Moms and Maids

At a complete loss as to what to get my girls...

HELP!!!! I am an awful gift giver...birthday's and holiday gifts are hard for me to figure out as well. However, I want to get my girls something exceptional that really means a lot to them. Jewelry for the day of isn't as appealing to me because it's so standard. I also thought of getting them personalized hangers for their dresses, but my mom thinks that they would just get shoved in a closet and not be appreciated later. 

I just don't know what I want to get them to make an impact on them so they know how thankful I am for all their hard work, without coming across cheap or cliche. Thoughts?
The Future Mrs. Crain Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: At a complete loss as to what to get my girls...

• edited December 2011
    I feel your pain.... I am in the same boat you are in... here are some ideas I heard about.

1. pay for their hair and makeup for the day of the  wedding

2. clutches that they can use again

3. jewelry to wear with bmaid dress

4. mongramed bathrobes (they can wear them getting ready for the wedding)

Let me know if you have any other ideas!!!!
  • LoveMuffinsLoveMuffins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

THe problem with Tracy's first suggestion is that if you're requiring them to have their hair and make-up done then you should be paying for it anyway,a nd if you're not then it's really more a gift for you than for them

However you could get them gift certificates to a spa, or put together baskets of things that you know they like - if one girl really likes movies, put together a movie basket with popcorn, a dvd, comfy slippers to watch the movies in, candy, soda, maybe a gift cert for 2 movie tickets, etc. and another girl really likes reading put in a book you know she wants, a bookmark, a booklight, gift cert to bookstore, etc. I"m getting each of my girls diff colored pashminas, because i know they all LOVE pashminas and so i'm choosing colors that i know they'll each like.

one thing about getting them things for the wedding day is that it ends up looking like you're trying to get them to match (jewelry/clutches) and care more about that then you do about thanking them and getting them something for themselves.

good luck!

Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • edited December 2011
    I wasn't very creative. I got my girls all personalized totes  from TK wedding store and davids bridal.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • sparent2010sparent2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the TK wedding totes and was planning to gett hose for them and then put some stuff i know each of them like. I only have 3 BMs so it is a little easier
    Ex My friend Emily loves Corgi's so I am looking for a stuffed Corgi or maybe I will get her some cute stuff for when she buys the puppy to add to the bag. She also loves wine so I am adding a favorite bottle of white wine and some other items I think she would like.
    If you are at a total loss browse amazon's gift pages that is what I do :)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't read your OP since it cut off, but I agree with those who said to make the gifts not WR. A true gift to them would be things that they can enjoy or use and that match what they already like. I got my girls totes filled with things for a cozy night in-- silky robes, spa products, candles, etc. I got all of the items piecemeal a little at a time on holiday clearance sales, from the dollar bin at Michaels, etc. If you give yourself some time and keep an eye out, you can find things that will be meaningful and appreciated.
    Photobucket
  • zoodleszoodles member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For my girls I am buying them bracelets they can wear again - swarovsky or something like that - I have known my girls for s super long time so I am comfy buying them a bit of bling.  I kept my eye out for sales and got some awesome deals.  Jewellry is personal so keeping it classic and simple is good. 

Clutch purses - purses are very personal so can be a bit difficult to buy something like that.

Spa gift certs are good but sometimes it is nice for them to have something to remember things by.  I like the idea of monogrammed bathrobes. and slipping a spa gift card in the bereast pocket is a nice touch - can be lesser denomination - who doesn't like an extra $25 to bump up a half an hour massage to a full hour, or add parafinto their pedicure.

This is one thing I do: I think of three words that describe each BM individually - i.e. modern, fashionista, hepburn.  Then i purchased something that reflected them by the words.  No one says you have to get them all the same gift, just keeping it in the same quality/value area to help decrease jealousy - if you have to worry about that lol.

Hope that helps
  • Hb1686Hb1686 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I couldnt see the link etsy that you posted but I love etsy!  So many cool things on there.  

For my BM's I bought them each a black freshwater pearl necklace and earring set handmade from Etsy.  Yes it is wedding jewelry but I think they can use it again.  

I also bought them each a pair of Victoria Secret Pink Sweatpants and also a cute rhinestone embellished tank that says Bridesmaid.  

I guess I should probably get them something else too that is personal but it is getting expensive!  I am paying for their hair too as well as a night in a nice hotel suite the night before the wedding after the rehersal dinner.  (They all live about an hour from the wedding venue so I thought it would be nice to be there and able to get ready in a nice place in the morning.)

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. So far I have gotten them a monogrammed make up bags that I thought I could fill with personal items that match their style. Then I also got everyone Marilyn Monroe shot glasses that have cutesy statements on them for before the wedding. I think I will get them either a robe or sweatpants for the prewedding activities. Honestly, without breaking the bank, I don't believe there is a single thing I can get them that really will make them understand how appreciative I am of their help. At this point, I just can't afford it. I feel cheap and frustrated, but I can't put any more money into this wedding. It's depressing!
  • amanda52602amanda52602 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello!

I got my girls their favorite bath and body scent..of course they will use it on the wedding day and make them feel great...but its something all my bridesmaids love and will use outside the wedding...hope this helps!
    "I married the love of my life!"
  • amanda52602amanda52602 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Oh and to add to that they are having a sale on the "classic scents" for 3! Thats good for any budget!

"I married the love of my life!"
  • edited December 2011
    Great ideas ladies! I think I will definitely add the Bath and Body Works stuff in there because it is something they can continue to use. It's a nice "stuffer" to go along with a bigger, final gift. Just need that last BIG ticket item that pulls it all together ya know? Something they can use forever, or cherish for a long time, etc, but that doesn't break the bank. Still have to keep thinking since I seriously don't have that perfect thing yet. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards