Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Memphis Elopement- Need Help!

So the hubby to be and I are going to Elvis Week in August in Memphis. I've never been to a courthouse wedding, what we're doing, so I'm not really sure what I'm doing here. The plan is to get the license, marry, then have a little party
afterwards at like Marlowe's or something. What happens
during?
soyou just repeat the vows the judge says then he signs the license and you're married? Does the judge require some kind of fee? I googled it for a while but still a little confused. How many witnesses do i need? And is there a list of Memphis judges somewhere who can do this? Also is there a limit of people who can see the cermony? Bc we have about 15 friends who wanna be there for it. Please let me know! Thank you so much!

Btw, we're having the big wedding 8-11-2011!!!

Re: Memphis Elopement- Need Help!

• *you repeat the vows the judge says then he signs the license and you're married?
  • Btw, we're having the big wedding 8-11-2011!!!

Oh, dear.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• I'm confused..... Sounds like you havent really thought through getting married in mephis, nor do you understand how any of it would work. Why are you planning on eloping then getting married again in Aug. 2011?? I'm thinking there is more to this story....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_memphis-elopement-need?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:39151fc5-9ced-4431-804f-4c83433e8c93Post:c96b1bcd-e26d-40aa-a556-a22537fc3517">Memphis Elopement- Need Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So the hubby to be and I are going to Elvis Week in August in Memphis. I've never been to a courthouse wedding, what we're doing, so I'm not really sure what I'm doing here. The plan is to get the license, marry, then have a little party afterwards at like Marlowe's or something. What happens during? soyou just repeat the vows the judge says then he signs the license and you're married? Does the judge require some kind of fee? I googled it for a while but still a little confused. How many witnesses do i need? And is there a list of Memphis judges somewhere who can do this? Also is there a limit of people who can see the cermony? Bc we have about 15 friends who wanna be there for it. Please let me know! Thank you so much! Btw, we're having the big wedding 8-11-2011!!!
    Posted by brittany0811[/QUOTE]

You can't really have the "big wedding" in 2011 if you do the Elvis thing in 2010.  Why?  BECAUSE YOU'RE ALREADY MARRIED.

You either get the Elvis elopement or the "big wedding", but not both.

I want to hear the rest of the reasons for the Elvis elopement, and why you feel you need to do that, when you're already planning a "big wedding" for the following year?

I see three options here:

#1:  The Elvis wedding is your wedding.

#2:  You move the "big wedding" up to 8-2010.

#3:  You wait to get married until 8-2011.

But you don't get to choose any combination of the above options. You make a decision and then live with the consequences of your decision.  That's what grown-ups do.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards