California-Los Angeles

How do you do it?

FI and I aren't planning on beginning to plan until the end of summer.  I still know that I'm giong to be super stressed/nervous/etc during this next year or two. How did/do you cope? Any tips on how to just take it easy? All the questions from everyone are already starting to ramp up my stress!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: How do you do it?

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's only as stressful as you make it.  I was planning my FL wedding in CA while starting nursing school and my wedding date was one week before finals.  That was enough stress for me.

I found a venue that came with a DOC (thank goodness!).  I picked colors and asked my BM to order dresses in that color from a certain designer (best idea ever).  I had a really great florist and that was it for my decorations, of course it helped that my ceremony was outdoors so I really didn't need to do any decorating besides flowers.  My favors were ordered about 3 weeks before (personalized M&Ms already packaged in individual tins) and we had them shipped to the venue.  Our photographer recommended our officiant and florist and I found our DJ through the company I ordered my dress with.  Oh, and I ordered my invitations online (they really weren't anything special but that was fine with me).

If you feel like you'll be stressed think about hiring a coordinator.  The ladies on this board can recommend a few.  I don't know what I would have done without my DOC.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I know I want a DOC. It sounds like everything just fell together for you. I'm sure it'll happen that way, taking it one thing at a time. But looking at the big picture..whew! Looks like so much!
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, it is but like you said, one thing at a time.  Just remember, if it doesn't stop you and your FI form saying "I do", it's not that important.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you! That is an amazing thing to keep in mind!
  • garggrlgarggrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Honestly, if you find vendors that are helpful and know people, it helps a lot. I also went to a bridal store in Manhattan Beach called A Legendary Affair. The owner Cynthia is s hugeeeee help. She has any kind of vendor you can think of.

You will probably be stressed, and it's normal. But your wedding is a while away so you have time. Just think, It's not like your planning it in 6 months.

A DOC helps a lot! I suggest you get one. I would be sooo lost if I did not have one.

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011

Once you book your venue ask them if they have a recommended vendor list. That's the route we took.Our venue was hosting a bridal show one day. They had vendors that had worked there before. We hired our DJ and Photographer from their recommended vendor list and got to see thier work. The event/catering coordinator is the DOC so that's a great help. It also helps that the vendors have worked at that venue before and know the rules. Good Luck.

Maya
    (ISSR Shiloh Shepherd)
    wedding websites
  • edited December 2011
    Dont let the planning get into stress mode...
    Yes, i can, and maybe it will here and there, BUT you should enjoy this time, and really take it all in.
    You only plan a wedding once, so enjoy the planning process.
    Make a list of your top priorities, once you start checking things off that list you will start to see it slowly come together,

I know its easier said than done.. I, too, would get stressed out, BUT, you can ask most of the married ladiesd here on board.. The day went as planned, and it was the ONE of the BEST days of our lifes.

Again, enjoy being engaged, and let the planning unfold ;)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm definitely enjoying being engaged!! I'm excited to start learning all of the things that come along with the wedding and I hope it just falls in to place when we do finally start planning.  Thanks for the encouragement ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards