North Carolina-Outer Banks

Transporting Your Wedding Dress

How is everyone getting your wedding dresses to OBX?  I am flying and will ask the attendant to hang it in the 1st class cabin.  FI flies a lot for work and has some status with UA, so hopefully they'll be nice to us.  Maybe even upgraded to 1st would be the ideal.  I found this site on another thread and thought it might be useful:

http://www.beachbridetobe.com/packingyourdress.html

I am renting a steamer from Metro for my linens and thought I could easily use that for any wrinkles.  Or, I thought about purchasing a hand steamer.  If anyone's got any other tips, please share.

Re: Transporting Your Wedding Dress

• rebecca2929rebecca2929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live only 2 hours from the OBX so I'm just gonna pack it in my car and go.  Once I get there, I'll take it out immediately and hang it at the house.  I purchased a hand steamer from Target so I can steam out any wrinkles the day of.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Hopefully they'll be kind to you---small steamer may be the way to go. Check on where you are staying/ if you have a wedding coordinator to see if you there is one you can borrow prior to renting/buying! Goodluck! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

No coordinator, no resort, etc.  So this will all be on us.

• dwfangirldwfangirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My husband's family drove the dress down for me, which was fantastic!  My dress was mostly chiffon and survived perfectly.  It did also have several days to hang, so any wrinkles there were definitely came out.  I packed a hand-steamer also, which I didn't need, but my husband used it on his shirt the morning of the wedding and he says it didn't work well at all.  So... if you are packing a hand-steamer, you may want to test it out beforehand.  :)
  • edited December 2011
    dwfangirl....what brand steamer did you use?!

has anyone had any luck with a hand steamer, I hate to purchase one, if none of them work?!
  • dwfangirldwfangirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    krhoy - I think it was a Rowenta.  (We actually had registered for it - ha!)
  • rebecca2929rebecca2929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also purchased a Rowenta and thought it did fine, granted I had to keep filling it up.  You can buy compact steamers as well...Conair sells one and there's another one that I've seen but can't remember the name.  They're pretty reasonable, around $25.00.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

Brides, just a little advice.

From all of my years of sewing, I have learned a lot about irons and steamers.  Please test your steamer BEFORE using it on your most valued article of clothing ever.  I have seen some spudder, cough up junk (especially old ones) and generally not work correctly.  Then again, I have seen some great ones.  If you rent one, remember that the salt air takes it's toll on everything down there.

Hope everything works out well for all of you. 

• edited December 2011
    BODERBOO....do you recommend a certain steamer?!  Im looking for one but am hesitant bc I don't know what to be looking for.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards