April 2013 Weddings

Girls that bought two dresses:

What are you going to do with the first one?  I looked into consignment, but you really lose a lot of money that way (in AZ anyway).  I was thinking Craigslist.  What are you all doing with your first dresses?

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
110 Invited! image | 65 Have their dancing shoes ready! image | 35 Don't wanna dance. image | 10 Must still be looking for their dancing shoes! image
RSVP Deadline: February 28th

Re: Girls that bought two dresses:

• I have been trying to sell my dress on kijiji (like craigslist) since September.  I have only had one person contact me and no one has wanted to come try on.  I went to a consignment store but they take like 60% of the selling price.

I think I may have to drop the price on the dress.
  • Yes, the consignment consignment places here mark the brand new dress at 65% of the price it sold for.  Then I have to pay $20 for them to do this service, then they take 50% of what they sold it for.  That dress was $249, so I would end up getting just at $70 max.  That s crazy.  I will try and sell the dress for $200.  If that is too high, I will drop it to $150.  I have the slip that goes with the dress, so maybe that will help the sale.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    110 Invited! image | 65 Have their dancing shoes ready! image | 35 Don't wanna dance. image | 10 Must still be looking for their dancing shoes! image
  • My dress was $650 and I have it listed now for $350. Started asking at $450. The consignment store I went to wasn't actually accepting any wedding dresses at the time since the have too many!
  • That sucks!  I think Bridal stores should buy dresses back (if they are brand new with the tag).  Of course, they have to make money, so maybe the buy them back at 85% of what they sold it for?  They make money, brides could get most of their money back, win - win! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have y'all ever heard of the Poshmark app?  It's awesome!  You can take pix of your dress and sell it online through your phone.  It works similar to eBay but they don't take a comission as big as consignment shops. 

If you sign up for Poshmark, please use code HUTYZ so I get a $5 credit for you signing up :-)  If you don't want to, don't worry about it but it would be awesome if you did.

You can also use it to buy and sell regular dresses, shoes, handbags, and jewelry.  I haven't used it much yet but one of my BMs LOVES IT!  She sold a bunch of jeans last week and apparently they have "parties" based off of designers, etc, where a certain designer's stuff is highlighted and people can easily see what fits in that category, if they're not looking for something specific.

This is pretty underground still from what I can determine so I think you'd be less likely to get scams like on Craigslist or eBay.

Good luck, everyone!!
  • Christine9866Christine9866 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Have you checked out Recycled Bride?
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • No advice here, but can you ladies who bought two dresses post them both? I'm just curious to see what you went with originally and what you ended up with!
  • Von - I posted on a new thread both pictures :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The bridal store I bought my first dress at actually ended up closing so I would have had to take elsewhere for alterations which would have stressed me out.

I felt I had a pushy salesperson when I bought the first dress, put a lot of urgency in ordering right then to get a deal.  My second dress buying experience was a lot more relaxed and I didn't feel any pressure.
  • Jo - me too!  She was very pushy telling me what looks good on me and what didn't, getting pissy when i told her my budget, and telling me that i needed to buy a dress soon because you have to order them early.  Um, I bought it that day and took it home - no ordering necessary.  She also had 2 appointments going on at once and was helping me and another bride not giving either one of us her full attention.  She also sold me a dress that i told her i couldn't breathe in, and she told me that they are supposed to be that tight, but if I lost 5 pounds it would be perfect.  It was not - I cannot lose weight off of my ribcage no matter how hard I try, trust me, I tried for months!  I believed her though, because i am not one to argue or overly voice my opinion (bad, I know) and I thought she would know better than i would.  My second experience was great!  Same store (DB) but a different location and the lady was so nice and understanding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • adawn- That is a horrible experience!  I knew I had the wrong dress since I couldn't stop crying after buying the first one. Then I decided the dress was okay and was trying to find a sash to go with but by the time I spent the money on a sash I felt I might as well find something I love instead. I had ordered my first dress and 3 months after ordering I ordered another dress.  I feel a bit silly having a dress just sitting in my closet sometimes.  Nice to know I am not the only one!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards