Wedding Invitations & Paper

Addressing an Invitation - Husband in Coma

Hi Everyone-
A close friend of FI has been in a coma for over a year.  He is not expected to ever come out of it and if he does he will be in a vegatative state.  We keep in touch with his wife and their young son and she is on our guest list. 

I am conflicted as to how I should address the wedding invitation.  They are still married and if I were in her shoes I would like to see the invitation addressed as "Mr. & Mrs. FirstName Smith".  However, many fo my friends seem to think I should address the invitation simply as "The Smith Family". 

I fear that in between preparing invitations and mailing them out, our friend will pass (which is very likely).  And if he doesn't, I would hate for my piece of mail with her husband's name on it to cause a breakdown after a stressful day (it's amazing what this woman goes through on a daily basis). 

I feel like either way, I won't address the invitation correctly.  Either she will be offended and think I have written her husband off by addressing as "The Smith Family".  But at the same time, seeing your husband's name on a piece of mail surely stings a little bit. 

It is a sensitive subject and I want our friend to feel welcome at our wedding.  Thoughts?
BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Addressing an Invitation - Husband in Coma

• Is there someone else who is close to her that you can ask?
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge - February - Venue

Photobucket
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I've asked many people.  I'm getting split opinions and a few people who shockingly suggested I address it as "Mrs. Smith".  I'm just looking for unbiased opinions. 
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would put the Smith Family
  • I'd put Smith Family - Since they have a child, its not like you're sending an invitation ONLY to a married couple so she may be used to seeing "and family" or "Smith family"

I"m sorry to hear all that she's going through
  • I agree, I would put The Smith Family as well. That way it doesn't sound like you are assuming anything about their situation... I am putty "The ____ Family" on all my invitations.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you're close enough to her to invite her to your wedding, you're close enough to call and ask, in my opinion. 

If you're not ok with that, then I would suggest addressing it formally. 

Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
    James Smith

It's really not your place to shelter her from her grief.  She's in a horrible situation, but she's not a widow.  Address her as though she's still married - since she is.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • You can't really be tasked with predicting the future.  I addressed my dad's invitation to him and my stepmom, only to find out the day after I mailed it that they had separated.  No way I could have known that was going to happen.

I would just address it the standard way.  If he passes before you mail the invitations, then obviously you'd leave his name off.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I'd go with the Smith Family. It's not the "norm," but this isn't a normal situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards