Honeymoon Discussions

Travel agent price increase

Sorry for my bazillion posts.

I contacted a travel agent who works through Apple. She told me she could beat any price by $50. On Friday, she and I found on Travelocity a package for the Valentin Imperial Maya for $2594. She then stated in an email that her price would be $2544, but she couldn't book us until Monday because in order to do the price match, she had to talk to someone at Apple.

Well she called me and left a message just now. Over the weekend the package price on Travelocity has gone up to $2680 meaning she'll take $2630. That's an increase of $86!

I guess I'm just angry because if I had just booked through travelocity myself on Friday I would have paid less. Is there anything I can do? I haven't called her back yet. Travelocity is the cheapest I've found. I've checked allinclusiveoutlet, cheap carribbean, apple, expedia, orbitz, funjet, and priceline. The next cheapest package is $2860.

Re: Travel agent price increase

• I would get a new travel agent!  I don't like the way she works.
    My Honeymoon Location: Curacao
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Did you place your package on a formal hold? Was the airfare contracted or published? Published air can only be held for 24 hours. If you had placed it on hold with the supplier and the air was contracted, she should still able to price match. If the air went up (most likely what happened) and you didn't have it on hold or it was published, then you are subject to any increases. Unfortunately, your agent is at the mercy of crazy airfare pricing and it sounds like she is offering to beat the current rates. I would actually have her reprice it tomorrow afternoon. It sounds like published air and it will most likely go down tomorrow (Tuesday afternoons usually have the cheapest offerings.)

• I thought the air had gone up as well, but it hasn't. It's the hotel price that went up. My point is she quoted me a price on Friday, and now she won't honor it.
  • Hmmm I think the hotel would have more wiggle room. However, as someone who has worked in that industry in some form (not anymore), unless you actually had the package on hold in the system, all quotes are subject to change unless either a deposit was placed or if you had the hotel on hold in their booking system. If you received a formal quote, the quote should say that.

• Thanks for the feedback ladies. I was just super frustrated. And now the price has gone up yet again. I think I'll check again later before just finally booking.
  • I'm really not understanding how the hotel price keeps going up! Usually hotels lock in their rates with places like Apple. They may have a special that ends on a certain date, but then the price would adjust once and only once. A good TA will not only tell you their quote policy, but would also look at other suppliers than Apple. I have found that suppliers can often be hundreds of dollars apart. I would consider asking the knotties on here if they have a recommendation for someone and see what that agent can come up with. I know on the destination weddings board, there are a lot of recommendations for Beach Bums Vacations and based on the comments, a lot of those trips are to the Caribbean/Mexico. So, they specialize in that area. HTH!

• I just had the same thing happen to me! My agent informed me that the plane tickets increase and decrease almost daily (we found this to be very true). We originally were going to leave on the Monday after our wedding but our total bill increased in one day by $500!! We asked if the price would go down if we moved our departure day back a few day and sure enough we leave Wednesday for the original price we discussed. If you can try leaving on a different day and see if that helps. Good Luck!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards