Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress size v. Street size

Does anyone know the common street sizes of wedding gowns?
I hope this question makes sense. I couldn't figure out a better way to phrase it! ;-)

Re: Dress size v. Street size

• I have a Maggie and the size I ordered is the same size I usually wear.  I don't know if its a fluke or she has more normal sizes. 

I should add that my dress has a corset back which allows people to wear a smaller size.

September 2011 August Siggy Challenge- Drag Queens!! imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I, too, have a Maggie dress and it is true to my size.  I also have a corset back too.
  • It varies with designer. Sometimes you can wear your street size. Sometimes you need to go up a couple.

No matter what, you figure out what size on the designer's size chart corresponds to each of your measurements, and then order the largest. It is easy to have a dress taken in to fit you perfectly, but not so easy to have it let out.
  • Thank you so much ladies!!
  • CvilleClaireCvilleClaire member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2010
    Most bridal sizes are actually the "real" sizes and haven't changed all that much over time.  The clothes we have at the mall are sized with "vanity sizing" and change every few years.

I wish companies would just publish their charts.  It would make things a little easier, wouldn't it?
  • I ALSO have a Maggie..and it's true to my street size as well (with a corset back too). Love it!
  • My store assistant actually told me that dresses are sized smaller.  the dress i chose is actually a size larger than my pants size. Go by measurements instead of tag size.
  • My Casablanca dress was Size 10 and I'm street size 4/6
  • I wore a Sottero & Midgley with a corset back. I am street size 7 in pants and my dress was a size 10.
  • my J.Crew dress is my true size.
  • My Watters dress is my true size (4).
  • I am a street size 2-6 depending on the brand (mostly 4) and my Sottero & Midgley is a 4 (I hit the measurements exactly).  it also has a corset back.
  • I think it depends on the style of the dress too.  Ball gowns with corset backs are much different that a tight fitted mermaid when it comes to what size you could order. 

When I tried on dresses at David's Bridal, she said they normally go up a size from your pants size.  I wear a 3/5 in pants so she brought me out a 6 and it was HUGE.  Then she brought a 4, it was still too big, even the 2 would need to be taken in.  But it was also a dress more fitted at the top and flowy towards the hips, which is where I'm a little bigger.  If I had something super fitted, I'd probably need the bigger size for my hips, then alter down the top.
    Anniversary
  • I ordered the Pronovias Formentera in size 2 and my street size is 0 or 00
  • im usually a 2 or 4 depending on the company and my dress is a 2
  • I have an Allure gown - I ordered size 6 which is what I typically wear in other clothes and it fits perfect.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Like other ladies have said it depends on the designer but it also depends on the dress style.
    I wear a 14 in jeans.
     My drop waist dress is a 12 Allure.
    I fit anywhere between a 10 and a 18 depending on the style and designer.

i.e. I needed a 16 for the Mori Lee fit and flare I almost got.
    Oct '11 Siggy Challenge: imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-size-v-street-size?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:21ece76e-01b4-48f9-81e6-7bc427e52ef0Post:3d67258d-300b-47d2-a6bd-6cac7575c20d">Re: Dress size v. Street size</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Like other ladies have said it depends on the designer but it also depends on the dress style.</strong> I wear a 14 in jeans.  My drop waist dress is a 12 Allure. I fit anywhere between a 10 and a 18 depending on the style and designer. i.e. I needed a 16 for the Mori Lee fit and flare I almost got.
    Posted by tonyscutieest09[/QUOTE]

Definitely. A lot of pp said their Maggie's were their street size, but I wear a 4 and my measurements had me in a 0 in the chest and waist, and an 8 with my thigh measurement.
    imageimageimage
  • Thank you, thank you! This is sooo helpful :-)
  • You definitely can't go by the numbers on wedding dresses, mine was a size 12 and I bought it off the rack since it fit well (in fact, I probably could have ordered a size larger if I had ordered).  I'm street size 4 petite usually.  Go figure!
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • I had the vice versa affect. All dresses I tried on were 3 sizes smaller then my street size, but I have wide hips and a very small waist..so keep that in mind!
  • My Monique Lhuillier was a 10 and my street size is a 6.  I had on a Vera Wang 8 and although I could zip it up, I couldn't breathe well!

Like PP said, it depends on the designer and the style of the dress.  A lot of designers do not use the vanity sizing of street clothes, so it isn't that they are made smaller, it is that they use true sizing.
  • It seems like most people's dress size is bigger than their street size but I am the opposite.  I wear a street size 10 and ordered a size 8 gown (Alfred Sung), which I think will still need to be taken in at the bust.
  • It is true that a lot of these dresses (bridal/bridesmaid) are made smaller. I have a BM who is big boned (street size with dresses is 16) and the dress (Belsoie by Jasmine) put her up to a 22! So she had to pay a "plus size" fee - which I think is so wrong! You're basically penalizing someone for being big boned.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards