Connecticut

beach wedding in CT

Hi! Ignore my profile info; due to family stuff, we just changed our wedding plans to a June wedding in CT. We need to find, ASAP, a nice, informal beach venue for ourselves plus our family (7-8 guests). Most of the venues I'm finding are designed for a much larger crowd - and priced for it, too. SE Connecticut (Mystic, Niantic, etc.) would be great. FI's family is in Tolland. Someplace with good restaurants nearby so we can have a nice meal afterwards would be awesome!

And yes, THIS WEEKEND we decided we're getting married in 3 months instead of 10. Aaaah!!!

Thanks!! :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: beach wedding in CT

• Agey310Agey310 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out the State parks such as Hammonasset or Rocky Neck. These places usually have pavillions and can be rented for nominal costs. The downside of these places are that they are public and though you get the pavillion reserved, there are usually random people from the public wandering around the area. I have been to a few ceremonies at places like this and they were very nice and intimate. Good luck & happy planning
  • edited December 2011
    New Haven might be an option for the beach - or at Lighthouse Park, and there are some good placed to eat-- Leon's is in NewHaven and on the water there as well.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011

There is a park in Waterford that is a state park Eniola (SP) Mansion is also there but they have a great arbor and it's on the water. You may not be able to make a reservation for it per se.   Also in Milford, there is an awesome waterfall in the downtown area. They do not charge or take reservations for events there you just go and it is gourgeous . There is a wonderful place nearby Rainbow Gardens for dinner after. Als0 their are a ton of publc beaches in Milford  so for 8 people you could just go there.

• kiki_10kiki_10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure what the deal is to arrange to get married there, but Groton Long Point is lovely. Here are some photos of a wedding there:

http://www.carlateneyck.com/weddings/dan-beth-wedding-groton-long-point.html
  • Vikki2payVikki2pay member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Inn at Mystic or Mystic seaport are beautifu.  You could also try Water's Edge, they maybe able to do it if it's just somehting small.
  • Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Someone mentioned Hammonasset State Park. There's also the Madison Surf Club. 
  • edited December 2011
    You can rent out the grounds at the Stonington Lighthouse for $100/hr. I don't know if there are any good restaurants around though.

http://www.stoningtonhistory.org/rentals_lh.htm
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah I was going to say Stonington. Theres Du Bois beach right after that lgiht house, small beach I think its really pretty with the harbor-ish area right there,and you could eat at Skippers Dock. Doesn't sound super fancy but there food is good. Also in Groton Long Point theres a beach and right across the street is The Fishermen resturant which I think its really good too! HTH
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • tlt0811tlt0811 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were  married May 30, 2009 at hammonasset Beach state park and it was free. the only thing we were charged was for parking, but we gave our guests parking passes that they turned in when the arrived and we wrote a check after all the parking passes were collected. (day of)  the only other thing we had to worry about was a permit for the party bus we rented to transport us everywhere. that needed to be done about 8 weeks before the wedding.  We made a donation to the Friends of Hammonasset beach State Park as our guest favor especially since it was free!!  Because its a public beach there are going to be people watching, no one bothered us everyone was respectiful.

Our reception was at the Owenego beach club.  Im not sure if you are looking for a more formal reception place or more of a nice restaurant to eat at. There are lots of nice places to eat in Madison, Branford and Guilford.

check out our wedding photos

http://www.theknot.com/my-real-wedding/Photo/151194/a-connecticut-beach-wedding-tara-amp-craig-gambardella
    As far as venues to eat are you looking for something 

hope that helps.

Tara
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_beach-wedding-ct?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:f9027ee5-af4b-40eb-b080-d0d732bebfeaPost:24f4b9e7-c913-434d-bdb8-1b0e576998f3">Re: beach wedding in CT</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can rent out the grounds at the Stonington Lighthouse for $100/hr. I don't know if there are any good restaurants around though. <a href="http://www.stoningtonhistory.org/rentals_lh.htm" rel="nofollow">http://www.stoningtonhistory.org/rentals_lh.htm</a>
    Posted by cac847[/QUOTE]

I know Boom just down the road is right on the water and a bit more upscale than the Wharf. You could ask to rent it out. The Waterstreet cafe might be a cute place to do cocktail hour too as you keep moving down Water Street towards the other restaurants. I know there are many gorgeous private summer homes in the area that might let you rent them in like May or June or something and you could bring in catering.

I seriously love Stonington.
  • edited December 2011
    Tara, I pm'd you about Hammonasset, please check!

Thanks to everyone for suggestions; I'm exploring them all!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • tlt0811tlt0811 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got it last week, and wrote you back...I hope you got in time!

Tara
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards