African American Weddings

Wedding Website...HELP!!!

Happy Friday Ladies,

OK I need everyone's help. Time for us to start working on our wedding website. I went into the archive posts and pulled up some of the old info but I'd also like to hear new ideas. What is the best site to use? What all should I put on there (our story, event details, hotel info, registry, guest book) anything to add or take off? Someone mentioned an FAQ in the older posts?

Another question, I have not done the online RSVP. What is that about? Does that mean people can go on now and tell me if they are coming or does this happen after I send out the invites? How do I prevent uninvited people from going on and putting down their RSVP. (you know family and friends spread the word to everybody-those invited and those not invited)

Please post your website for examples if you don't mind! Thanks!
imageAnniversary

Re: Wedding Website...HELP!!!

• edited December 2011
    Hey girl, I'm in the process of doing my website. I'm using weddingwire.com its pretty easy to use and FREE!! lol All the info that you've mentioned is good. We've also included info about each bridal party member, how we know them  etc..

As far as the RSVP thing, from my understanding, if you input your guestlist on weddingwire, then only those from your guest list can RSVP. (that's how ww works, not sure about other sites)

Once I'm done, I'll post mine
    HTH
    imageAnniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • MrsSmith2Be02MrsSmith2Be02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's an idea for a wedding website: www.jesseandadrienne.com or www.trinityandcoty.com These are both of my line sisters' wedding websites and I think they're really nice.  One is done through wedding window and the other had built by a web designer.

As for Online RSVPs - I had a friend who had her babyshower RSVP's done online and the way to keep people from random RSVPs were that you had to entire your name the way it appeared on your invitation in order to respond. Not sure of the option, but her RSVP was done through The Bump.com which is TK affiliate. HTH.
    image180 Made the cut!
    image 129 Ready to drop it like its HOT!
    image 7 Found something else to do
    image 44 Are just plain RUDE!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest November 2012 - October Siggy Challenge image
  • edited December 2011
    I believe many here like wedding wire.

I personally picked TK Website builder because I wanted to keep coming here for everything. Our guests will RSVP online and if someone trys to RSVP but aren't on my guest list they will get a message that their name could not be found. They can still put in their information and I'll receive a message. You could also have it password protected.

Here is my website if you would like ideas.  www.gideonandcarla.com

We aren't finished with it, but you can get the idea.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    I chose brides.com.  It gets quite technical at times, but after playing with it, it became very easy to use. In order to RSVP on our website, each guest is given an ID # that is significant to their name by the site. Guest will have to enter their ID # and name in order to RSVP. Of course I will put this ID # on their response card.  You can check out my site: moorewedding.brides.com.
    I didn't want to include too much on the site cause I know people won't look at everything. The only extra thing I did was included our bridal party and pictures of my girls.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Ok so your two posts bring up great follow up questions already...or ones I forgot to ask in the beginning.

Chocolate- WW sounds great. is your website just consist of weddingwire.com/firstnames. TK wants me to use first and last names for me and FI and that just makes the web address too long.

Also one one of the sites posted by Mrs. Smith (which are great sites by the way), one of them had a page for address book. Which is a great way to capture addresses! But again, will that cause problems if Mr. and Mrs. Jones go put in their address and they aren't even invited :( How could I control that?

imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011

Honestly, even if you have the best plan in place to keep uninvited guests from RSVP online, you will still have to deal with people calling you or your parents trying to invite themselves.

The woman that works in the deli in my office building heard I was getting married and wanted to come. So be prepared that no matter what, you will have to flat out tell people NO.

• edited December 2011
    Carla that is so true. Had a coworker come up to me the other day and say "You know I better get an invite....the more people the more gifts." Honey you don't even know my FI's name!

Not to pry,  but did you opt for the paid website since the website is just your first names.com? Because I didn't see that option with TK. I also couldn't open your site but that may be due to restrictions on my work PC.
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Ok we chose wedmedo.com.  BUT this was FI's project and he is such a techie.  It costs us $50 for a year and we included a welcome, bios, our story (his version & mine), wedding details, pictures of our journey, the engagement story, wedding party, registry, accommodations, directions, & RSVP.  The RSVP page is hidden right now. 

We were originally gonna go with wedding wire, but FI wanted more of a flash website so he found the site we used.  You are more than welcome to take a look. 
    www.eshaandantonio.com

Also, I really like the idea of having a song request list and an FAQ page.  Those are some really good ideas.  After the beginning of the year we just might add and FAQ page.  HTH
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011

I chose to use weddingwire.com.  They were easy and had all the tools I needed.  I am doing the online RSVP and the site allows you to "hide" the RSVP page until you are ready to put it up for the guest to use.  The tool also allows you to upload your guest list.  The guests type in their names and are able to RSVP.  If their name is not on the list then they will be unable to RSVP so no worries of unwanted people trying to "get in". LOL 

I also have a FAQ tab on my website.  I copied it almost word for word from another knottie and I am so glad that I did.  It lets my guest know what they can expect and what I expect from them. 

Here is my website check it out and feel free to use any information that you want.  I have gotten great feedback from my guests already on it.  You can also play around with the RSVP to see what message will go out to the guests who try to RSVP but their name is not on the list. 

www.weddingwire.com/catandfdj

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    We used wedding window. 

I purchased the domain and have my "free" site routed there. We are offering the online RSVP option and each guest will receive their code to enter in their invitation. We are also offering a voicemail RSVP option to those not so tech savvy guests. We have  Google Voice # for them to call and it automatically emails us/texts us and trascribes the messages. I don't want to be wasteful and purchase stamps/envelopes for people who either will RSVP no or not bother to send it back anyway.

I'm fully prepared to call those I haven't heard from though. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!
  • edited December 2011

Yup, I purchased the domian from Godaddy.com for $20 and had it redirected to TK website. Some websites can be very tech savvy but I think its best to stay as simple & elegant as possible for guests that have slower connections.

• MrsSmith2Be02MrsSmith2Be02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_wedding-websitehelp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:fe302fbf-a2ca-4f26-a067-8dcf7bf81ef9Post:84de7d8a-9d43-4d4e-9b05-ec602fb43892">Re: Wedding Website...HELP!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok so your two posts bring up great follow up questions already...or ones I forgot to ask in the beginning. Chocolate- WW sounds great. is your website just consist of weddingwire.com/firstnames. TK wants me to use first and last names for me and FI and that just makes the web address too long. Also one one of the sites posted by Mrs. Smith (which are great sites by the way), one of them had a page for address book. Which is a great way to capture addresses! <strong>But again, will that cause problems if Mr. and Mrs. Jones go put in their address and they aren't even invited :( How could I control that?
    </strong>Posted by MrsBoss2012[/QUOTE]

Hopefully it won't cause problems. That's the only issue with the World Wide Web....its public no matter which way you turn it. Weddings are costly and if your guest list is catered to close friends and family, then your HS BFF that you shared a locker with but haven't talked to in 15 years.....then OH WELL!
    image180 Made the cut!
    image 129 Ready to drop it like its HOT!
    image 7 Found something else to do
    image 44 Are just plain RUDE!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest November 2012 - October Siggy Challenge image
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, we made our website on the my mac computer. I will, however , be using WW to RSVP. I am gonna add a page for invited guest that will link to the RSVP site.  here's ours claytonandcourtney.com

@cat- I love the faq page. I may have to add that to ours.

" he's the perfect rhyme to a tight beat." Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    I just finished my site yesterday. Although I may update it and add more things but it's ready to launch as I sent out invites today. I used weddingwire as well.

www.weddingwire.com/jocandjessie
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! You all have some wonderful websites. I will put FI to work right away!
    imageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards