Wedding Etiquette Forum

Kitty Problem-Please Advise!

My FI and I are staying with friends who have two cats. The friends are away for the weekend so we're just keeping an eye on the cats to make sure they have water, etc. We're not cat people (I'm allergic, FI is a dog person) so we haven't interacted with the cats too much other than to scold them for being in our room. One of the cats slipped out the door and outside. We chased it from deck to deck trying to coax it to come out with kitty food, and its toys and treats. At one point a neighbor tried to help us and it ran away for good and is now nowhere to be found. And it just went full dark.Right now, we have both the front door and the door to the deck open, with my friends shirt at the deck door. We're hoping it will decide to come back. The other cat is in the basement with the litter box so he doesn't run away either.Any advice you can think of that may help to coax it back inside?

Re: Kitty Problem-Please Advise!

• Leave out very smelly wet cat food.  Call your local animal control.  It's not their job, but sometimes if you explain nicely they will come help you find it.Call your friends and explain what happened.  If this happened to my cats, I'd want to know, even though I'd be piissed.  Also, they might know something you don't--my aunt's cat "slips" out the door regularly, and reappears a few hours later at the back door every time feeling very smug.And please don't punish the cats by sticking them in the basement. 
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • OMG are they outside or indoor cats?? I would totally freak if one of my cats got out and ran away while in the care of someone else, not going to lie- my cat was like my child. My cat never went outside so I don't know how to help. I really think you need to call your friends ASAP- that is not something they are going to want to come home to find. Especially if they are close to the cats. In he meantime- can you start patrolling the neighborhood with flashlights?? I hope the cat comes home soon! Good luck :(
  • Have you tried putting an opened can of tuna just inside the open deck door. far enough in that the cat has to be inside inorder to eat it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • does the cat like tuna? Mine did- maybe put some open cans of tuna by the doors??
  • I agree with the putting out food idea and with calling your friends.  I'd also suggest putting food/water down with the other cat...and interacting with the cats some.
    BFP#1 11.9.10 (EDD 7.15.11) M/C 11.13.10 @5W1D
    BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11 due to Pre-E
    BFP#3 10.2.12 (EDD 6.12.13) MMC 11.24.12 @11.5w, had passed in 7th week
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    My Chart Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~
  • I'd be out there all night callling his/her name.  If it's an indoor cat he's probably holed up and scared somewhere.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• Thanks for the advice...unfortunately, our friends are camping at Pennsic, so I don't think they're going to get a message until late tonight, although I am going to call and let them know what is going on.I feel terrible....I know how much they love the cats and I'm not quite sure what the reaction is going to be.I would let the other cat out, but he will take off through the open doors and I'm more concerned with getting Remus back in than Leonard being annoyed. The basement is finished and they have toys, so he should be okay.
  • Like PPs said, contact the owners and leave some food outside. He'll come back - especially once he gets hungry.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Oh good kitty!  I'm glad it all worked out.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• try putting an open can of Tuna in each of the entry ways....or catnip......I hope the kitty returns shortly.....
  • ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    What about shaking some treats? Or doing what PPs said and putting an open can of wet food/tuna outdoors?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards