Wedding Party

My Helper?

Isn't there a title for the friend you choose to run all over for you on your wedding day?
The bridesmaids and matron are helping you get ready but there is someone that does the misc stuff.
Not the wedding planner because she is getting the setup taken care of.
Is there such thing? I heard someone call it a "hot mess" but I'm not sure if thats it?? Please help?

Re: My Helper?

• It's called a Personal Attendant or Bridal Attendant, but is usually frowned upon on these boards.
    Once upon a time, there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.
  • I think this is a largely made up title, something new to this era, not anything official.
  • I have never heard of this, but I don't think it is something you should ask a friend to do.  Your friends are guests at your wedding and shouldn't be asked to *work* at your wedding.  If you want someone to do this, I think that you should hire someone.  If you already have a hired wedding planner and you don't feel they would be able to handle it, maybe you need to hire another one.

I'm sorry if I'm off base with this, but I have honestly never heard of asking a friend to be a helper and having them run all over for you on your wedding day.

• Day of coordinator?  Someone you would need to hire.
    Anniversary
  • This can't be for serious. Please tell me it's not.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_my-helper?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:acea1e59-efed-4154-9501-dff5c5f6e235Post:5605a688-ed73-474a-9eca-772066f15226">Re: My Helper?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Day of coordinator?  Someone you would need to hire.
    Posted by MrsKathyC[/QUOTE]
    Yep
  • mbody...that's what I was thinking right after I posted!  Especially with a wedding two days away?
    Once upon a time, there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_my-helper?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:acea1e59-efed-4154-9501-dff5c5f6e235Post:523156f4-d560-467b-b5ad-872963d39bcc">My Helper?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Isn't there a title for the friend you choose to run all over for you on your wedding day? The bridesmaids and matron are helping you get ready but there is someone that does the misc stuff. Not the wedding planner because she is getting the setup taken care of. Is there such thing? I heard someone call it a "hot mess" but I'm not sure if thats it?? Please help?
    Posted by rdealing[/QUOTE]

No, b/c you shouldn't have a friend running around for you on your wedding day.

There is no way this can be real....

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_my-helper?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:acea1e59-efed-4154-9501-dff5c5f6e235Post:52599a53-7787-426a-b481-27928c9cf713">Re: My Helper?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's called a Personal Attendant or Bridal Attendant, but is usually frowned upon on these boards.
    Posted by Fluffernut[/QUOTE]

OP, this is the correct answer to your question, but

a) you don't actually need one; there's much less running around than you're thinking, and

b) unless a friend who you completely trust <em>volunteers, unasked,</em> to do this, please don't ask any of your guests to act as your servant.
  • It's called "Wedding Planner" and you pay her.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_my-helper?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:acea1e59-efed-4154-9501-dff5c5f6e235Post:523156f4-d560-467b-b5ad-872963d39bcc">My Helper?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Isn't there a title for the friend you choose to run all over for you on your wedding day? The bridesmaids and matron are helping you get ready but there is someone that does the misc stuff. Not the wedding planner because she is getting the setup taken care of. Is there such thing? <strong>I heard someone call it a "hot mess" but I'm not sure if thats it??</strong> Please help?
    No, that's the name of the bride who is expecting her friend to be running all over for her.
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• How complicated is your wedding that you're going to need people running around doing errands for you?

All I had to ask someone to do on the wedding day was to please put my tote bag into the limo for me. My brother's girlfriend was hanging out with us as I got ready with the bridesmaids and she kindly took two minutes to do that for me.

Seriously. What "misc. stuff" do you anticipate needing a helper for?
  • TiffannieFTiffannieF member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_my-helper?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:acea1e59-efed-4154-9501-dff5c5f6e235Post:523156f4-d560-467b-b5ad-872963d39bcc">My Helper?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Isn't there a title for the <u><strong>friend <em>you</em> choose to run all over for <em>you</em> on <em>your</em> wedding day</strong></u>? The bridesmaids and matron are helping you get ready but there is someone that does the misc stuff. Not the wedding planner because she is getting the setup taken care of. Is there such thing? I heard someone call it a "hot mess" but I'm not sure if thats it?? Please help?

Wow.

YOU are an awesome friend.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • it's called being someones biitch and if you want one, you pay for it. That's a really sucky thing to think is an honor for someone you call a friend. 
  • Slave. Runner-up. Lackey. That's what I'd feel like, at least.

You should hire someone to do it if you want someone to be at your beck and call. A day of coordinator, or maybe a personal concierge. Just don't ask one of your friends to do it. It's a sh*t job, and not something that is particularly nice to a friend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards