Iowa-Des Moines

Blocking Rooms?

I'm getting married in August and we are planning on blocking rooms at 2 hotels in Town (They are 2 different price ranges) - and we are inviting about 200 guests - about 100 will be out of towners - just not sure how many will actually come to the wedding. How many rooms should I block in each hotel? I don't want to block to many - but I don't want to block enough. Any suggestions on how many I should block?

Thank you in advance!!

Re: Blocking Rooms?

• edited December 2011
    I would ask the hotels first.  Some hotels only let you block a certain amount at a time. I had a hotel only let me block 15 rooms at a time and then I could call back to see if they were taken and block more as needed.  Hope that helps!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you!! Our wedding is during IA State Fair (and I am not in Des Moines) so hopefully our hotels won't be booked up for any reason so that should work out great!! Thank you!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh my gosh....our wedding is Aug 14th, which is during the fair as well. I was shocked at how much the room rates go up during that time. We are getting married in Bondurant, and we live in Altoona, so I call the motels in Altoona. The Settle Inn was already booked that night and the Holiday Inn Express was 155/night with no discout for reserving a block of rooms since it was during the fair. They said they were almost all booked too!  Hopefully downtown DM isn't the same as here! Good Luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    We have 400 guests, majority from the area or within driving distance of a couple hours.  We have 10 rooms blocked at one hotel, which was the cheaper option. The rooms have two queen size beds in them.  Maybe you should reserve 20 (some are families I assume).  You could also ask the hotels what they recommend.  They will only reserve them until a certain date too.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for the great advice! I appreciate it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards