Honeymoon Discussions

What's your best general HM advice?

Hey Knotties,

Looking for quotes for the mag and I'd love to hear your best general  HM advice. Perhaps something like, "Bring your own bug spray because it's always more expensive at the resort."

TIA!

KA
Tweet? Me too! Have you checked out our My Real Wedding Gallery for ideas? Upload your photos here and be featured on The Knot!

Re: What's your best general HM advice?

• The best advice we got was that a honeymoon does not necessarily have to directly follow the wedding. The wedding is going to be expensive enough, and to follow it up with an extravagant honeymoon? Well, it just wasn't plausible. So, waiting until it fits into out schedule, and our bank account is when it will be--but it certainly doesn't make it any less special. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • back whatever you really need in your carry on, if the airlines lose your luggage you still have your cute bikini, make up, etc in your carry on and the honeymoon can move along without hitting a speedbump.
  • Take whatever kind of honeymoon you as a couple would like.  If you're not into beach vacations, don't go to a Sandals Resort just because everyone else does it!
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Panda,

I definitely agree with you here. My DH and I love to travel, but are not really beachy people. I assumed I that a HM meant sand and umbrella drinks. I spent most of my honeymoon watching my red headed husband apply sunscreen. It was relaxing though...

KA
    Tweet? Me too! Have you checked out our My Real Wedding Gallery for ideas? Upload your photos here and be featured on The Knot!
  • Don't leave the day after your wedding.  You will be exhausted.  Give yourself the day after to relax, then leave the following day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Haha, KA, that's funny.  My DH has red hair, too.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Go where you and FI want to go-no matter what anyone else thinks of it.

Do your research re: currency, weather etc..about where you're going.

Don't go into debt just to have a HM-it's just a vacation.

Review carry-on and luggage restrictions before you go to avoid nasty surprises re:  carry-on size or luggage weight limits.

Don't assume you have to go on your HM right after the wedding. Go when is convenient for your schedules or the best time to visit where you're going,

If you want to snorkel bring biodegradable sunscreen! Be nice to the reefs!!!

If you plan on snorkeling invest in your own mask and snorkel. Nothing ruins snorkeling like an ill-fitting mask or using a snorkel used by 200 other people.

• Plan for what you like, that way you're guarenteed to have a good time, and be willing to bend on some things (no kids resorts are generally more expensive, so that was low on our list).  Stick to a budget.

Make a list of the things you want to do while you're there, and figure out what is the most important part for you - prioritize it.

On the surface, it seems like we're going with the "traditional" beach honeymoon.  Our top priority wasn't the beach, it was the scuba diving.  When you're more interested in what is in the water than what's on the shore, the beach almost comes as a given.

Since diving was top on the list for activities, we looked mostly at what would have the best diving packages with equipment storage and care, and also places that would have stellar diving for a good price.  Sport Diver and our local dive shop (they also coordinate dive trips) became our biggest resources.  The combination of those recommendations really helped in making the decision.
  • Oh, in response to alithebride, Coppertone makes wonderful biodegradable sunscreen in SPF 70+.
    And scuba diving shops are some of the best places to get snorkeling equipment - since different styles fit faces differently, they know how to find what will work best for each person's face shape (my mask and snorkel are both scubapro).

... Sorry for the tangent... I love to dive (and snorkel, if I don't have a tank or another person available).
    Laughing
  • Make sure that you get pictures of the two of you together.  We only have a couple of pictures of us on our honeymoon because we didn't think to ask other people to take our picture.  I wish I had more pictures of the two of us on our honeymoon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards