Iowa-Des Moines

Bridal Connection, Ankeny, IA

Just wanted to get reviews on The Bridal Connection in Ankeny, IA!

Thanks!

Re: Bridal Connection, Ankeny, IA

• erinmarie18erinmarie18 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So funny you ask...I had an "incident" with them, but I have not yet posted anything regarding it.  Basically, my experience was that the owner was incredibly rude and pushy toward me.  I had found a dress earlier in the day at another shop, but I wanted to be sure it was "the one."  We went to the Bridal Connection in Ankeny and tried on the few dresses that they had available within my budget(fairly low as far as wedding dresses go).  Upon trying to leave the store, the owner cornered me to ask me what else she could get me.  I thanked her for her time and shared with her that I had already found the one.  She wouldn't let it go.  As if that weren't annoying enough, she randomly asked me where I was getting married.  I told her the name of our church, she came back with "Well, it must be casual then."  I told her I didn't follow, and she responded with, "Well, based on the dresses you tried on it MUST be casual."  I reminded her that I tried on the only dresses she had in stock at that price range.  Perhaps I am overreacting, but up until that point I would've recommended other brides to the shop.  No more.  NO bride should feel that pressured to buy a dress and even more, insulted when she doesn't chose one from that particular shop.  I can say that the consultant that assisted me for most of my appointment that day was wonderful.  Too bad I can't remember her name.  Feel free to check the place out, but I wouldn't waste my time.  I've also spoke to another bride that was  completely turned off by the owner's pushiness and lack of knowledge when she went to shop for her honeymoon.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest:)
  • medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went in there to try on dresses a couple weeks back. The woman that helped me was nice, however I had to get in and out of each dress alone. When I went to DB they helped me get in an out of each dress. The dresses I tried on were heavy so by the time I had walked out to look in the mirror I was already hot and didn't want to see because I was uncomfortable. The owner was there as well, she was talking to my MOH's and they seemed to get along but she then never said a word to me, I was the one paying....
    IDK if I'll go back, they did have 1 dress I liked but not sure it is worth it.
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • babygirl7727babygirl7727 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will agree with the other girls.  They girl helping me was nice and helpful but I had a couple problems there.  First, I'm in plus size dresses and they don't have a big selction there.  Second, they didn't have undergarments for plus size girls to use so you didn't have a good idea of what they the dresses looked like because let's be honest nothing was held in correctly. Third, if you are trying to stay in a budget their selection is limited for bridal dresses and bridesmaid dresses.

I wouldn't say my experience was horrible enough to tell you not to go there but I wasn't all that impressed either.  I found more choices at DB then in Ankeny.  And my expiences had DB haven't been all that fantastic either but they had the dress I loved.

Good luck wherever you decide to go.
  • edited December 2011
    I bought my dress there back in May and am surprised but what you guys have said! The girl that helped me was very nice and I thought the owner was as well. She helped me try on all of the dresses and gave me different undergarments to try on with the dresses as well. I really enjoyed them actually. My only complaint was that they told me my dress would be in in 2-3 months and it's been 4 and I still haven't heard anything!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I went there back in May.  I tried on a few dresses but just didn't find anything I was in love with.  Basically I kept comparing every dress to one I had tried on a few weeks before.  My friend asked me if I was still thinking about that one and I said yes.  Then the consultant started asking me who the designer was and then said they could order the dress even though they didn't carry that designer.  It was a nice offer but she did seem kinda pushy about it.  I guess my main disappointment was in regards to the selection they had in my price range.  I wouldn't really say it was a bad experience but I had a better experience at other places.  (PS I ended up going back and buying that dress I kept comparing everything to)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of your input!
  • ebagnallebagnall member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know anything about The Bridal Connection but I would definitely recommend Stacey's in Des Moines!  Everyone there was so helpful and when I said that wanted to go home and think about the dresses I tried on they weren't pushy at all, very understanding.  She said it was perfectly natural to waant ot think about it and that lots of brides did it.  I went back and bought the dress I fell in love with there.  They have all kinds of undergarments that you can try on with the dresses so you don't have to feel uncomfortable.  Defintely a good place!
  • edited December 2011
    I have had the same unpleasant experiences with Bridal Connection in Ankeny. I was a BM in a friends wedding. I am now planning my own wedding and I REFUSE to use the store. I would suggest the Perry Bridal Boutique now in the east village. also, schaffers in west Des moines was great.
  • edited December 2011
    Okay, so I got my wedding dress from there and thought they had great service and I really liked it. Then when I went to get my dress when it came in it was the complete opposite! No one helped me put it on and once it was on no one even talked to me! The only thing they did was hand me the dress to try on. I even had to ask myself when I need to come back for fittings. It was ridiculous! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I know this is an old board, but I thought I would put my 2 cents in and I wish I would have looked at this before trying on dresses. I went in Feb. only because I had seen a dress online and they were the only ones who carried it in Iowa. Before I went there we went to the small bridal shop in my hometown (where I currently live). I had amazing service at that store. When I went to Bridal Connection it was crazy busy with prom girls, bridal girls, entire wedding parties, etc. It was super overwhelming! I really didn't like how all the gowns were in plastic bags and stuffed on racks. It was difficult to see them. I had my mom, sister and a friend with me and they even had a horrible time sitting there. I really enjoyed the lady that helped me and I did end up ordering the dress, btw she had to take my measurements in the middle of 100 people because it was so freaking crazy!

They just called and left a message today to say it was in. When I called back, they put me on hold for over 5 minutes, so I hung up and never received a call back. So, when I called after work this is how the conversation went:
    Me:"Hi, this is XXX and Mandy called to tell me my bridal gown was in."
    Her: "O.K." silence
    Me: "She said something about storage options."
    Her: "Yep, probably." silence
    Me: "So, do you mind explaining them."
    Her: "Well, we have bags"
    Me: "I know I bought one"
    Her: "Oh" silence "well, we have a 10 day hold policy"
    Me: I cut her off, "I live an hour and half away, do I need to come in and try it on?"
    Her: "Yeah"

Finally we got a time scheduled! This lady was super incompetant and very unhelpful. I've never bought a wedding dress before, I had 0 idea on what was supposed to happen. Hopefully I won't need any alterations or I can find them through someone else. I have 0 patience for rudeness.

• edited December 2011

I was shocked reading the other reviews! I had the most wonderful experience at the Bridal Connection. Everyone that was working that day was very knowledgable and helpful. My consultant was so sweet, and she actually even picked out the dress that turned out to be THE ONE. I loved the atmosphere there. I will recommend the Bridal Connection to all my friends and family!

• edited December 2011

My experience at The Bridal Connection was GREAT!! When I came in I was greeted promptly which made me feel special from the start.  Everyone was very helpful and very nice! I've been to other places in my search for my gown and I never got treated the way I did at this store. I couldnt believe the difference.  I recommend this store to every bride looking for a gown.  This was the best service ever!  I'm super excited for my wedding day!!
    Laura D.

• edited December 2011
    I am more than suprised by the posts made about the Bridal Connection. I am happy to say that I am a Bridal Connection Bride, they are fabulous! The staff at the Bridal Connection was more than helpful, they gave me the attention I deserve as well as helped me find my "WOW" dress! I could not be more happy with how the Bridal Connection treated me as a bride or as a customer!
  • edited December 2011

I have been dreaming about my wedding forever, so I had extremely high expectations for my dress! The Bridal Connection did not disappoint me. The moment I walked in the door, I was greeted by a bubbly receptionist and appointment just went uphill from there. I met one on one with my consultant, who was genuinely interested in the details of my wedding and what I was looking for in a dress. It turned out I had no idea what I really wanted, but the girl I was working with knew exactly what would look good on me and match the vision for my wedding. She picked out a dress that ended up being the perfect one! When it came in, which was sooner than I'd expected, they called me right away. I needed a few alterations done, and the seamstress was just as friendly and helpful as the rest of the staff. Everything about my wedding dress was perfect! The experience itself was awesome.  The Bridal Connection should be everyone's first stop for wedding dress shopping!

• linzrs164linzrs164 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am suprised by all the coments about The Bridal Connection. I bought my dress there just this summer and I had a great experience there! All the staff and the owner were very helpful. My consultant, Aslynn, was attentive and helped me get in and out of all the dresses I tried on. I had marked a few dresses that I had wanted to try on but both the owner and Aslynn (not knowing the other had mentioned it) suggested I try on a dress that another client currently had on. I tried it on and it ended up being perfect! I did not recieve this treatment at any other store I attended. They made me feel special from the moment I walked in the door.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards