Ohio-Cincinnati

XP: Gardens of Park Hills or The Grand?

My younger sister is considering both locations for her reception in August of 2011, and I wanted to know if anyone had any feedback on those locations -- your own wedding, weddings you've attended -- anything? She's from OOT, so she's trying to figure out which halls to visit when she's in town in a few weeks.

TIA!

TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF
4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: XP: Gardens of Park Hills or The Grand?

• edited December 2011
    i think it's a matter of preference...  I toured The Grand and thought it was pretty.  Had we not decided to go in the opposite direction and hold our reception at a private residence it was in my top 5.  It is in the heart of downtown Covington and you have to take the parking into consideration (venue may add valet in to the package?? don't recall at the moment).  It's also a one-room venue so no other weddings going on at the same time (big plus for me).  We also liked that it was within walking distance to hotels and Main Strasse in case anyone wanted to stay out after the reception.  HTH!
  • hsnodgrahsnodgra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't look into The Gardens of Park Hills at all, but I did serisouly consider The Grand! I really loved the inside. It is a pretty building and is really big. There are three floors - the top one is a balcony that overlooks the tables & dance floor. Also the people I talked to were really helpful & I'm sure would have been great to work with. Honestly there was only one thing that kept me from booking with them... right next door is a strip club! Hard to miss too... it is literally next door to The Grand & has a big neon sign and everything. Some people may not have a problem with it, but I really did not want that to be the first thing my guests saw as they walked up to my reception :)

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I've never been to a reception at the Grand, and the pictures look pretty, but my issue with it is the entrance is literally right next to Club Venus.  That might not matter to a lot of people, but it's definitely something to take into consideration.

I've been to weddings and other events at the Gardens of Park Hills and thought it was very nice.  The chairs are (or at least look like) chiavari chairs, and food was good.  It is a little more in the 'burbs, and a cab ride to a hotel might be a little more than from the Grand.  Also, if there is a football game going on the same night as a wedding at the Gardens, the parking lot for the Gardens can get very full very quickly.  Overall, I think the Gardens is a great place for a reception.

• edited December 2011
    I have never been to the Grand, but I have attended a ceremony & reception at the Gardens of Park Hills. I was not impressed. I felt like everything there was really cheap and the ceilings were really low (at the ceremony) so it made it feel cramped. That might not bother most brides, but I didn't like it at all. I can't remember the food, but I believe it's catered by McHale's Catering which is pretty good. 

From reading the pp's, the Grand sounds much nicer. But that's my opinion. Has your sister looked into other venues in NKY?
    Anniversary
  • abromanelloabromanello member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I considered The Grand, I also was really impressed with the interior.  For a wedding "hall," I liked that there was only one wedding going on at a time.  But I have to agree with everyone else - Club Venus is RIGHT NEXT DOOR, and while I don't think it's a deal breaker, it definitely was something I considered!  I ended up going with somplace else because I wanted an open air venue, but The Grand was in my top 3.  Sorry, I've never been to your other place.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards