Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Alaska Honeymoon?!?

So my FI and I saw The Proposal this weekend (cute and funny movie by the way) and it took place in Alaska. After about 15 minutes we both turn to eachother and were like "honeymoon?" haha so i'm wondering if anyone had their honeymoon there or thought it would be a fun place? We were going to push our honeymoon back to January and go somewhere tropical but if we did Alaska we could do it right after the wedding and it would be when it's always light out there. We both love fishing and hiking and stuff, I'm just wondering what else there is to do there. TIA!
Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image

Re: Alaska Honeymoon?!?

• Emily&DuncanEmily&Duncan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not quite a honeymoon, but when I was in high school my grandparents took the whole family on a cruise in Alaska for their 50th wedding anniversary. It was a lot of fun and very beautiful. I would recommend Alaska to anyone. The only thing is we went in late July and it was still kinda chilly. You're not going to get a lot of chance for beaches and sunbathing. We mostly did a lot of hiking when not on the boat, but there are so many cool small towns to explore with a lot of interesting history. Sorry I don't have more advice, but I would highly recommend it. On a totally unrelated note, FI and I decided to get a toller. We are picking up our fuzzy baby on Saturday. Your advice was really helpful.
  • edited December 2011
    OMG are you serious? I want to see puppy pics when you get it! You are going to love it! Is it a boy or girl? What's it's name? I'm pretty jealous that you are getting a puppy toller! I met my FI when Nico was 10 months so he was pretty much full grown then!Oh and thanks for the Alaska advice haha.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image
  • doxx0048doxx0048 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My co-worker just got back from a vacation in Alaska and had a great time.  There certainly was no lack of sun since it was light out 24hrs/day.  Her photos were amazing too!  They went to Anchorage, Seward, Wasilla (just for fun), Fairbanks, North Pole, and Talkeetna.  They did everything from taking a plane and flying to the Arctic Circle, taking a cruise and seeing whales, porpoises, and other animals,  train rides throughout the state from destination to destination, a riverboat cruise, a flight seeing tour of Denali, along with other things as well. They also stayed at lake home cottages instead of hotels which were AMAZING!!  Although they didn't do a lot of hiking and fishing since she was there with her 6 mo. old baby, I could tell from the photos that there were plenty of great stops to do all outdoor activities.Also, my greandparents (early 60's)  took an Alaskan Cruise this past winter and got the opportunity to stop at various ports and see quite a bit of the state.  They said that they preferred the cruise vs traveling the state in a car since they enjoyed waking up in a new city each day with no effort on their part.
  • jaramlerjaramler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went on a cruise to Alaska on Royal Caribbean several summers back with my family.  It was so much fun.  I believe we went in late July or early August and it was definitely chilly.  I wore a fleece jacket and a down vest almost the whole time.  But it was really cool and I would definitely recommend it.  I know it was a pretty expensive vacation, but I've heard there are a lot of great deals on cruises right now, so you might find it to be more affordable that it would normally be.  And as I'm sure you already know, the cruises only operate in the summer, so a winter cruise is out. We went to Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway.  We also saw Hubbard Glacier and the Misty Fjords.  At the ports there were various things to do including some shopping.  Alaska, at least at the time, does not have any state sales tax, so there were a lot of jewelry stores.  I went kayaking with my mom, my brothers and my dad went fishing, we went on a train ride tour, we saw a few other glaciers and hiking/sightseeing tours.  I can't really remember what else we did but it was beautiful.  I would definitely recommend checking into it if you like outdoorsy stuff, but your skin will not see any sun the whole time - you'll be bundled up!If you have any other questions, let me know :)PS I saw The Proposal and it was so good! 
  • jaramlerjaramler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, where I was, it wasn't light out 24/7.  So I don't know if it depends where in Alaska you are, or exactly the time of year you go, or what.  But like I said, I was there in July or August and it did get dark at night.  And during the day it was pretty much gloomy out all the time.  We really didn't see any sun that I can remember.  Very cloudy.  Although we were obviously right on the ocean or the coast the whole time so that may make the weather different than if you were in, say Fairbanks which is landlocked.
  • SmonetSmonet member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just booked our HM to Alaska. We used Macy's Travela and got a great deal. We are going to do some fishing/hiking/helicopter rides/biking. We are taking the cruise route though. This way we can have the relaxation in between. We are flying into Seattle and spending a day there before hand then leaving from there. I'd reccomend it from what I've heard!
    photo 120812_44341.jpg
  • flower_loverflower_lover member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went to Alaska a couple years ago in June. Honestly, I don't know if I'd recommend it for a honeymoon. I'm not sure what month you're going in, but it was still really cold there even in June. DH has a picture of me on a whale/animal watching cruise where I have on a winter jacket, ear warmers, mittens, long pants, and boots, with the caption, "Pam celebrates summer in Alaska" :-).The warmest days were around 55 or 60 for the high temp, and about 60% of the time it was really cloudy.We went to Anchorage, Seward, Homer, and Mt. McKinley area. I had a friend who had a summer job up there and said the weather we had was typical for June. I've heard that "summer" is July and that's it.We are very outdoorsy people and like to hike, ride bikes, kayak, etc. It was too cold and the water was too rough to go kayaking. We did go white water rafting and had to wear dry suits because it was so cold. We tried to ride bikes and both times it was unpleasant, very windy, cold, and rainy. I've travelled to about 20 countries and all over the US, and  honestly, Alaska is about 1-2 of all the places I've been that I wouldn't return to. It's beautiful, but I'm a freeze-baby and it was just too cold for me! I'm glad I saw it, but I don't think a honeymoon there is for everyone. Depends on what you're into.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards