Moms and Maids
Options

2 questions about a bridal party

How many months in advance is ideal to ask people to be in your bridal party? I keep seeing posts about brides who asked people early and regretted it and I don't wanna do that.

My second question is about who I'm contemplating having in my bridal party. I'm thinking my older brother, my good friend, my bro's best friend (who is like another brother to me), and FI's sister. Would it be weird to have a boy, girl, boy girl bridal party? (not necessarily in that order, but you get the point)

I think it sounds good, but I just like to bounce ideas off people and FI is asleep. lol

Re: 2 questions about a bridal party

• Options
    KnibletKniblet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1)  You can wait until 6 months before, if you'd like to.  I know several brides who waited.  Just pick with enough time to make sure they have time to look for attire.

2)  These days, it's up to you who is in your BP.  Plenty of brides are having guys stand up for them.  As long as the guys are comfortable with it, do it.
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a "bridesman" so no, I don't think ti will look weird to have guys on your side.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Six months.
    Invite whoever meets this criteria, regardless of gender:
    Is this person one of my very closest friends, who has been with me through thick and thin and through this courtship with FI?
  • Options
    sctfrk1314sctfrk1314 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i don't think the gender matters at all; pick people who mean a lot to you.

As for when to ask, idk. I asked early but I only asked family members and my bf... people with whom I've had a steady relationship with and who I feel I can turn to for love and support. If you're unsure wait until about 1 year to 8 months before your wedding to ask people. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we haven't officially invited anyone to be in our WP, but everyone knows. Seeing as my MOH and I have been friends for 20 years, and my two BM for 10+...I feel safe in their assumptions. Same goes for FI's GM two of them are fiends from HS and the other two are OUR old roomies and best friends of years. We're planning on having a dinner for our families and those guys in September. So, a year. Which a lot of people say is a no go, but they are so pumped, and these are people who have been so close for so long.

Oh, well. Call me crazy.

On the other hand, I had a girl assume that she was going to be in my WP, I never said anything to her, and then when she found out I wasn't even contemplating her, she flipped and we are no longer friends, even though my wedding was 2 years away at that point. Hmph.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI has one of his female cousins on his side, so I don't think it's strange to members of the opposite gender on your side. :o)

Even though I've known since I got engaged who my bridesmaids would be, I didn't ask until about 9 months before.
  • Options
    emily.ayalaemily.ayala member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you for all your opinions, ladies! I feel good about the people I'd like to have stand up with me. FI looked at me funny when I said I wanted my bro and his best friend up there, but oh well.

xoxob - I'm sorry you had a friend flip out on you. That's a tough situation, although, I can never figure out why someone would just assume they are in a person's wedding.

I actually a friend (who I'd been friends with for about 13 years) ask me to be one of her maids at the same time she told me she was engaged, but then she never said anything about it again. She just sent me an invite to her wedding. I went and there were two girls I'd never seen before as her brides maids. weird.
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you're safe to ask now.  Ask the people who are closest to you - if that includes men, that's great!  We're planning on having a mixed-gender WP too. :)
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    lilcasserslilcassers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    6-7months is good, especially for girls who can be catty and things can change :o)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards