May 2012 Weddings

BM dresses- any help would be appreciated!

Ladies, I am in need of your assistance. I was trying to be very accommodating for all of my bms and originally told them I would give them a color and length and they could pick out a dress. Well, nobody liked the idea of mix match dresses excepte. Then I picked out a color, fabric and length from David's bridal and told them to pick what they liked for their body types. Again, only one bm liked this. (my sister) So now I have no time left and need to get this resolved. It is an outdoor ceremony so anything light and comfy is great. I am also trying to keep the costs down to around $100. Any suggestions?? If you are having a similar style wedding, what did you go with? Thanks!!

Re: BM dresses- any help would be appreciated!

• Is it the mix and match they dont like? If so, then I would take a couple of them shopping (or just one really) and pick the dress you like.

If they dont want to mix and match then they cant really complain about whatever you pick IMO. You gave them the option, and they turned it down. (or maybe this isnt a problem, realized I may have read your post wrong?)

As for material, I agree, something light and comfy. I think chiffon would work. Davids Bridal looks like it has a lot of options.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_bm-dresses-any-help-would-be-appreciated?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:1e55a857-dd75-4f11-a36b-4e17a1960722Post:e24fc477-7f00-4b7d-b326-42f9dd7a9e52">Re: BM dresses- any help would be appreciated!</a>:
    [QUOTE] I would take a couple of them shopping (or just one really) and pick the dress you like. If they dont want to mix and match then they cant really complain about whatever you pick IMO. You gave them the option, and they turned it down.
    Posted by SunshineShades[/QUOTE]

<div>THIS! </div><div>
    </div><div>You gave them the option to pick their own dress and they turned you down. So I would pick a dress you think will look nice on everyone (A-line is usually a safe bet) and tell them that's it. </div>
    May '12 Nesties
    March Siggy Challenge: Furbaby
    MARRIED!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • S0095042S0095042 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012

it sounds like someone just needs to make a final decision...I would get as many of the bms together (this weekend or so) and choose 1 dress (if they are all insisting in being in the same dress) --- and then have them place their orders before they leave the store. For the girls that can't attend, I would let them know what dress you and the other bms chose and give them a deadline to order the dress by.  :)

Our wedding is also outside and we chose a taffeta in a neutral color. I think any fabric besides a heavy satin would be fine, as long as the color fits the outside venue.

Anniversary
  • I have taken them shopping twice. That's sort of the problem. Nobody agrees. I honestly don't care what they wear so it's hard for me. I think I might just have to pick something. Does anyone have any ideas of brands or places to shop other than David's bridal? Thanks for the help!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_bm-dresses-any-help-would-be-appreciated?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:1e55a857-dd75-4f11-a36b-4e17a1960722Post:5d9ba74b-e665-4d66-a6c2-99d5c96e6a71">Re: BM dresses- any help would be appreciated!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have taken them shopping twice. That's sort of the problem. Nobody agrees. I honestly don't care what they wear so it's hard for me. I think I might just have to pick something. Does anyone have any ideas of brands or places to shop other than David's bridal? Thanks for the help!
    Posted by maxjury14[/QUOTE]

<div>Wait- So they don't agree on any one dress AND they all want to wear the same thing?</div>
  • Everyone likes different things. One hates all the chiffon dresses. Nobody liked David's bridal. Nobody is willing to pay very much for a dress, which I don't want them to do, but it knocks a lot of the dresses out of the running. I hope I'm not making them ce across bitchy. They have all been sweet and lovely friends, we just can't come to a unified decision. It's hard some times to have your tone come through online. Anyway, I am starting to understand I just need to make a final call here. So basically, what I am asking for help with is places/brands to look into for an affordable option or even pics/links of what your going with. Thanks!
  • Macys or JCPenney, have reasonably priced dresses. David's Bridal does have some expensive dresses however they do have dresses that are less, and if you purchased your dress there each of your BMs will get a $20 discount on a fully priced dress. 

It's interesting to hear about BMs not liking the idea of having each BMs have a different style dress in the same color, and length. Usually it's hard to find one dress that fits multiple BMs.

And yes, you do have final say, however make sure that whatever you choose is within your BMs budget.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I didn't think they were bitchy- Just very difficult to work with. Although I totally agree with them about David's Bridal- We couldn't find anything we liked there, either.

Check www.modcloth.com, www.shopruche.com, www.target.com (they've recently added a line of BMish dresses, but they're online only), www.shabbyapple.com, and www.nordstroms.com (not everything is super expensive). 

I only have a MOH & one BM- I just told them to get gray, knee length, non-shiny dresses. One of them found her dress at BCBG on an incredible sale, and the other one found hers at a little boutique-y kind of shop.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_bm-dresses-any-help-would-be-appreciated?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:1e55a857-dd75-4f11-a36b-4e17a1960722Post:e24fc477-7f00-4b7d-b326-42f9dd7a9e52">Re: BM dresses- any help would be appreciated!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it the mix and match they dont like? If so, then I would take a couple of them shopping (or just one really) and pick the dress you like. <strong>If they dont want to mix and match then they cant really complain about whatever you pick IMO. You gave them the option, and they turned it down. </strong>(or maybe this isnt a problem, realized I may have read your post wrong?) As for material, I agree, something light and comfy. I think chiffon would work. Davids Bridal looks like it has a lot of options.
    Posted by SunshineShades[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Definitely agree with this.  We stopped in at David's too on a whim because we had time to kill in between appointments, and there wasn't anything they liked either.  I agree with other posters in bringing your search online.  I like using shopstyle.com to search a bunch of different websites for dresses of a certain size, color, length, etc.</div><div>
    </div><div>It sounds to me like you've done your best to give them an option, but that it's just not working out.  At this point I'd pick out a dress online and tell them it is what they need to order.  Maybe pick out 3 you like, and then ask one of them (MOH?) for her opinion, and then make a choice & stick to it.  I think it was great of you to try and give them an option, but sometimes people just need to be told what to do otherwise they'll never come to an agreement!

</div>
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Your BMs are similar to mine - they were more concerned about matching/coordinating than I was. I picked a group of dresses and narrowed it down with two of my BMs. And then I told the others that they could choose from those 3. They ended up going with two different dresses.

I agree with pp - It sounds like you're going to have to make an executive decision and tell them the plan.
    Anniversary
  • I would just pick something! It sounds like you have given them multiple options & no one is deciding or being very cooperative, so I'd pick something & just tell them to order it. Especially since we're coming down to the wire with time! I know there are LOTS at DB that sound like they would fit the "theme" of your wedding. My BMs ordered theirs from DB -- They are short, strapless dresses with pockets. They were $89 & they can definitely wear them again!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • All of the above! Put your foot down and since they didnt want to do what you wanted in the first place. You decide what YOU want them to wear!
    March Siggy: Our Furbabies Thunder and Tinkerbelle photo 576844_10151220437472389_274194501_n.jpg PhotobucketPhotobucket
    He put a ring on it!!! 12-12-10! Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    For Sale Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards