatra fare you usually get at dinner, and our friends noticed and loved it. This was also compeltely our DJ's idea when we told her we were hesitant to give her a must-play list because dance party music is not usually on our must-play lists at home.
  • edited December 2011
    Our do not play is the choreographed songs, no songs with exes (specifically Lady in Red, Hello by Lionel Richie, and In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel), and no Margaritaville.  Gzila has this cute "bit" with his college friends to that song that they do at every wedding, but Gzilla wants to retire the bit, so we put it on the DNP list.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_playdo-not-play-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:8ebd79d6-1d3d-409a-bc2d-0fcd6d217427Post:ef782ac3-1bbd-4781-8175-9fb5cc4ca2d3">Re: Play/Do not play list</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Play/Do not play list : this exactly. We had a band and totally trusted their judgement after seeing them and meeting with the band leader. Must Plays: Brown Eyed Girl (my fav- which they announced and dedicated to me haha) and some Frank Sinatra which is my dad's favorite <strong>Do Not Play: "i kissed a girl' or anything offensive to the grandma's</strong>....and I think the electric slide, Baby Got Back, and all the typical annoying songs
    Posted by Jesster153[/QUOTE]

We had a similar convo with our DJ and mentioned potentially offensive rap songs... I was at a wedding where "What's your fantasy" was played and it was AWKWARD with the older folk in the room.
  • edited December 2011
    On the other hand of the offensive list, though.. Gzilla's godmother LOVES one song that ridiculously inappropriate.  I wanna say "Just a Friend."  And her son thinks it's hilarious to request that song at weddings and dedicate it to her... and it's pretty funny.

Oh, another one that's on my DNP list is "Sara" by Starship.  My friend Sara hates that song... and my jerk friends like to sing it to her, so we're putting the ixnay on that.  My DNP is mostly "cheesy wedding stuff" and personal stuff that I don't want to bother me or people i like.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • edited December 2011
    Misplaced confession: I confess that when I am old, I would appreciate it if people automatically didn't assume that I no longer had a sense of humor or understood anything about sex.  I also hope that when I am older I will have an apprecation for whatever popular rap songs are current and that no one will take them off a playlist at a wedding out of pity for me. Is it weird that I find it annoying when people assume that old peple are always out of touch with pop culture/reality?
  • ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Idk... grandma doens't need to see me and DH dancing to "I wanna have sex on the beach"...
  • edited December 2011
    LRM--I'm with you on this one.  Most of my older relatives (now, I have no grandparents... so all of my older relatives are my parents siblings) somewhat enjoy these songs... and they're dancing right along with everybody.  Especially towards the end of the night when the bar is almost empty :)

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • edited December 2011
    I used hilarys DJ and pretty much just gave him a small guideline to go by. I love Cupid Shuffle, so that was my one must play 'line dance'

LRM, yes totally loves me some Don't Stop Believing for last dance of the night. :)
  • edited December 2011
    so Buttons...it's more that you want to keep up the ruse for your grandparents that their grandkids know about sex and rap music?  Again, it's someone's wedding night...I get the gesture, just saying that I didn't change my wedding playlist to accomodate the older folk.  But I agree with RA in that none of my grandparents were at my wedding (two are deceased, the other two were both unable to make and it's a complicated situation with them, they were hardly invited to begin with).  Two of Colin's grandparents were, though, and they had a blast.
  • Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    madam- awkward.

LRM- I would like to confess the same thing considering all the work Ive done in the music biz so far.
    I will say there was no assuming with the grandma's at our wedding--my grammy only had 3 channels on her tv until we moved her out of her house and into assisted living 2 years ago and she still refuses to watch anything other than 3, 6 and 10  ;)

(i cant get this out of italics....)
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    My grandparents all died very young.  I only ever knew my maternal grandmother, and she's been gone almost 12 years.  Gzilla has one grandparent left (maternal grandmother) and she's not all there anymore, so she wouldn't know if we were playing the hokey pokey for 5 hours.  She doesn't even remember going to her grandson's wedding a few months ago.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • edited December 2011
    LRM - I agree it shouldn't be ASSUMED. However, it WAS awkward at the "What's your fantasy" wedding. And it would havee been awkward at mine. And I am not just talking grandparents (because I don't have any living), but also parents and aunts/uncles...
  • edited December 2011
    I wil amend my comment to say that there is certain music that probably doesn't belong at weddings, period, reagrdless of the people there.  I just want to let the record state that as a granny I will be cool with Baby Got Back or whatever worthy successor it finds, and I hope that there are other cool grannies out there too.
    edited December 2011
    LRM - It didn't change my must play list, because i'm not a rap fan to begin with, so our DJ knew that going in, and baby got back was for sure played. But if a song like that WAS to play... it would have been a little uncomfortable, that's all I'm sayin.
  • edited December 2011
    I get it - I'm not saying that it wouldn't be awkward for some...I just feel like the stereotype is "We've gotta play a little Sinatra for Grandma!  And stay away from the Lady Gaga." Every grandma is different! ;)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_playdo-not-play-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:8ebd79d6-1d3d-409a-bc2d-0fcd6d217427Post:d1b0296c-f3d3-4f72-9e3d-3dd14d88bae6">Re: Play/Do not play list</a>:
    [QUOTE]I get it - I'm not saying that it wouldn't be awkward for some...I just feel like the stereotype is "We've gotta play a little Sinatra for Grandma!  And stay away from the Lady Gaga." <strong>Every grandma is different! ;)

I'll toast to that! =)

Also - The Sinatra was played for us, not the grannies! :)
    edited December 2011
    LRM - I'll agree with you on that.
  • a.lemma4a.lemma4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haha, thanks ladies!! Laughing
    Siggy Challenge - Favorite Pic of FI - Tan and Fuzzy, Just the way I like him ;-) imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_playdo-not-play-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:8ebd79d6-1d3d-409a-bc2d-0fcd6d217427Post:d1b0296c-f3d3-4f72-9e3d-3dd14d88bae6">Re: Play/Do not play list</a>:
    [QUOTE]I get it - I'm not saying that it wouldn't be awkward for some...I just feel like the stereotype is "We've gotta play a little Sinatra for Grandma!  <strong>And stay away from the Lady Gaga." Every grandma is different! ;)

Especially when one of the grandma's in question is Lady Gaga's Grandma -- then she'll be in the middle of the floor all night when her granddaughter's songs come on! Including Bad Romance, which when it was requested, he said "We don't play that at weddings." Then he remembered that we wanted all the Gaga we could get, and played it.
    And they're the five best friends that anyone could have, the five best friends that anyone could have! Photobucket
  • angel33284angel33284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pick any songs that are really important to you and any songs that you absolutely cannot stand. Let the DJ do the rest. He knows weddings better than you.
  • edited December 2011
    My reception started at 8, so by the time we were really getting into dancing, the older folks left.  We played Oochie Wally (edited), Pass that Dutch and a bunch of borderline songs that we loved from college.  Whatever works for your audience.

We also told the DJ that we didn't want elevator music during dinner, so he played Michael Buble (I know, not much better but I like him!), Ne-Yo, Boyz II Men, Lionel Richie, etc.  Quiet but still enjoyable music.
  • Play getawayPlay getaway member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    here is my do not play list  ( i know kind of long but most of it is along the lines of what everyone else said about the group dancing.  The rest is  from experience of them played at other weddings we've been at and also specific songs we don't like to give him an idea of our type of music more)

do not play
    No hardcore rap
    “Macarena”
    “YMCA”
    “Boom, boom, boom”
    “We are family”
    “Shout”
    "Celebration" by Kool & the Gang
    Conga line
    Chicken dance
    Limbo
    “RESPECT”
    “It's Raining Men”
    “I will survive”
    “Hot, hot, hot”
    “The train”
    “Fire burning (on the dance floor)”

“What is love?”  (i just find this annoying)

Any songs by the artist Pink (i like her but just think most of her songs are not really dance type and think "raise your glass" is overplayed)

Flo Rida- “Get low” 

New York, New York” (i just picture this at typical weddings at the end of the night with the 5 drunks doing the can can)

these are songs we don't like/ dont picture for our wedding.   i have a long list but i'd say just go through songs/types of music that you dont picture for your day, mention the ones that are meaningful to you both for your "must plays"  and let the dj do the rest.

no matter what the dj plays (as long as it's not from your do not play list), it will be great b/c it's your wedding day and will probably not remember the songs, but the feeling.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards