Missouri-Kansas City

OOT guests--help!

My FI and I are new to the KC area and haven't had too much time to explore and get to know the area.  My sister and mom are visiting from Chicago in two weeks--any suggestions?  They're not really history/monument/museum people, but they'd appreciate great shopping/some pretty views/good restaurants.  They definitely want KC BBQ, so we're going to Arthur Bryant's (yum), but that's all that's been planned so far.  TIA!
two years!
after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
Pregnancy Ticker
Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart

Re: OOT guests--help!

• edited December 2011
    My FI and I love the Country Club Plaza area. Lots to see, shop and do. There are some really great places to eat there too. www.countryclubplaza.com
  • edited December 2011
    definitely recommend the plaza; especially on a friday or saturday night! there is live music playing and all sorts!!jack stack is phenomenal for bbq; i don't recommend gates AT ALL!!
    jenifriend
    may flower
  • Brie2010Brie2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  Definitely will check out the plaza area. As for BBQ, we've tried all three--we didn't like Gates, but loved Arthur Bryant's and liked Jack Stack. 
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • edited December 2011
    We're new to the area as well.  We love Jack Stack's for BBQ (in fact, they are catering our wedding), but its a little pricey.  I like going to Power and Light District and the Plaza.  Also, maybe take them to a Tbones baseball game if they're sports fans (or even if they're not, like me!)?  That's cheaper and more fun than a Royal's game!
  • edited December 2011
    You should take them to City Market on Saturday morning for a HUGE farmers market, and lots of international cuisine!!
  • edited December 2011
    I love taking out of towners to T-Bone games, our local minor league baseball team.  The tickets are CHEAP and the food and beer are reasonable, no like at a real ball park.  Stay away from the seats along the first base line (the sun in your eyes) Plaza is good, also brookside and waldo also have some great independent bars and restaurants. 
  • edited December 2011
    Arthur Bryants is very good you get quite a bit of food for the money!! I also like Jack Stack (Although, they are pretty pricey but well worth the splurge). Also, I love Smokehouse BBQ very good food!!! :)Country Club Plaza is pretty good and nice to go around!! I also recommend Zona Rosa- Very good shopping up there!!  www.zonarosa.comCity Market as someone mentioned is wonderful on Saturdays!! I haven't been to Power and light district yet but will be going very soon!! I have been in KC my whole life and KC for a while has been a little slow but over the past few years KC I feel is really coming up, and starting to improve.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards