Maryland-Baltimore

Catering HELP!

What would be the average for catering per person for buffet? For seated? I just started searching & have no idea what would be a good deal or not!

We are getting married at the Baltimore Museum of Industry & they have a list of preferred caterers... so we are limited to theirs.

Re: Catering HELP!

• edited December 2011
    Well I only got 1 price so far... & that was Atlantic Caterers & they want $50.25 per person buffet style! Buffet is cheaper then the seated dinner. Not including alcohol. Just seems like a lot!

Their list of caterers are:

Absolutely Perfect Catering 410-579-8777
    Cameo Caterers 410-342-6960
    Mothers Federal Hill Grille 410-244-8686
    Accomac Catering 717-252-2288
    Charles Levine Caterers 410-363-0900
    Biddle Street Catering 410-727-7777
    Classic Catering People 410-356-1666
    Dionysus Kitchen 410-744-4300
    Innovative Gourmet 410-363-1317
    Putting On The Ritz 301-725-4220
    Sascha’s Catering 410-539-6103
    Simply Elegant Catering 410-484-4554
    Atlantic Caterers 410-254-6662
    Zeffert & Gold Catering 410-281-1124
    Hunt Valley Catering 410-343-3553

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland-baltimore_catering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:85Discussion:e4cedc3a-5c26-497d-a644-b0fa9d7eb1a8Post:b93524f8-d568-465a-8774-24b0cc447dc8">Re: Catering HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You got engaged on my wedding day! =)
    Posted by lovethebeach16[/QUOTE]

aww cute! congrats! :)
  • weezie825weezie825 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Atlantic Caterers is great.   A lot is included in their package that you have to pay seperately for with other caterers, like their package includes the cost of the wedding cake.

We used Atlantic for our wedding and were very pleased.  A friend of mine used Hunt Valley catering and she really liked the food, but said the coordinator was a little hard to get a hold of.  (But that was 6 years ago!)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland-baltimore_catering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:85Discussion:e4cedc3a-5c26-497d-a644-b0fa9d7eb1a8Post:8b53c98d-59c4-4721-a706-007cbfb2f3c7">Re: Catering HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Atlantic Caterers is great.   A lot is included in their package that you have to pay seperately for with other caterers, like their package includes the cost of the wedding cake. We used Atlantic for our wedding and were very pleased.  A friend of mine used Hunt Valley catering and she really liked the food, but said the coordinator was a little hard to get a hold of.  (But that was 6 years ago!)
    Posted by weezie825[/QUOTE]

I've heard great things about Atlantic... that's why I went to them first! :)

I just don't want my mom overpaying, I guess is what I'm getting at. Just don't know what is the average cost per person so I can tell if it's a good deal or overpriced.
  • edited December 2011
    $50 pp not bad. I've too seen $80, even $100 from certain venues/caterers! lol
    January AAW Signature Challenge:Wedding Must-Have: A shot or 4
    Photobucket

*insert sarcastic musing here...or jazz hands*
  • edited December 2011
    We paid about $40 pp plus alcohol and staff fees.  That was the lowest price we found for a cocktail style reception. 

Buffets are sometimes less expensive, but not always.  Remember that while a sit down dinner might take more staff to serve the food, the caterer might have to prepare more food for a buffet.

If your venue allows it, see if you can go with a caterer that lets you bring your own alcohol.  It saves a ton in markup as long as you're not charged corkage fees.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland-baltimore_catering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:85Discussion:e4cedc3a-5c26-497d-a644-b0fa9d7eb1a8Post:d81ff341-573d-43d5-9afe-776b5ba8cb24">Re: Catering HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We paid about $40 pp plus alcohol and staff fees.  That was the lowest price we found for a cocktail style reception.  Buffets are sometimes less expensive, but not always.  Remember that while a sit down dinner might take more staff to serve the food, the caterer might have to prepare more food for a buffet. If your venue allows it, see if you can go with a caterer that lets you bring your own alcohol.  It saves a ton in markup as long as you're not charged corkage fees.
    Posted by gottahavashorti[/QUOTE]

Atlantic does allow us to bring our own alcohol if we choose to... do you go through a liquor store or a warehouse? It just seems like it would be a hassle to bring it... how does that work?
  • edited December 2011
    We lived in PA so we purchased as stuff went on sale at the state store, did tastings at local wineries and purchased from them over the course of a few months, and bought beer at the beer distributor the week before the wedding.  We loaded it into DH's trunk the night before, he and the GM unloaded it at the venue and Dean & Brown took care of it from there.  It was pretty easy.

I think most people go through a liquor store.  Some places will also allow you to return unopened bottles after the wedding.
  • weezie825weezie825 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I know I am biased towards Atlantic, but in reference to your, "I just want to be sure we are getting a good deal," comment...  On the list of approved caterers you provided Atlantic and Hunt Valley are probably the 2 cheapest options of the ones that I recognize 

Good Deals with regards to price, consistently good reviews-
    Atlantic Caterers
    Hunt Valley Catering

Ones that get good reviews, but don't know the price range-
    Biddle Street Catering
    Sascha’s Catering
    Putting On The Ritz

I've heard mixed Reviews-
    Dionysus Kitchen

Ones that I know are Pricey-
    Classic Catering People
    Innovative Gourmet (Most Expensive in the CITY!)
    Simply Elegant Catering
    Zeffert & Gold Catering (However, can do Kosher, if you need that.)

Ones I have Never heard of-  (After being on this board for about 3 years!)
    Absolutely Perfect Catering
    Cameo Caterers
    Mothers Federal Hill Grille
    Accomac Catering
    Charles Levine Caterers

Suprisingly Absent from the approved list:
    Dean & Brown- a very popular caterer with a relatively low per person starting price.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards