South Asian Weddings

Reception Food

Hey guys, What did you serve at your reception in terms of food? Did you go the all indian food route or the fancy steak sit down dinner? I have only been to weddings with either a buffet or sit down with steak/prime rib etc and everyone seemed fine with it. I was thinking if we bring in our own caterers if they would do like indian appetizers and then just steak or whatever options we give them. Did you go with a caterer who specializes in indian food? or someone that has all food and can do indian options. Another option is that FI and I LOOOOOVE BBQ its our favorite thing ever. BBQ is significantly cheaper than a sit down meal, but I am worried because I am going to be wearing a Sari and most of the guests will be wearing fancy Sari's so BBQ sauce might get messy. Do you think the SA people will be concerned with BBQ? (both sides of our family is meat eaters maybe 1 or 2 people are vegetarians)

Re: Reception Food

• edited December 2011
    We are having alot of fusion food (appetizers and dinner).  The chef at the resort is "learning" how to make some indian food...it should be interesting.    But in my opinion, bbq may be a little messy in your bridal wear.  Maybe you could have BBQ for one of the other wedding events? 
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    I agree about the BBQ -- delicious but definitely messy for the reception especially for all the ladies. I would have it at one of the other events -- maybe the mehndi or sangeet or rehearsal dinner? We are doing family style Indian food catered from an Indian restaurant and it's essentially North Indian food for the reception so pretty standard I would say. We are serving both vegetarian and non-veg options and they will be served at the table to be shared.
  • Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the others on the BBQ.  I think it would be great for a pre-wedding event like a rehearsal dinner or mehndi but it would be too messy for the wedding.  DH and I are both indian - our venue was a hotel so we brought in our own SA caterer.  During the cocktail hour we had passed apps as well as stations and for dinner, food was served buffet style.  We had a mix of veg and non-veg options.
  • edited December 2011
    Our menu is fusion -- the appetizers for the cocktail hour are half Indian, half American. Then our guests had three choices for the meal: steak, chicken tikka masala, or palak paneer.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing a western style sit down dinner, with a lamb masala roll appetizer as a "touch" of Indian flavour. There are a few touches of Chinese flavour as well (my heritage). For dessert, we're doing a buffet of traditional Indian and Chinese sweets.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    We're almost certainly doing food stations, unless we get a ton of No RSVPs.  (Our venue doesn't like to do sit-down for more than 150.)  We have to use our venue for our reception catering, and it would be too much for them to learn Indian dishes, so we'll probably do a Southern Station, a mashed potato bar, a Mediterranean station, and a Mexican station.  Right now the Mexican station is fajitas, which I'm thinking may be too messy, so that one may get updated.  We'll probably bring in gajar ka halwa for dessert and I'm going to see if the venue can do mango lassi. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thats my concern is that the caterer might think its too much to learn how to make indian food. Also a lot of venues have required vendors. BBQ is out, I think for the Rehersal dinner we will do that. Ohhh a potato bar...YUMM!
  • edited December 2011
    We did the sit down thing with filet, chicken, and veggie wellington as our options.  We also had a pasta course of mushroom ravioli and everyone raved about how good our food was.  We had a few indian style passed hors d'oeuvres as well as some asian hors d'oeuvres.  The only people who didn't like the food were my relatives from the village in India who don't eat anything but homecooked freshly made food.  It was really disheartening that they wouldn't even try anything new but everyone else said it was the best food they've ever had at a wedding.I would do the BBQ at the rehearsal dinner if possible.  It's just messy to eat elegantly.
  • edited December 2011
    My family is used to the full-on, NY-style steak sit-down dinner for weddings.  My husband's family is used to the vegetarian Indian buffet.  We compromised.  Kind of.  We had a buffet with Indian-accented foods (tandoori chicken, a sweet potato curry, cabbage salad with mint/cumin, naan, etc.) and plain-Jane food that my meat-and-potatoes family would like (balsamic glazed salmon, mashed potatoes).  We had no beef.  I was so nervous about that!  I thought my family/friends would be so weirded out not to have filet as one of their food options, but everything worked out fine and, obviously, the ILs were happy we didn't have beef.  Our cocktail hour had a mix of Indian and non-Indian appetizers.  The Indian appetizers were samosas and lentil cakes with mint/cilantro chutney.  For us, we mostly had to make sure we had tons of vegetarian options.  At our Hindu ceremony, the temple catered the lunch and it was off-the-hook-authentic South Indian veg food with some North Indian favorites.  I'm totally hungry now, btw. Rye, I'm sorry to hear those folks didn't even try the food at your wedding.  That would make me so mad!  But some people are just set in their ways.  You really can't please everyone.  My mom loved our wedding food, as did my husband's parents, so I was happy about that.  One of my family members remarked that the chicken was a little too "curry-ish" for her tastes, though.  WHATEVS! 
  • erin&andyerin&andy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing stations with Mexican (chicken enchiladas - I know, weird for a wedding but it's a family recipe - and red snapper in a tomatillo sauce wrapped in a banana leaf) and Indian options (goat curry and tandoori chicken along with veg options) Being from Texas, yes we love our bbq, but even for a wedding it's just too messy for most of us.  Doesn't mean it can't be done and it doesn't mean I haven't been to weddings that served it, but I think you could find something easier for your guests. Dublin - my mom and dad were right on the verge of throwing a fit when we told them we weren't going to have beef at the wedding.  They're ok with it now, but they really wanted beef for some reason.  
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, Dublin.  My parents and I are so over it.  I feel bad that the relatives are still at my parents' house and my mom is expected to do everything for them!As for the beef thing - we had huge arguments about that.  My parents didn't want us to have it, but I grew up eating it (not often, but it wasn't taboo in our house) so I thought it was hypocritical not to have it.  My dad was concered with what the family from India would think and I wanted my inlaws to be happy.  Nearly all my inlaws ordered the beef, but so did surprisingly a lot of Indians (from the states, not India).  My parents said it was a good decision to have it since everyone who ordered it enjoyed it and the ones who had the opinion about it being served didn't eat anything anyway.
  • edited December 2011
    Ryesbread! that sucks they didn't eat the food, but when you have people coming from abroad who have no idea its hard for them to figure it out. FI's grandma is Punjabi and when we went to Fi's half sisters wedding his grandma didn't know how to eat the salmon dish so we just went to an indian place afterwards to get her food. She only eats Dahl and roti everyday... At least now all the worries are over and you can relax with your DH.
  • edited December 2011
    Erin, isn't it funny how we whiteys get hung up on the beef??  Your menu sounds super delicious, btw.  I want to come to your wedding! Rye, I hope those aunties gave you a nice gift at least!  Just kidding.
  • erin&andyerin&andy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dublin, I live in Texas so it's a double hang up when it comes to beef!  It seems like we Texans love our beef!
  • edited December 2011
    we did a western style sit down dinner, and western apps for the cocktail hour before the reception even though DH and I are both Indian.  My mom and I were kind of stuck on a formal, sit down dinner.  DH's parents were a bit paranoid about not having Indian food because our crowd was mostly SA and you know how aunties and uncle can be about not getting their chicken tikka at weddings.  It actually turned out ok, and later everyone, including ILs RAVED about the food.  my grandparents were here from India, and they're pretty intensely vegetarian, so we had indian food made and brought to the hall and served to them separately.  We gave people 4 entree choices, two veggie, two non-veg seeing as my family is 99% vegetarian.  i think you can go either way, but i'm with pp about BBQ at the rehearsal dinner or another pre-wedding event.  even if your wedding lunch is BBQ that'll be more mangeable than for the reception dinner. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards