California-Bay Area

Looking for a great photographer any recommendations?

I've been meeting with a couple photographers but none seem to really catch my attention. I'm looking for a photographer who is creative and really captures the moment. I believe having the right photographer is really important & it could be very stressful as many of you might know we want to invest in someone who is really worth it. So any recommendations please let me know!!
~steph~

Re: Looking for a great photographer any recommendations?

• edited December 2011
    I'm using Opal Moments Photography! She is awesome and really has beautiful work! She's great to work with as well. She does a lot of candid shots as well as posed ones and so she would probably really capture moments like you mentioned. This was important to us too! HTH
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard great things about Liz Edlunds.

I used Norbert von der Groeben and thought he did a great job.
  • GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using a SoCal photographer, but he often does NorCal weddings for an extra $500.  Check out Andre Niesing... his blog is fantastic.  If that doesn't catch your eye, I don't know what will.  I went for him for the exact reason you said... no SF photograph really caught my eye.  But just be aware... not all of his photos will turn out great.  My engagement photos were beautiful, but not as great as the ones on his blog.  I don't look like a model, we had bad weather, and the scenery wasn't as great.

http://www.anphotoblog.com/
  • edited December 2011
    check out the How to find a photographer post below this thread.
    i'm using Brion Hopkins.  he's based out of santa barbara -  but doesnt charge to travel w/in California.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a fan of Sam Hassas.  He's definitely a fun guy, too. 

Also, some good friends of ours used Jesse Leake -- I would strongly advise AGAINST using him.  He showed up with plenty of attitude, and the work did not match.
  • edited December 2011
    thank you all! I will deffinately go ahead and check some of the photographers you guys mentioned. I currently met with Rosaura Sandoval she is great i love all her work and she is just so friendly! However, her prices are not cheap. After going back and fort we came to a somewhat conclusion.... She is charging me $4,390 for 8 hour coverage, two phtographers, 10x10 flush mount album (thick) comes with 15 pages, 30 sides with a maximum of 60 images, engament session,  1 engament phto to be printed for display @ wedding, images edited for color balance, skin tone, brightness, and contrast, private online proofing gallery with shopping cart to share with loved ones for 180 days, all hi-res photographs, and fully edited on archival DVD. What do you guys think? is this a reasonable price?
    ~steph~
  • GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I think so.  For that price, my photographer won't even give me the DVD of the photos.  I kind of regret it now.  I also get a much smaller album.
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Steph, that is in line with what I've seen from several photographers. I'm paying less than that, but I have a smaller photo budget.
  • mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    Photography in the Bay Area is expensive.  I paid less but that's because I just wanted the photography and the DVD/rights afterwards. If that price is too high for you, could you order a smaller package and do more on your own?  I was able to upload all the photos into shutterfly so my friends/relatives could order their own copies, and I ordered the prints myself and designed my own photobooks.  I heard that mpix is even better, but my parents and ILs loved the shutterfly books I made, no qualms with the quality of the print or paper.
  • s500953s500953 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I currently live in the KC area, but have a friend that does awesome photography in the SF/Berkeley area. Check out Dreambox Photography. Tea Ho is the photographer and takes AMAZING photos with custom made packages. Check it out at http://dreamboxphotography.com/index.php
  • Gracel27Gracel27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ooh, Rosaura's work looks beautiful!! $4000 seems about standard for what I've been seeing with Bay Area photographers. And I think it's totally reasonable for a talented photographer.
  • edited December 2011
    If you're still looking for a photog we got a great price from Rebekah Dotson Photography. Our wedding isn't till Oct, but we've met with her and she's really nice.  My fiance has a very critical eye for photography and he loves the stuff she showed us. I think we're paying a little under 2K for 6 hours and a DVD of all pics (no prints or albums).   
  • edited December 2011
    You could always book a photographer from out of state that is awesome and affordable and fly them in for your wedding. thanks what a lot of my clients do with me :)

ww.freshinlove.com

• edited December 2011
    I am using Danielle Gillette she is amazing and very creative. She really captured what i wanted already witht he engagement pictures. She was recomended to me by a couple of my friends.
    Good luck hope this helps.
  • edited December 2011
    I actually have an amazing photographer i work with all the time he does a lot of my wedding photo shoots for my make up portfolio his name is Ricky Craig he charges amazing prices for his pictures and gets the CD's made within a week and straight to you.

you can check his facebook out and see his pictures and send him a message if you are interested good luck and congrats!KissLM
  • edited December 2011
    @steph Are you still looking for a photographer? 
  • edited December 2011
    We met with two really great photographers before choosing a third who suited our style (and budget) better.  I loved them all though:
    Loic Nicholas: http://loicphoto.com/
    Karna Roe (the photographer we chose): http://www.kmrphotography.com/
    Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    i got a quote from loic for our wedding on december 23rd (a friday) and he was really rude about it. he kept saying that it was on christmas eve so he'd have to consult his family and he would have to charge more. first of all, 12/23 IS NOT CHRISTMAS EVE. he really pissed me off.  i found a photographer from sacramento who travels to the bay area and got a really good rate. $1550 for unlimited hours and 2 photographers and we get the rights to our pictures. i saw her work and it's the style i was looking for. her name is shawn nicole and the company is modernlite.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • angeleeoangeleeo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am a certified photographer in the sacramento area.  I am very flexible on my prices and hours. Check out my website and contact me if you have any questions or if your interested.  I hope to hear from you. Thank You.
    Angelee Ortega.
    www.angeleesphotography.shutterfly.com

• mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    Reported.  Vendors are not allowed to post on this forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards