Getting in Shape

Discouraged...and 3 months out

I am getting married in (almost) exactly 3 months...and I'm hopelessly discouraged. I've never been significantly over weight, but I wanted to trim down about 15 pounds. I started working out & dieting hard core (1 hour a day of cardio and lifting, eliminate heavy carbs, sweets, etc.) 2 months ago...and decided not to step on the scale until I was in 2 months. Well today was the day...and I GAINED 7 pounds, along with my clothes feeling TIGHTER! What am I doing wrong?! How can I shed the 15 lbs in 3 months??? Tips? Advice?

Re: Discouraged...and 3 months out

• mrauchmrauch member
    First Comment

Hi! I know the feeling. I'm about 4 months out and haven't done no where close to as much as you have. They do say that muscle weighs more than fat. I can say that about 2 years ago, I did 1/2 an hour of pilates 5 days a week followed by cardio for about 1/2 an hour and I noticed a difference within 2 weeks. Maybe try that! Good luck and congratulations!

• Perhaps try being more formal about food -- just eliminating "heavy carbs" and sweets may not be enough.  Try counting your calories for awhile.  I hate doing it, but it's always a wake-up call . . . I eat almost all healthy foods, so if I'm not specifically counting calories I tend to rationalize oversized portions and frequent snacks.  In order to have a good calorie deficit, even with a lot of cardio, I have to watch my calories pretty closely -- maybe you do, too.

Also, don't get discouraged!  I've heard from girls who lift a lot that sometimes you start gaining muscle before you lose much fat, which makes you (temporarily) bigger -- that may be why your clothes feel tighter? 

Three months is enough time if you're disciplined.  GL! 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Calorie counting indeed.
    I know when I work out really hard, it can make me REALLY hungry. Also be sure to feed your body good lean protein after your workouts to help your body recover before you find yourself craving all kinds of things you don't really need & over eat.
    I use MyPlate on Livestrong.com & a lot of people really like Sparkpeople.com too. Both sites will help you set an appropriate calorie goal in order to lose weight.
    Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It sounds to me like you're overdoing it. All the years I spent "killing" myself working out and half-starving myself, I was incredibly unhappy with my body and never lost any weight. Then I learned to workout smart and to eat smart. I walk my dog 30-60 minutes every day, which I guess is cardio.. but certainly not hard cardio. And I do strength training or yoga with small amounts of cardio 3-4 times a week for 30-60 minutes each day. Other than that, I eat healthy mostly organic foods - always whole grain, always lean meat, always with veggies [and make sure you're getting fiber which helps you feel full].

The question is: How did you feel before you stepped on the scale? Did you feel good about yourself or did you feel bad? The scale can do trippy things to us. Your body might have gone into panic starvation mode though. make sure you are eating enough calories so that you don't freak your body out - it needs a lot of nutrients to work so hard.

Other than all of that, a personal trainer might be able to help you improve your workouts so that you get more out of them. Strength training will allow your body to burn more calories throughout the day because muscles burn calories. Focus on major muscle groups, like your legs. Lots of lunges and squats.

And remember, your wedding is just one day. you can suck in 15 lbs with some spanx or something. work on changing your lifestyle [and your mental outlook] so that you can be happy for a lifetime. don't put so much pressure on yourself.
  • Im with you... 100 days away and nothing i have done has shwon me any results...
    Weight Watchers is the the best luck ive had. Down 10 pounds.. No where near my goal of 50 (started 9 months ago).

But im sure no matter what you will be gorgeous in your dress on your day and everything will be perfect. Just enjoy your fiance/husband. :)
    congratulations!

• I think we are all just too hard on ourselves ladies!!  I am the same way.  There is SO much pressure to look amazing on our wedding days and to most of us, that translates to SKINNY!!  Do what's best for your body, eat healthy and watch everything that you eat!  I know that counting calories has been very eye opening for me, not just in "calories" but for sodium and sugars. (Couting is really hard for me on the weekends!  Too many temptations!!) And it's not a sprint.  Getting healthy needs to be about the long run, not the just to get to the wedding day.  I had to learn that lesson myself.  I have lost 20 pounds so far and am feeling great, but I want to lose another 30.  I realize that I won't reach that goal by the wedding, ( maybe another 10 tho!!) but I will reach that goal and most of all I starting to feel good about myself! 

So start by counting calories and keep up the workouts!  You can do it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know how you feel. I have lost 7lbs a few months ago and gained it back because i get overwhelmed.  I have reverse pshycalogy when it comes to needing to lose wight.  Hope all goes well.
  • Count your calories. 

I was absolutely shocked when I started doing this.  I had no clue what I was putting into my body.  For many women in order to lose wieght you need to consume less than 1500 calories a day (never go below 1200, that is dangerous). 
    Keep up the work with your exercise.  i hope that you see results soon!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards