Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Piping

Does anyone know if piping is expensive for wedding cakes? Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Piping

• FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is certainly a time requirement for the decorator but it seems to be pretty standard on cakes. I'd say you'll find the price for piping to be fairly resonable based on the other additions you can make to cake! Definitely worth talking about with your baker, though!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    I think that piping costs less than fondant, but it might depend on the level of detail and the specific baker. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Kimberly0402Kimberly0402 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks. We don't want fondant. It's a waste of money and we just don't like it so we were thinking buttercream with piping. I'll have to check out different bakers!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    "Piping" isn't related to "Fondant."

"Piping" is the decor on the cake generally using Royal Icing or an equivalent.  It can be on both buttercream and fondant cakes.  Intricate piping will cost more than standard piping.  It pretty much depends on the size of the cake, etc. and what type of piping is required. 

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_piping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:590d7304-d763-4c8e-a889-b6a98c1d6a93Post:3d3b02d3-7e21-4e07-9efb-17f35d445483">Re: Piping</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>"Piping" isn't related to "Fondant."</strong> "Piping" is the decor on the cake generally using Royal Icing or an equivalent.  It can be on both buttercream and fondant cakes.  Intricate piping will cost more than standard piping.  It pretty much depends on the size of the cake, etc. and what type of piping is required. 
    Posted by HYDROPHILE[/QUOTE]

I don't think "anyone" was "confused" about "this". 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_piping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:590d7304-d763-4c8e-a889-b6a98c1d6a93Post:5ec0c8ba-f816-4497-b59a-9e6229f20623">Re: Piping</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Piping : I don't think "anyone" was "confused" about "this". 
    Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

No "need" to be "rude" with your overuse of quotation marks.  I was merely bringing attention to the two words as they specifically relate to baking terminology.  Absurd. And yes, I used the quotation marks incorrectly just now on purpose.

Guess what?  I'm human.  I made a mistake.  I misread what the PP had said.  I thought they said they don't really like fondant so they were going with piping.  I didn't read the buttercream portion of their post.
  • edited December 2011
    OP, i think wiscbliss was trying to give you a reference point, that extra piping is usually cheaper than the going rate for fondant.  that's how i read it anyway.  i'd bring photos of what you want to the bakery, or maybe sketch something out, so you get the most accurate quote from them.

our baker does a lot of piping in the standard cake rate.  to me, this = vines, flowers, etc.  i think if we wanted a REALLY intricate basketweave design or something like that they would charge us extra for the time and skill it requires.
  • chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_piping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:590d7304-d763-4c8e-a889-b6a98c1d6a93Post:2fedafab-e95a-4f12-bec9-6e2a911c66a1">Re: Piping</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Piping : No "need" to be "rude" with your overuse of quotation marks.  I was merely bringing attention to the two words as they specifically relate to baking terminology.  Absurd. <strong>And yes, I used the quotation marks incorrectly just now on purpose. </strong>Guess what?  I'm human.  I made a mistake.  I misread what the PP had said.  I thought they said they don't really like fondant so they were going with piping.  I didn't read the buttercream portion of their post.
    Posted by HYDROPHILE[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying. I was really getting in a tuff about proper use of quotation marks...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards