Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Curious about tux vests

Hi ladies,
For those of you who have or are going the tux route, did your FIs or Hs wear a white colored vest or did they wear a vest in one of your colors? We were at Tuxedo Junction tonight selecting colors and whatnot, and the guy helping us said that more than 95% of grooms usually do white vests while the groomsmen are the ones to wear vests in one of the wedding colors. I've never been to weddings where this was the case, just the groom would wear a vest in one of the colors while the men would all be decked out in a different color.

For the record, groom is going to do a patterned vest in sage (looks nicer than it sounds) with a solid tie while the guys will be in a solid vest (same color) with a patterned tie...
My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011

Re: Curious about tux vests

• elishanbelishanb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The people at Men's warehouse said the same thing to us but my FI choose not to wear the white vest. He and his GMs will all be wearing black vests.

I think what you chose will look nice. I've only been to a couple weddings where the groom wore a white vest while the others wore another color.
    image.
  • kime31kime31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI is wearing an ivory tie and vest.  The GM are wearing navy ties and vests.  But our tuxs are grey too so we thought it would look nice that way.  I think its all a preference so whatever you and your FI want is what you should do!  What you described sounds nice and a good subtle way to differentiate between the guys!
  • edited December 2011

MW and another tux place told us the same thing. They also said the RB should match the groom and the fathers shouldn't match anyone in the BP. I did whatever they told me because I had gone BM dress shopping earlier that day and I was tired of making decisions. FI is wearing ivory, GM are wearing clover, and my dad is wearing latte.

image.
    BabyName Ticker
  • phillychica85phillychica85 member
    edited December 2011
    I actually loved the ivory look but FI didn't care for it :( I didn't want to push for it as he's been very chill and amenable to most of the wedding decisions I've made lol. The sage though is still a really nice and classic shade of green. He had been eyeing hunter but I def. didn't want that as that doesn't exactly read summer wedding...
    Thanks ladies!

Maui, November 2011
  • steelerschicksteelerschick member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My FI wanted to wear the same burnt orange vest and tie as the GM.  I wanted him to stand out from the rest of the GM so we compromised.  He is wearing an ivory vest with the burnt orange tie. 

• edited December 2011
    The only reason my DH wore a white vest and tie was b/c the groomsmen wore silver vests, and I was not going to make him wear lilac (those were our 2 colors). Nothing else would have looked right, so that's what we went with. Your choices sound good though. My only concern would be, is the pattern bold enough? Of course it all depends on how much FI wants to stand out.
  • ros3392ros3392 member
    edited December 2011
    We haven't picked out the tuxes yet, but last time I talked to FI, he wants to wear all black ("like Johnny Cash" he said ha!). So I will probably have the GM's wear a dark purple vest with green tie, or have them wear all black with a purple tie.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    My husband wore a white vest and tie. That's how I have usually seend it done, and it looks nice. I don't usually like it when the groom matches his groomsmen.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • edited December 2011
    DH wore a white vest and tie, GM wore silver vests and ties. I think it looked nice.

Vacation

• LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So, to be super etiquette police, *technically* men shouldn't be in "white tie" unless they are wearing the most formal style of tux with tails.  Traditionally, that's what "white tie" signifies.  But most people don't follow this rule anymore.

That said... most of the weddings I've been to have featured the groom in a different color from the GMs, whether that is ivory or a different wedding color.  I don't think you can go wrong either way, and I love sage green- that's the color bow ties are GMs will be wearing!  I do think it looks good when the groom stands out somehow from the other guys.

My FI wanted to look like James Bond when he bought his tux, haha :)  So, Bond never wears a vest or a cummerbund, instead he just wears flat front pants and suspenders with a bow tie.  Ok, that's what we'll be doing!  So no vests for us.  FI will be in a basic black bow tie and the GMs will be in sage green, probably with matching pocket squares.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • phillychica85phillychica85 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_curious-tux-vests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:8d23b716-c31d-488e-88e5-bf9920513a23Post:191da42d-9386-4857-a73c-ecb8c56d2f81">Re: Curious about tux vests</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI wanted to look like James Bond when he bought his tux, haha :)  So, Bond never wears a vest or a cummerbund, instead he just wears flat front pants and suspenders with a bow tie.  Ok, that's what we'll be doing!  So no vests for us.  FI will be in a basic black bow tie and the GMs will be in sage green, probably with matching pocket squares.
    Posted by LaFemmeRousse[/QUOTE]

Jen-That is great! FI is also a huge James Bond fan. He didn't go that hardcore with the tux attire but what a neat idea and look for your big day!

Maui, November 2011
  • nicki426nicki426 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just went today to pick out tuxes at Mens Wearhouse and they didnt say anything to us about that. My FI is wearing a apple tie and vest, black shirt and black tux. The guys are all wearing the same but will wear a white shirt. The only one with a black vest will be FI's Dad. And my brother who is walking me down the aisle will look like a miniture version of FI (he is 9 y/o). I think it just depends on what you like and what you want them to wear. Good Luck.
    http://www.weddingwire.com/kevinnicki Wedding Countdown Ticker image 108 Invited! image 85 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out image 05 Are MIA
  • LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Julie :)  I think it will be a nice, different look for the guys!

I can't wait to see how your wedding comes together, too!  LOVE your colors.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards