Wedding Etiquette Forum

time travel poll

Re: time travel poll

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_time-travel-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d289a950-4a75-49e8-97b7-c397839769fdPost:5c912974-86fe-4173-90a4-10cff14d3a26">Re: time travel poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]1) 4) If you could ilve anywhere in any time in history, when and where would it be? This SOUNDS offensive coming out, but new orleans in the early 1800s. <strong>Im mulatto and I think it would have been so glamourous to be a quadroon and go to the balls and be a kept woman.
    </strong>Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

I never knew this Nebb :).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_time-travel-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d289a950-4a75-49e8-97b7-c397839769fdPost:21e8cbd7-3f20-4800-8d68-9c5400319718">Re: time travel poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: time travel poll : Believe it or not, I think this was actually hotter in the book than it was in the movie. Although it Keira Knightley is totally crushworthy.
    Posted by ac_in_dc[/QUOTE]

Whaaa? I need to read the book then. I was in grad school when it was 'hot' so I didn't get around to it with all my other reading.

And yes, Nebb, SO sad. It makes it almost hotter though to know they have such undying passion no matter what.
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_time-travel-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d289a950-4a75-49e8-97b7-c397839769fdPost:1fa67092-4edf-4d4c-9fae-a774ed25f77c">Re: time travel poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: time travel poll : I never knew this Nebb :).
    Posted by Moneypenny424[/QUOTE]
    Yup, my moms side of the family is black - I dont show it in photos because they are all fairly light, but I am! My grandmother traced her roots to a plantation in south carolina somewhere. Its one of my great regrets I never asked for this information before she died.
  • 1) What is your favourite era in history?  Ancient Egypt and Tudor England
    2) What is your favourite period piece movie?  Sense and Sensibility/BBC Pride and Prejudice
    3) What is your favourite time period of fashion (hoop skirts, bustles, queen elizabeth type dresses?)  1940s-early 1960s...Keira Knightley's entire wardrobe in the Duchess
    4) If you could ilve anywhere in any time in history, when and where would it be?  Ancient Egypt probably.  Or maybe 1920s Paris with Josephine Baker :)
  • 1) What is your favourite era in history? The Gilded Age, apparently, since I'm going to be writing about it.
    2) What is your favourite period piece movie? Evita
    3) What is your favourite time period of fashion (hoop skirts, bustles, queen elizabeth type dresses?) I'd want the clothes from Evita. Smart little suits, hundreds of pairs of Mary Janes - I wish I could dress like that any day.
    4) If you could ilve anywhere in any time in history, when and where would it be? Well, it would have been cool to be around in the 50s and 60s when pop music was actually really exciting. Further back, I wish I could go back to a time when Harpo Marx was alive so I could meet him. Going even further, I'd like to finally know the answer to who made this sculpture called the Laocoon. It's a big mystery.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • 1) What is your favourite era in history? The renaissance. I love the art and all of the inventions. Leonardo Di Vinci is an amazing person to me.
    2) What is your favourite period piece movie? I love Gone with the Wind. Scarlet is an awesome character.
    3) What is your favourite time period of fashion (hoop skirts, bustles, queen elizabeth type dresses?)  The forties, I love the hats and flapper outfits. I wish the forties were in style right now instead of the 80s. I have the hardest time finding clothes that I like.
    4) If you could ilve anywhere in any time in history, when and where would it be? The twenties. I hear they were roaring.
  • 1) What is your favourite era in history? Toughie, Maybe Ancient Egypt.
    2) What is your favourite period piece movie? not movie, series: Rome. I like the movie Elizabeth too.
    3) What is your favourite time period of fashion (hoop skirts, bustles, queen elizabeth type dresses?) I like a lot of 20's-50's america, kinda broad, but I love all the hats and gloves and tailored coats..
    4) If you could ilve anywhere in any time in history, when and where would it be? 1920's flapper... like Sally in Cabaret (I know that was later just like her)

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_time-travel-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d289a950-4a75-49e8-97b7-c397839769fdPost:2df7dc4f-2496-483e-8153-05c6739cee7f">Re: time travel poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: time travel poll : Whaaa? I need to read the book then. I was in grad school when it was 'hot' so I didn't get around to it with all my other reading. And yes, Nebb, SO sad. It makes it almost hotter though to know they have such undying passion no matter what.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

Yep, definitely read the book--agreed that the scene in the book is hotter!  Though part of it might be that I knew the ending when I finally saw the movie, so it might have ruined part of that scene for me.
  • edited May 2010
    I'm late but the library sex scene makes me giddy. It is so much hotter in the book, and Briony isn't as creepy as in the movie either.

I think I actually felt heartbroken at the ending. Not just boo that's sad *tear* but actually the moody weepy nobody-understands kind of heartbroken, haha... it was a rough time ;)
  • NebbNebb member
    Hmm it seems I am going to have to pick this book up!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_time-travel-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d289a950-4a75-49e8-97b7-c397839769fdPost:09f629b6-751a-488d-80e4-d22a2103e36b">Re: time travel poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: time travel poll : Yup, my moms side of the family is black - I dont show it in photos because they are all fairly light, but I am! My grandmother traced her roots to a plantation in south carolina somewhere. Its one of my great regrets I never asked for this information before she died.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

That's amazing!  It would be good information to know--but perhaps it isn't all lost.
  • NebbNebb member
    I actually think the name briony is such a pretty name, I love how different names were in older eras.
  • reddy we can be flappers together.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_time-travel-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d289a950-4a75-49e8-97b7-c397839769fdPost:3bbef87e-1f38-4a13-b9e4-63a98ed3ac78">Re: time travel poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]reddy we can be flappers together.
    Posted by miss.jawright[/QUOTE]

<div>I probably would pick the 40's-50's for the clothes, but I just think it'd be so cool to be part of that rebellion... I'm no Betty Draper (but damn, I love her clothes!)</div>
    Photobucket
  • I love hearing about older names. Except for the men: Wadsworth, Higgins... Napoleon is kind of a cool name though.
  • I want a driver I refer to as Chadwick, Yes, yes I do.
  • NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_time-travel-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d289a950-4a75-49e8-97b7-c397839769fdPost:1fd60342-5db1-4324-9b30-3e1408450b79">Re: time travel poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I want a driver I refer to as Chadwick, Yes, yes I do.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]
    HAH, I would like that too.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_time-travel-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d289a950-4a75-49e8-97b7-c397839769fdPost:204e802d-7cc4-48df-a69d-6b955a963347">Re: time travel poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: time travel poll : shhhh patient! I was busy reading the latest knottie secrets... 1) What is your favourite era in history? My latest obsession is the Tudor era. I'm in the middle of an Alison Weir book. She's pretty good, but she bounces around a lot with the timeline. 4) If you could ilve anywhere in any time in history, when and where would it be? Washington DC during women's suffrage. I would totally kick some butt there. Keep in mind that there are TONS of times and places I would love to live... but I had to realisticaly think of running water, workable toilets, the plague, and the fact that I'm Jewish... that one alone narrowed down my choices. I would want to have fun in my era, and being burned at the stake is not fun, from what I've read...
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

If you like Alison Weir, check out Antonia Fraser.  Much better in my opinion.  I'm pretty obsessed with Tudor England (predating the show) and I find her work to be the best.

I had the same reasoning that you did for where I would go back in time.  Let's face it, as a black person, there are lots of times I wouldn't go to!
  • I'm a historian and this is hard. Not because I love everything, but because I know too much about other places and times. Too much to want to live then.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Quick pop over to Byron and that god-awful mother of his before running along to tea with Wippleston. Chop chop, Chadwick! 

These are things I imagine I would say if I had a British accent.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_time-travel-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d289a950-4a75-49e8-97b7-c397839769fdPost:2c1eeb2a-0c14-4658-b5e2-2ef42da1d7da">Re: time travel poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a historian and this is hard. Not because I love everything, but because I know too much about other places and times. Too much to want to live then.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. For instance, ancient Rome? There's something that historians of Roman art call "the shitt article", and yeah, it is horrifying.
    imageimage
  • NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_time-travel-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d289a950-4a75-49e8-97b7-c397839769fdPost:62e6a05d-5665-480c-acbe-3ecea1b6b158">Re: time travel poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: time travel poll : I feel the same way. For instance, ancient Rome? There's something that historians of Roman art call "<strong>the shitt article</strong>", and yeah, it is horrifying.
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]
    What is THAT???
  • 1) What is your favourite era in history? I don't really know the names of eras very well. I'm not historyish.
    2) What is your favourite period piece movie? Emma.
    3) What is your favourite time period of fashion (hoop skirts, bustles, queen elizabeth type dresses?)  40s and 50s, I think.
    4) If you could ilve anywhere in any time in history, when and where would it be? The 50s. Then I wouldn't have to worry about anyone side-eyeing my stay at home wife life. Well. Stay at home fiance. Which I guess they would side-eye, as I'd be a fornicator. Whatever. You get my drift.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_time-travel-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d289a950-4a75-49e8-97b7-c397839769fdPost:2c1eeb2a-0c14-4658-b5e2-2ef42da1d7da">Re: time travel poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a historian and this is hard. Not because I love everything, but because I know too much about other places and times. Too much to want to live then.
    posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, and I'm not a historian. So much of the past seems so brutal and violent. It makes me wonder what our time period will look like in a couple of hundred years.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_time-travel-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d289a950-4a75-49e8-97b7-c397839769fdPost:dd1fd281-11e0-4b4b-97db-b46c10809ec8">Re: time travel poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: time travel poll : What is THAT???
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

It's terrible. All about how people left their grandmas to rot in the gutter and get eaten by dogs, and how they threw shitt out the window so that it was everywhere, and how political prisoners were dismembered and then eaten by vultures, so if you were on your way to the forum you always had to watch out for vultures dropping body parts on your head. And it goes on and on like that for 40 pages. Lots of dead baby stuff too. Makes Rome sound pretty awful.
    imageimage
  • That is awful, Sarah. And I always thought Gladiator was so sexy!
  • NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_time-travel-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d289a950-4a75-49e8-97b7-c397839769fdPost:bc66ded4-5ec5-4306-814f-be437667379e">Re: time travel poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: time travel poll : It's terrible. All about how people left their grandmas to rot in the gutter and get eaten by dogs, and how they threw shitt out the window so that it was everywhere, and how political prisoners were dismembered and then eaten by vultures, so if you were on your way to the forum you always had to watch out for vultures dropping body parts on your head. And it goes on and on like that for 40 pages. Lots of dead baby stuff too. Makes Rome sound pretty awful.
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]
    Oh my god.. well i didnt know THAT.. I knew about the vomitoriums and the weird shiit they ate, but not that!
  • Yeah it's pretty awful. I learned so much terrible stuff about Rome when I was taking my minor. Also apparently, the lavatories involved a communal sponge that you would use, wash out, and then leave for the next person.
    imageimage
  • communal sponge. gag.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_time-travel-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d289a950-4a75-49e8-97b7-c397839769fdPost:3cea5a97-0ce8-49a7-aaa9-d383c6ff0c0d">Re: time travel poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love Scarlett - I think that's mostly because so much of it takes place on Charleston and Ireland.  I haven't brought myself to see the movie because I've heard it's absolutely awful.
    Posted by arbolita[/QUOTE]

<div>This. I read the book right after I read GWTW when I was 14 or so. Man, no wonder they couldn't fit all of GWTW into one movie. It was over 800 pages.</div><div>
    </div><div>Jasmine I LOVE A River Runs Through It. <3 Montana. It's one of my favorites. </div><div>
    </div><div>I think I'm the only person who didn't love Atonement. The ending ruined it for me. I love the name Briony, though.</div>
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards