Snarky Brides

Hideous earrings my MiL gave me....

I had this on another forum, but I got yelled at for nor being appreciative. Dude, here's the thing.  My mother-in-law, who is nice but a terrible, terrible gift giver, gave me a pair of earrings this week, that she said she "hoped I would wear for the wedding". OMG HERE THEY ARE, I FOUND THEM ONLINE: http://www.jewelry.com/piece.do?id=382
OH MY GOD, WHY WOULD I EVER WEAR THESE ON MY WEDDING DAY? I mean, yes, I like dolphins, fine, Flipper is cool with me, clowns of the sea and all that, but WHY IN GOD'S NAME WOULD I WEAR THESE? FOR MY WEDDING?
When she gave them to me, I kind of politely made an "erk" sound and was non-committal, but I will, at some point, have to tell her that I'm definitely not wearing them. Fiance is equally horrified at terrible aquatic jewelry, but doesn't know what to say- his mom is super sensitive and takes everything personally. The box with them in it is on my coffee table right now, and we keep looking at them and shrieking and giggling and shrieking again. He taped them to his own ears last night- I suggested that, since it was his mother's gift, he should wear them.

Can I "lose" them somewhere?

Re: Hideous earrings my MiL gave me....

• I got some not so lovely earrings for Christmas, but they were not as...er, lovely as yours:0)

I would suggest wearing them around her, but tell her you've got other plans for the wedding.  No way in hell I would wear them!
  • No one yelled at you for not being appreciative, we yelled at you for COMPLETELY OVERREACTING.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • The answer is still no, you cannot "lose" them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hideous-earrings-mil-gave?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:fd97c465-b5c6-4282-ba97-2b5463f37b84Post:e184fb91-5e9a-4857-acd0-ec75ef20ee06">Re: Hideous earrings my MiL gave me....</a>:
    [QUOTE]No one yelled at you for not being appreciative, we yelled at you for COMPLETELY OVERREACTING.
    Posted by mwhitson14[/QUOTE]

You ladies are CRAZY!  She's obviously concerned about hurting her future mother-in-law's feelings.  She is <strong><em>not</em></strong> overreacting...it's absolutely hilarious!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hideous-earrings-mil-gave?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:fd97c465-b5c6-4282-ba97-2b5463f37b84Post:4ea21a39-805f-4015-b93b-5c751c3b4997">Re: Hideous earrings my MiL gave me....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hideous earrings my MiL gave me.... : You ladies are CRAZY!  She's obviously concerned about hurting her future mother-in-law's feelings.  She is not overreacting...it's absolutely hilarious!
    Posted by sophistryliz[/QUOTE]

It takes more than 72 posts to know what this board used to be like.
  • Op- if you are concerned about your FMIL feelings, don't ya think they will be more hurt if you "lose" them, than if you wear them to a different function, and man up and tell her you have earnings for your dress.

In the realm of earnings, they don't even tip the hideous scale, but they aren't wedding wear. Just wear them to a shower or the rehearsal dinner, and be appreciative that your FMIL was trying.

If the worst problem you have is your FMIL is a bad gift giver, then you are pretty set. So quit shrieking like a five year old when you open the box, and just wear them to something else. 
    Photobucket
  • SB has really gone soft.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Ditto B.

WTF kind of reaction did you think you'd get on a board called "Snarky Brides"?
  • E is way more snarky than SB.  Maybe they need to change the title of this board to Validation Central or something.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• I personally think the title "The Board of YOUR DAAAAAAAY!" is way more appropriate.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• I think they're cute, but you could dress them up a bit by replacing the dolphins with little baby doll eyes.
  • You just need to be honest. My FMIL came to me the other day with these hideaous, small beaded clutch/purse things. You know, just not my thing, looked like something I'd sneak out of grandmas closet when I was little to play dress up with. I politely said they were beautiful but just not my style and I wouldn't use them. Luckily FI was there to back me up and say "I really don't see you using those" to help me get the words out. It's hard, but she was fine and life went on!
  • Also, you guys sound like a pair of tools, making fun of the gift his mom gave to you and "shrieking and giggling" about it.  Seriously, the woman was trying to do something nice for you.  You suck.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Just say they don't match your dress and don't wear them during the wedding. Problem solved. But just to be nice to her, I'd wear them at least once when you see her, like if you go out to dinner or something.

But the shrieking and giggling thing seems a bit much to me. Are you 12? Put them in a drawer and forget about them until MIL comes to visit.
  • Are you by chance getting married at Sea World? Because then those would be the perfect accessory!

I am new to this board, so maybe the rules for the Snarky Bride section are that we are supposed to be mean to whomever is posting, but for anyone saying that you are overreacting and whatnot, why not lend them the earrings they are defending?  It would fulfill their "something borrowed" after all!  :-)
    Expecting our first... Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hideous-earrings-mil-gave?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:fd97c465-b5c6-4282-ba97-2b5463f37b84Post:38ceff5f-56cc-40dd-9b66-0d75c7c5e8b8">Re: Hideous earrings my MiL gave me....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you by chance getting married at Sea World? Because then those would be the perfect accessory!<strong> I am new to this board, so maybe the rules for the Snarky Bride section are that we are supposed to be mean to whomever is posting</strong>, but for anyone saying that you are overreacting and whatnot, why not lend them the earrings they are defending?  It would fulfill their "something borrowed" after all!  :-)
    Posted by B&B1221[/QUOTE]
    Well, it's called Snarky for a reason.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hideous-earrings-mil-gave?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:fd97c465-b5c6-4282-ba97-2b5463f37b84Post:38ceff5f-56cc-40dd-9b66-0d75c7c5e8b8">Re: Hideous earrings my MiL gave me....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you by chance getting married at Sea World? Because then those would be the perfect accessory! I am new to this board, so maybe the rules for the Snarky Bride section are that we are supposed to be mean to whomever is posting, but for anyone saying that you are overreacting and whatnot, why not lend them the earrings they are defending?  It would fulfill their "something borrowed" after all!  :-)

HAHAHA...that made me laugh almost as hard as I did when I saw those earrings. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hideous-earrings-mil-gave?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:fd97c465-b5c6-4282-ba97-2b5463f37b84Post:dad04580-8f6d-4dca-9269-025fb8b876aa">Re: Hideous earrings my MiL gave me....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hideous earrings my MiL gave me.... : It takes more than 72 posts to know what this board used to be like.
    Posted by kate51485[/QUOTE]

Honey, after almost 3,000 posts...I think it's time to get a life. ; )
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hideous-earrings-mil-gave?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:fd97c465-b5c6-4282-ba97-2b5463f37b84Post:9830a480-43a5-4bf0-a28f-bc39374e1b5d">Re: Hideous earrings my MiL gave me....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hideous earrings my MiL gave me.... : Honey, after almost 3,000 posts...I think it's time to get a life. ; )

And in those 3000 posts I have come to know Kate as an amazing woman with lots of great advice. Having friendships and a place of retreat on an internet forum is not every one's cup of tea, but you are really just being a judgy idiot here.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hideous-earrings-mil-gave?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:fd97c465-b5c6-4282-ba97-2b5463f37b84Post:9830a480-43a5-4bf0-a28f-bc39374e1b5d">Re: Hideous earrings my MiL gave me....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hideous earrings my MiL gave me.... : Honey, after almost 3,000 posts...I think it's time to get a life. ; )

Wow.  You're a twatwaffle.

[QUOTE]Are you by chance getting married at Sea World? Because then those would be the perfect accessory! I am new to this board, so maybe the rules for the Snarky Bride section are that we are supposed to be mean to whomever is posting, but for anyone saying that you are overreacting and whatnot, why not lend them the earrings they are defending?  It would fulfill their "something borrowed" after all!  :-)

I'd have no problem wearing those.  And even if I did, I wouldn't sit there like a prissy douchebag middle schooler and giggle and shriek and mock the present my FMIL gave me from the goodness of her heart with my equally douchetastic FI, while he tapes them to his ears and parades around like a moron.  Then again, I'm all about the classy, not the klassy.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hideous-earrings-mil-gave?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:fd97c465-b5c6-4282-ba97-2b5463f37b84Post:31195c2f-03e8-44d2-bcd6-20723e18d528">Re: Hideous earrings my MiL gave me....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hideous earrings my MiL gave me.... : I'd have no problem wearing those.  And even if I did, I wouldn't sit there like a prissy douchebag middle schooler and giggle and shriek and mock the present my FMIL gave me from the goodness of her heart with my equally douchetastic FI, while he tapes them to his ears and parades around like a moron.  Then again, I'm all about the classy, not the klassy.
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

No kidding.  My FMIL thinks I'm a crazy cat lady, but I never make fun of the ceramic cat that you put a candle in... or the tote bag with a princess kitty on it... or the glittery kitty puzzle... or...

Seriously, though, you've got some maturing to do.
  • Wow I love reading the posts...women get so caddy!  lol  I on the other hand wouldn't wear the earrings & would just let the FMIL know they are your style, but that you appreciate the thoughtfulness of the gift & maybe the RD is an option just to suck it up?!  Good memory if you did!!
  • So caddy, huh?  I don't even like golf.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hideous-earrings-mil-gave?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:fd97c465-b5c6-4282-ba97-2b5463f37b84Post:f92b11ac-79bb-4054-a315-c7f3743b3adf">Re: Hideous earrings my MiL gave me....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow I love reading the posts...women get so caddy!  lol  I on the other hand wouldn't wear the earrings & would just let the FMIL know they are your style, but that you appreciate the thoughtfulness of the gift & maybe the RD is an option just to suck it up?!  Good memory if you did!!
    Posted by porsha810[/QUOTE]

So caddy? Can I wear a cute outfit at least?
  • I wouldn't wear those to my wedding.

Why don't you wear them to dinner with her? Send a nice thank you note. Or tell her you will wear them on the honeymoon or something. I think diversion is the best tactic here (not outright telling her they are not your style).
  • O wow. i thought it was pretty funny. Thank her nicely and make sure to wear them in front of her but tell her that you already have earrings for the wedding but thanks sooo much. no big deal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1) Wear them to the rehearsal dinner and say you already had something in mind for the wedding, so you're still wearing them on a special occassion.

2) This board makes me giggle.
  • Does she have anything nice that you like?  Maybe you could ask to borrow something (a ring, a bracelet, whatever) that would go better with your wedding look, so you're honoring her by wearing something of hers... but say that you already had earrings in mind, or wanted your earrings to be your "something new" or something like that.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hideous-earrings-mil-gave?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:fd97c465-b5c6-4282-ba97-2b5463f37b84Post:c1de0657-6545-43d4-a514-1512266fd7ee">Re: Hideous earrings my MiL gave me....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, I took a look at those and they aren't nearly as bad as I'd envisioned.  The way the OP was screaming and carrying on, I was picturing something much more colorful, much more gaudy, and possibly involving flashing LEDs or battery-operated spinning fins.  They aren't my taste, but I'm mature enough to handle the situation better.  Example: "Oh, that's so thoughtful!  My dress is white with silver beading, though, so the gold doesn't really go with it.  I'll have to find an outfit for the RD/shower/day-after brunch that these will look great with." OP: grow up.  If you're mature enough to be getting married, you should be mature enough to accept gifts gracefully.
    Posted by lisarose7[/QUOTE]

Lady, they're <u><em><strong>BAD!</strong></em></u> hahaha...I think the situation is hilarious.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards