• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
September 2010 Weddings

taboo

Is there anyone getting married on 9/11?

Re: taboo

• There are at least two girls on this board getting married on 9/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i am getting married on 9/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I thought there were like 4 on here...and I know a couple IRL. Not taboo.
  • Why is it taboo? I am getting married on Sept. 11th. I didn't know anyone directly that was hurt or affected on that day. Also something bad has happened on every day in history. Is your day taboo? We are making this a day of celebration and happy memories for our families is that taboo?
    http://www.weddingwire.com/kevinnicki Wedding Countdown Ticker image 108 Invited! image 85 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out image 05 Are MIA
  • In Response to taboo:
    [QUOTE]Is there anyone getting married on 9/11?
    Posted by rangerdanger33[/QUOTE]

Can I make a general statement?  And it might be unpopular but I'll take that chance.  The people who have asked this question in the past, I have noticed, aren't from the NY area.  Do you all think that the city is still shut down, 9 years later?  It's just a day now.  Yes, there is a moment of silence held for each tower, but in between, the day just goes on. 

I had an aunt, four uncles and my father who worked full-time in NYC when this all went down.  My dad was sitting in the Lincoln Tunnel, heard the crash of the first plane, turned around, and never returned.  He is traumatized, he has never been back to the city he grew up in and lived in for so long. 

We were lucky they all made it out, especially my uncle who was in WTC Building 4, and we recognize that others weren't so lucky, but for pete's sake, yes you can have your wedding on 9/11, yes you can fly on 9/11, you can do whatever you want!!  As a matter of fact, it's still my mom's birthday!  We still celebrate! 

End rant. 
  • 9/11 is my wedding day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think the OP is meaning this in a bad way..from her profile, 9/11 is her wedding date.. this is her post from another thread:

Thank goodness...another 9/11 wedding!  We are getting married then and the responses are all over the board when I tell people the date.  If I phrase it as the   11th of Sptember, people tend to not put it together but when I say 9/11 I usually get the standard, head tilt and "awww" followed by a that's nice.  UGH!  I have been blogging my wedding journey and wrote a whole post about how I was taking 9/11 for me.  Yes, I was there and I remember but its another date in history that I will always remember for TWO reasons now.  Happy wedding to you!!!

• I wouldn't get married on 9/11.

My family, 90% of them live in NYC, would be livid. However, I don't judge people for getting married on 9/11.
  • edited June 2010
    Even if I were from NYC, I wouldn't be 'livid'.  I'm with Zoe on this 100%.

The only reason I wouldn't have my wedding on that date is if I (or someone very close to me) actually lost someone that day - because I wouldn't schedule my wedding on the anniversary of a death of a loved one, regardless of whether or not it was a national tragedy.

Edit: my uncle was in the Pentagon that day, and several of my friends had family in NYC, so I was very distraught and it was an extremely stressful day, it's not like I wasn't personally affected by it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to Re: taboo:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't get married on 9/11. My family, 90% of them live in NYC, would be livid. However, I don't judge people for getting married on 9/11.
    Posted by Lauriac[/QUOTE]

Seriously?  I'm from NYC...I wouldn't be "livid." 
  • In Response to Re: taboo:
    [QUOTE]Even if I were from NYC, I wouldn't be 'livid'.  I'm with Zoe on this 100%. The only reason I wouldn't have my wedding on that date is if I (or someone very close to me) actually lost someone that day - because I wouldn't schedule my wedding on the anniversary of a death of a loved one, regardless of whether or not it was a national tragedy. Edit: my uncle was in the Pentagon that day, and several of my friends had family in NYC, so I was very distraught and it was an extremely stressful day, it's not like I wasn't personally affected by it. 
    Posted by LauraT25[/QUOTE]

What she said.  But other than that, I think "livid" is strange. 
  • There are plenty of 9/11 brides.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes I am getting married on 9/11 it was the only saturday my venue had available. It probably would not be my first choice but it did not bother me enough to not do it. We will always remember what happened and honor those who died but life must go on!
  • Zoe and Laura have both said it well.
    So ditto them!
    [URL=http://tinyurl.com/codlr5]My Bio [/URL]
  • I'm also getting married on 9/11 - it also happens to be my parents 39th wedding anniversary.

We will never forget what happened that day but we have move forward from the tragedy. Life does and will go on.
    Alison and Tom 9~11~10
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards