July 2012 Weddings

maybe TMI QOTD

The topic came up between friends as it's such a personal preference.

Do you prefer a male or female OBGYN? And why?

Re: maybe TMI QOTD

• I would have to say female. I feel like women know better about those things since they themselves have them/experience them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I have male I think I feel more comfortable with him because I feel like females judge you. I know stupid reasoning but eh whateves.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Female for sure! I am such a prude when it comes to things like that. I seriously don't know how I'm ever gonna have a baby haha.
    Photobucket
  • Honestly, I don't care, but I feel like female OBGYNs are more in tune to what we're going through because they're women too, but to be honest, male OBGYNs tend to be gentler, at least for me :-P
  • I've only been to a female OBGYN... I definitely feel more comfortable with a female doctor over a male doctor. 
    imageAnniversary
  • Female for sure! Even though I have been having difficulties finding one that I like and isn't a total B, I might start looking at males.

Anniversary
  • I prefer a male. I just feel more comfortable with them. I don't care that much but both of my children were delivered by male OBGYN's.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have no preference.  I have no problems talking about issues with discussing personal problems with either gender.

I have only been to the OBGYN like, 2 times in my life.  1 for a UTI and the other for a regular check.  I felt like the one that I went to was too pressuring in trying to get me to use the pill.  I tried it and didn't like it so I never went back because he kind of made it seem like I was the problem, not the pill.
  • Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Yeah I hear males are much gentler. In fact my mom refuses to see women because she says they're all cold, rough b!tches lol. But it doesn't make much sense to me...a man working with something he has no experience with. Plus I feel much more comfortable around a woman.
  • BmoreBride311BmoreBride311 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    That's funny you should ask, b/c my FI just asked me two weeks ago. He is in med school and just did his OBGYN rotation. He was getting annoyed b/c SO many women refused to let him observe their appointments / procedures.

I think I slightly prefer a male doctor, but I couldn't tell you why. Maybe it's what Bells said... I'm not sure. I would take either, though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I prefer males. I don't know why but female ob/gyn make me uncomfortable. Lol
  • Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    In Response to Re:maybe TMI QOTD:[QUOTE]That's funny you should ask, b/c my FI just asked me two weeks ago. He is in med school and just did his OBGYN rotation. He was getting annoyed b/c SO many women refused to let him observe their appointments / procedures. I think I slightly prefer a male doctor, but I couldn't tell you why. Maybe it's what Bells said... I'm not sure. I would take either, though. Posted by BmoreBride311[/QUOTE]

Hmm yeah I dunno, I could understand many women being uncomfortable with that. Haha I know they're doctors but I'd still feel like he's there doing just that...observing my business lol! Poor your FI!
  • Doesn't really matter to me. As long as they get the job done and nicely- I'm all good.

doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've had both.  I liked my female OB/GYN when I was younger.  She made me feel very comfortable and I don't know if at that age I would have been ok with a guy. 

The last two I've had have been guys, the current one I have is awesome and explains everything to me and has figured out most of my problems which is awesome.

So I'd say male only because this guy is so great but really I don't have a preference.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_maybe-tmi-qotd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a94a2bf8-daba-43ea-b2a6-d11cd8df5b5bPost:b4e6eb9b-da55-4b35-9ad8-d8e02f101d98">Re: maybe TMI QOTD</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have male I think I feel more comfortable with him because I feel like females judge you. I know stupid reasoning but eh whateves.
    Posted by bells24412[/QUOTE]

I'm the opposite of this - I feel like males judge you.  I know it's probably stupid too, but I would never feel comfortable talking about some of the things that come up with a male.
  • Female.  I don't know if it's a preference, but I have only been to females since I was 15.

imageVacation
  • Do you prefer a male or female OBGYN? And why?  I always had a male doctor until 3 years ago.. Now I have a female one and I love her.  She makes me feel much more comfortable and and like she actually care about what I have to say.  My last male doctor made me feel like I was only there so he could swipe my card and cash out.  He never cared about what I was telling him.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • I don't really care. I've seen both but I only go in once a year for a pap (sometimes less than that, I know it's bad) since I've never had any issues, so I've only been like 6ish times. And I think I mentally block everything in the appointment out because it's so uncomfotable. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've always been to a female, although the first one I really hated. I was 15 (still a virgin), but she seriously accused me of not being a virgin lol And at that age, it's a HUGE deal! Ironically, I went to her because I was uncomfortable with the thought of a male.

My other three doctors have been fine. I'm "shopping" for a new one now since mine left her practice last year...and I'm kind of at the point where I don't care. I wasn't a huge fan of my last doctor though, so maybe I will go with male this time.
    imageAnniversary
  • I have been with my male gynecologist since I was 18. He is basically a family friend (my mom was one of his very first patients and I was one of the very first babies he ever delivered!) We get along so well I would never consider going to anyone else until/if he retires. I don't think gender really matters, though, I have never even thought about it.
  • I've been with the same Male Gyn. since I was 13.  He was my sister's gyn and I had to start going because my doctor suspected I had endometriosis.  It turns out I did/do.  My gyn is known in the area as a leading gyn in the area of endometriosis, so I am extremely comfortable with him.  He has known me and my sister (who also has endo) for so long it is hilarious when I go in to see him.  I always have to update him on my life and family.  Lol.  It's like "let's have a personal conversation...now i'll spread my legs..." Haha

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_maybe-tmi-qotd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a94a2bf8-daba-43ea-b2a6-d11cd8df5b5bPost:a862c8e3-c7c1-44a4-9579-d347ec39c399">Re:maybe TMI QOTD</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah I hear males are much gentler. In fact my mom refuses to see women because she says they're all cold, rough b!tches lol. But it doesn't make much sense to me...a man working with something he has no experience with. Plus I feel much more comfortable around a woman.
    Posted by Nati05[/QUOTE]

I agree with your mom 100%.

I've seen two women, and two men - both the male OBGYN's were considerate, gentle, listened,  and helped. The women were rough, didn't care about my painful menstrual cramps, and accused me of lying about my sexual activity because I had a yeast infection. ( I was a virgin - but one of the female doctors said there's no way I was because I had the yeast...uhm..what?)

The OBGYN I see now is great. He's an older gentleman, he listens, and cured my menstrual difficulties.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards