Hawaii

Maui Wedding in September...Any Beach Location suggestions?

Hello,

My Name is Tami. My fiance and I are getting married in Maui on Thurs. Sept. 23.

I just joined the knot in hopes of finding some great tips. =)

We think we have a pretty good idea of what we're going to do, but we haven't booked anything yet. Do you have any suggestions for sunset beach locations? I really like Kapalua Bay, but my fiance is concerned that it's in the rainbelt. We are definitely getting married on the west side. Makena Cove is a strong runner up. Any suggestions/feedback would be great!
Thanks!

Re: Maui Wedding in September...Any Beach Location suggestions?

• edited December 2011
    Where are you guys staying? Kapalua is a good one hour+ drive away from Baby Beach...

Personally I love the Kapalua area, though there's always a chance of sprinkles there.
  • tamiv33tamiv33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We haven't booked anything yet but we are planning to stay at Napili shore, most likely.  Our wedding coordinator has suggested both Baby beach and Makena cove on two occasions. What are your thoughts on Makena cove?

Thanks so much for your input!
  • mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Makena Cove looks gorgeous!!! The water there in the morning is a brilliant blue and the black lava rock is stunning. If I didn't have so many people coming, I would definitely have picked that location. It's pretty private, the only thing you would have to worry about is other couples getting married there the same day- it's kind of first come, first serve.
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Makena is gorgeous! We almost did a TTD shoot there, except there were 4 weddings going on! But, that's one of the risks of beach weddings! =P What day of the week are you getting married on? Weekends tend to be far more crowded, as the locals are out too.
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So Makena Cove is on the south side of Maui.  It's pretty far from Kaanapali and the west side resorts.  The south side is reportedly ideal, though, for weddings because it's drier there.  Makena Cove is really popular for weddings, but I hear that its parking lot is pretty small, so it's not ideal if you'll have more than 15 or so guests.  

Don't know anything about the other beaches, though, because we prefer the south side.
  • tamiv33tamiv33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married on a Thursday, so hopefully that will be less crowded. Plus we hear that September isn't one of the more popular months due to the heat. So..hopefully crowds will be minimal. =) Our families are planning to stay in Maalea Bay and near Kihei, so I guess it would be ideal to have the wedding down there. We are set on staying In napali though. We don't mind driving 45+ min...we live in New England and are used to commuting everywhere. Plus that will give us a little space when we just want to do things one on one. Oh, and our guest list will not exceed 15..so parking shouldn't be an issue...

Thanks for all the input. This website is wonderful!
  • edited December 2011
    Hello!  I'm getting married on Maui the same week as you and am considering Makena.  We are aiming for the 21st or 22nd though.  Do you mind sharing some hotel ideas in your area (ones that you considered or that family is using). We've only received recommendations for west side.  Are you using a wedding planner?  I haven't decided which we are using yet.
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_maui-wedding-septemberany-beach-location-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:57fb1d0a-b971-45f4-b9b9-a91af67e4e64Post:1e5b7724-b217-4cf0-aa6c-d19ddea48a20">Re: Maui Wedding in September...Any Beach Location suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello!  I'm getting married on Maui the same week as you and am considering Makena.  We are aiming for the 21st or 22nd though.  Do you mind sharing some hotel ideas in your area (ones that you considered or that family is using). We've only received recommendations for west side.  Are you using a wedding planner?  I haven't decided which we are using yet.
    Posted by valerie.cannell[/QUOTE]
    Valerie,  While there are hotels all over the island, you may have more luck if you look for condos.  Either way, you can find great reviews on the Maui Revealed website (and if you haven't bought the book yet, you should).  Here's the site that can get you started - <a href="http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauaerials.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauaerials.html</a>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards