Military Brides

Marrying someone overseas, please help!

So my fiance is stationed in Italy for the next two years and we are planning on getting married when I finish school which is next June. After we get married, I wanted to just go live in Italy with him, but I am confused because I saw on an earlier post that there is a processing time where we will be married and I won't be able to live with him? Can someone please help me understand this, and tell me if there is any way we can still get married here in the states while he is taking leave then I can go live with him?? Thank you!

Re: Marrying someone overseas, please help!

• meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can get married whenever you want. The issue with you living with him is more complicated.

You can go over there on your own dime any time you like. However, if you want the military to pay for your moving expenses (packing, shipping, flight, etc) you have to play by their rules, meaning process all of the paperwork. After you get married YFI will have to get you into the DEERS system. Then, his orders will have to be re-issued with you on them. Then, you will need to get a visa to go to Italy. All of this takes a number of months. 

Good luck!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • SpunkchinSpunkchin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can get married whenever, on leave, on Mars, tomorrow.

It's getting your Italian Visa and Mil Passport that takes time. It's likely that the military wont pay for you to move you stuff when you do join him, as they don't do that in the states.

Your FI needs to talk to the ID office at his base and talk someone there.
  • edited December 2011
    What branch?

My AF fiancee is in Germany right now, and so we are doing a very similar thing.  He (luckily) has been able to start looking for a house off-base b/c of him getting married. He has gotten his command sponsorship papers and has read through them and assured me that what I need is my passport, and that I will have to have a check up when I get there for medical clearance (but I may be able to that sooner... Haven't heard back yet.) I honestly don't know about the visa... FH didn't have to get one, so Idk if I will.  BUT, with him, they will NOT approve him command sponsorship (which is what he needs to get you on his orders to live in a foreign country legally) until I am "actually" physically present on base. So even though we're planning on getting my military ID and getting me into the system for insurance/finances, etc. I canNOT get listed on his orders until I am physically there - which means it's on my dime.

Also, there are a WHOLE bunch of rules about bringing out a dependent overseas. For instance, FH had to have already served so many months in the military, AND needed to have so many more months LEFT both at that current base (for you Italy) AND active duty in the military. (I know it was at LEAST a year left for us... for both that base and active duty.)  Those he will have to find out b/c I'm sure every base is different, as well as each branch.

And last but not least - if you ARE talking about Aviano AFB, let me know how it is because we have thought about going there next! =)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards