June 2013 Weddings

One more annoying hotel block post

Since we're having a hotel reception, we blocked off the maximum number of rooms possible, 40, for the the night before and night of our wedding. Our guest list is 130-ish people and every single person invited is going to need a room. Granted some are families and my BM's will all share a suite, FI's GM's will all share a room, etc. There are very few hotels in our area and I called the only hotel thats within walking distance from the reception (right across the street) and they're really expensive and it doesn't seem worth it. I don't want people to have to drive after the reception. 

Anyways, for those of you blocking off hotel rooms, what number of rooms are getting versus the size of your guest list? Is 40 rooms going to be enough? 
                                                                              Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: One more annoying hotel block post

• For us its a bit different.  We estimate (if everyone comes) a need for about 35 rooms (inviting 130, and expecting approx 70 need rooms).  Most places only wanted to do 10 at a time, with the opportunity for more if the initial ones fill up so we're blocking 30 (20 at one hotel and 10 at another).

Plus, our venue is in a major city close to public transportation and taxis, if people don't like prices of the blocked rooms there are loads of options for them to find themselves.

I think that blocking rooms is a courtesy and certainly not required. You have given the option and if people would prefer to stay sober enough to drive somewhere cheaper they can do that.  Some people will probably do that, so I think you've definitely blocked enough rooms.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Try looking at the number of std or invites that you'll be sending out, because like you've said not every person is going to get their own room there are couples and famlies and such. My fiance and I have a guest list of 197 people, but we only need to send out 87 std and invites. Hope this helps you! Smile 
  • We initially blocked 10 rooms for the night of, and 5 rooms for the night before, but most of our guests are local. Our friends will mostly be the ones staying, and we have the option to add on additional rooms from now until the cut-off date for reservations.

Is there another reasonably priced hotel that's not too far away? I know some of the hotels I looked at offered a deal where if x amount of rooms were booked, they'd do a complimentary shuttle for the reception. It might be worth a couple of phone calls...40 rooms for 130 people sounds like it might be pushing it, unless you've got a lot of 2 parents/2-3 kid combos on the guest list, who will only need one room for the group. I know you're in a unique situation because you're getting married in a vacation town...hopefully it will work out and you'll have rooms for everyone!!
  • Two things ... have you asked the hotel if they will block off another 40 rooms once the first 40 are blocked off?  If so, you might want to send out an email to your bridal party/family/VIPS (people who know that they absolutely will be there) and ask if they don't mind booking their hotel room in advance so that the hotel can open up another block.  A wedding my FI was in last summer did that (we booked our room a year in advance!) and I recently did the same thing with my close family that I know will be traveling.

Second, will the hotel honor your guest rate beyond the 40 rooms, provided they still have rooms available?  I guess it all depends on the hotel, but ours will honor the guest rate beyond the number of "blocked out" rooms up until a month before the wedding if they still have rooms available.  If that's the case, maybe just send the word out to people that they need to book sooner rather than later?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_one-more-annoying-hotel-block-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:a15d905b-042c-406f-8810-4bfafed8fe4bPost:afd1ae56-4b47-421d-8660-1f383b269df2">Re: One more annoying hotel block post</a>:
    [QUOTE]Two things ... have you asked the hotel if they will block off another 40 rooms once the first 40 are blocked off?  If so, you might want to send out an email to your bridal party/family/VIPS (people who know that they absolutely will be there) and ask if they don't mind booking their hotel room in advance so that the hotel can open up another block.  A wedding my FI was in last summer did that (we booked our room a year in advance!) and I recently did the same thing with my close family that I know will be traveling. Second, will the hotel honor your guest rate beyond the 40 rooms, provided they still have rooms available?  I guess it all depends on the hotel, but ours will honor the guest rate beyond the number of "blocked out" rooms up until a month before the wedding if they still have rooms available.  If that's the case, maybe just send the word out to people that they need to book sooner rather than later?
    Posted by krazyblush[/QUOTE]

<div>I've been getting the word out and beginning to pester people to start booking NOW. Our block opened to booking on the first and I want to make sure everyone gets rooms. I know if more than 40 rooms need to be booked they'll honor the rate, but being a vacation/festival/college town there are rarely left over rooms in town. By the sounds of it after talking to another place today they all release blocks 45 days prior because they know they'll fill even without the weddings help.</div>
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Some hotels will offer a shuttle service too and from the venue.  You should call up your venue and see who they recommend.  Also, google the area, and check out all the hotels within 10 min of the  place and ask them for a price! Good luck! I am struggling with this now too! Luckily my wedding is in a busy area, but now there are too many to chose from! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards