Muslim Weddings

Well, this is new!

Re: Well, this is new!

• edited December 2011
    I am glad they got this up :)
  • edited December 2011
    Hello!  I've met a couple girls on the South Asian board and one on my month board who are doing Muslim weddings.  I'm excited to meet new people.  I hope there are enough of us to keep this board active.I'm a revert myself, so I'm still catching on to things, but boy have we had some issues dealing with separating out the cultural from the religious!  My wedding is in just under a month now!
  • jaf071984jaf071984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sweet!  This is exciting.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm here too! :-)
  • edited December 2011
    Shall we introduce ourselves?FI is Indian, I think his family is pretty mainstream for Indian Muslims -- relatively liberal for sure.  I'm white, I was raised Catholic, but I reverted in November.Our Nikah is August 15.  We're doing a very westernized Nikah: we're doing a processional and recessional with music, I'm present and on stage the whole time, signing for myself (this is not common in their tradition), and we have added some "interfaith" type elements to it to help my family feel comfortable.  We're also doing an American-style reception with dancing.I'm also curious what everyone is doing for Mahr.  Our current plan is that because FI does not want the engagement and wedding ring to be my sole property, his parents have bought my wedding jewelry and that this will be my Mahr.
  • AjaKareemAjaKareem member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wish this board had shown up sooner - my wedding is Saturday! FI is an Egyptian Muslim, and I am a Christian American. We are having an interfaith ceremony. It took quite a while to work out all the details, but we finally settled on something that everyone is happy with. We are having two officiants who will "preside" over different sections of the ceremony. After the wedding, I'll update my bio with more details. (Just don't have time now!) I hope that will be a help to others who are planning Muslim or interfaith weddings.
  • edited December 2011
    Salaam,I'm an American Muslim convert and my fiance's family is from Pakistan.  We are having a western style wedding with a Nikah outside and reception to follow.  This will be the first Islamic wedding that most of my family and friends have ever attended so I am really excited.  Our program is filled with explanations and I hope everyone have the opportunity to understand more about Muslim marriage and Islam.  I'm glad they have this board up but I'm surprised they are so few of us!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi! I am a revert (former Christian) Irish girl, my FI is a Palestinian Muslim. He was born here in the U.S. and is very modern/liberal. He thinks his family is too, but after finally having met them I don't have the same interpretation. Well, his sister is great, but I think his mom (dad passed away 15 years ago) only accepts me because I reverted. We are planning to marry in Oct '10, but I know nothing of the traditions/requirements/ceremonies. 

We will have a nikah, but I want to find some way to make my christian family members feel comfortable....I'm not sure how to do that. Does the nikah have to be at my FI's home? Can we do it at a hotel or something more neutral? If I don't usually wear hijab except when I go to the mosque do I need to wear one for the nikah? Would it be completely insane to try to wear a sleeveless (but still conservative) wedding dress?

Does the reception have to be a different day (my FI tells me it usually is, and sometimes there's actually a lot of time between the nikah and the reception, which I don't want). 

Help me!! I'm completely lost! Please!!!!
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi clozgoblu,

Congrats!  I am a muslim but like your FI very liberal.  So I will try to answer some question that I can but don't completely depend upon them.  Since I am not from Palestine, culturally it might vary.

Nikah does not have to be at your FI's home, you can do it in a Masjid or do it in a hotel or a banquet halls of some kind.  Usually an imam will be willing to travel and perform the nikah at another location.  I have seen muslim weddings in the past, where he came in the evening to a hotel ballroom and performed the nikah with all guests present. 

You don't necessarily have to wear a hijab, but your head needs to be covered for sure.

Sleeveless is kind of risky.  I guess it depends on religious his family is, but I would look for something with some sort of sleeves.  I would say the best person to work with is your FI's sister.  She can probably help you out tramendously. 

The time between the nikah and reception depends on the family from an indian culture point of view.  What we are doing is having the ceremony (nikah/shaadi) on Saturday night and reception is the following day.  But yeah you could have the reception like a week later from the nikah.  It is not unheard of. 

I hope some of my answer help you out.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Salaam Hinaj - thanks! All the info is very helpful! I figured out that I can still the kind of dress I like as long as I also buy one of those little wedding jackets to wear over it. Good compromise I think!

Can I ask more about your plan to also have a western style wedding? How did you decide to do that? Was your FI supportive of that? Was his family? Who officiates in that case? I would like to try to do that too...I think my FI would be fine with that, but I have a feeling his family would not be. I'm not really sure how my family is going to feel about the nikah either. I'm very nervous at this point. Is your wedding soon?
  • edited December 2011
    Hinaj forgive me...I confused the posting from hstellan with yours. So sorry!
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No Problem, good luck to you!
  • pinkflybutterpinkflybutter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Assalamualaikum.. I just found this forum thread !Smile
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey pink  this board doesn't really see that much activity.  Most of us are in the South Asian board. 
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Muslim Brides,
    Congratulations to all you beautiful Muslim brides. If you every need any beauty advice for your big day, pls go to www.kc-makeup.com

Good luck!

• edited December 2011
    Sisters, please go listen to "The Fiqh of Love" lecture set by Sheikh Yasir Birjas.. maybe Yasir Qadhi... one of them. lol. It's AMAZING!! It prepared me for married and I listened to it over and over again. There are some great lectures out there and seminars to attend. There's a wealth of knowledge. You just need to find it. Let me know if there is anything that needs to be clarified!
  • edited December 2011

i do like this board...im looking 4 african-american sunni muslims....converts/reverts...what ever

Prophet Muhammad(pbuh)said:"Nikah(marriage)is my Sunnah. He/She who shuns my Sunnah is not of me.?
  • edited December 2011
    Dont mind me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards